1/9" twist rate for 223

Discussion in 'Small Stuff--22s, 20s, and 17s' started by fdennis, Dec 2, 2011.

1. GSRswapandslow

GSRswapandslow

yes it's true....you can't "over stabilize" a bullet. you can sheer the jacket if you're pushing a tiny bullet at stupid speed...but a 50gr would be perfectly fine in a 1:8.

hell..look how many ar guys shoot 50's! most of them are 1:7 now!

I shoot the 50gr z/v-max out of my rem sps tactical (1:9) and they shoot amazingly well. I'm playing with more heavy bullets now...but I'm thinking the 50gr and wc844 will be my fall back on load

2. FroggyOne2

FroggyOne2

If your 8 twist will not shoot the SIE 52 & 53 gr bullets, you have a bad bbl! ;D I wouldn't worry to much about shooting the 50 grain class of bullets in an 8 twist. My opinion is that is the best all round bbl twist for the 223! Wish that more factory rifles came with the 8 twist bbl.

3. jhelmuth

jhelmuth

You do have to be careful on running light bullets with faster twist rates at excessive fps. Now - where that is, I can't tell ya. But you CAN run faster speeds with the same bullet in a slower twist. Wheather that is stabil - or not - is dependant on the ability of the bullet to be stabilized by that twist rate. IE - you can't stabilize an 80gr .223 bullet with a 1:12 twist - period.

Just FYI.... its actually the bering length of the bullet that matters in twist rates, but that is relational to the bullet shape/design and increases with weight. Therefore, most people quote bullet weights for twist. While this is technically wrong, it is pretty reliable and realistic as long as you don't hung up on the "tweener" size/weights.

4. FroggyOne2

FroggyOne2

My opinion is, is that if you are wishing to shoot the lil pills fast, go with a slower twist, like a twelve twist. But if you want more diversity from one bbl, 8 twist.

5. webfoot56

webfoot56

I have one of those 1 in 9 remington mil-spec rifles and once I got a couple hundred rounds down the barrel seems to shoot everything well. Only thing I have had done is my gunsmith cleaned that trigger up with the engagement surfaces and set the pull weight. He also did not like the crown of the barrel--he said it was alright but recut a new one anyway. I am happy with it.