1/9" twist rate for 223

Discussion in 'Small Stuff--22s, 20s, and 17s' started by fdennis, Dec 2, 2011.

1. fdennis

fdennis

I'm thinking of buying a Remington 700 5r mil spec in 223 caliber. The barrel has a 1" to 9" twist rate. Is that twist rate too fast to handle 40 grain, 50 grain, 55 grain bullets, at around 3300-3500 fps? If not, I'll buy a 700 VS SF II in 223. Thanks. DH

2. Terry

Terry Gold $$ Contributor

It is not too fast. My 1:9 Savage .223 shoots 30's to 80's very well.

Have fun!

Terry

3. fdennis

fdennis

Thanks for the info, Terry

4. areaone

areaone

I have a 22 250 Hart barrel 1/8 twist and will shoot 55 gr. Sierras great(3497 fps). dont think twice DO IT..

5. k80skeet

k80skeet

Yup, I agree with Terry my Savage with a 1 in 9 twist shoots everything under 1/2" and the 69 & 73gr in the low 2's.

6. fdennis

fdennis

I guess that means I buy the Rem. 700 5R Mil.Spec. instead of the VS SF II. That means I give up 2" in barrel length, thus less velocity, but I gain the ability to shoot heavier bullets. Is there any difference, in terms of inherent accuracy, between the two rifles? All else being the same, that comes down to the barrels, and that comes down to the twist rate. Or am I missing something?

7. A_Gamehog

A_Gamehog

all my 9 twist .223's shoot 34's thru 75's

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. gregori

gregori

1 in 9 is the best all around twist in my own opinion. on the velocity thing,i have a 223 sps that i had chopped to 18 inches. i lost 120 fps from a 26 to 18 and my group size shrank in half.my only regret is that i used a 12 twist rifle for this experiment, wish i had a 9. but i dont think you will notice 2 inches worth of velocity in the two rifles you have to choose from, but you might want to shoot heavier bullets someday. you can always shoot lighter bullets with a faster twist but you cant shoot the heavies with slow twist. i would get the 9 twist and never look back! good luck.
    greg

9. k80skeet

k80skeet

Why don't you think about buying a Savage their Quailty is way ahead of todays Remington's.

10. fdennis

fdennis

I started out looking (on line at Savage's website) at Savage rifles, and I was interested, but what turned me away from Savage is I have never seen a Savage rifle. Never been able to touch one. I'm familiar with Remington rifles, having owned a couple, so I know what they look like, what their fit and finsh is like, and I can go to any one of several gun shops and look some more. I am reluctant to buy a rifle I've never seen. If I could see an actual Savage rifle in the models I'm interested in (generally varmint or target) I certainly would consider a Savage. From what I've read Savage makes a pretty accurate rifle, and out of the box accuracy is what I want most of all, but still, I want a rifle that is well finished.

11. Ole

Ole

If your only going to shoot up to 55gr bullets then buy the VS-SFII, if you plan on shooting up to 70-77gr bullets then buy the 5R.

Tom

12. paul223

paul223

I have 2 Savage rifles with accutriggers 22lr and 223. I am now looking at Rem 700 5r in 223 with the same 1:9 twist as my savage - why because of the "accutrigger". It is not reliableand buying a suitable replacement is impossible. Out of the box the Savage is worth every penny, but finding components for accuracy improvements are a bit harder.

13. fr3db3ar

fr3db3ar There's no rest for the wicked......I'm tired

Could you expound on the accutrigger being "not reliable" ?

all of mine have been extremely reliable IMO

14. The Rifle Basix SAV-2 is badass. I love mine. It breaks at about 6 oz like a glass rod.

15. My 1-8 twist Benchmark 223 barrel is 20" and it hammers at 600 yards.

16. paul223

paul223

17. hogpatrol

hogpatrol Don't criticize the farmer with your mouth full. Gold $$ Contributor

Remington's are known for their long throats. I'd be leery of buying one in .223 if you want to shoot the very lightweight bullets. They may not touch the lands or even get close. If I were buying one, I'd take the lightest bullet I want to shoot and check it with the OAL gauge to see if the bullet is still in the case when it's up against the lands. I have three 17 fireballs and none of them can shoot the 20 grain bullet unless they jump .060. Up against the lands, the bullet is in the neck less than .070 and none shoot worth a damn unless they're jammed .005. As an aside, I am NOT a fan of Remington rifles. Actions, yes. Rifles NO. Have you considered CZs? Waaay better quality. Hog

18. paul223

paul223

19. fr3db3ar

fr3db3ar There's no rest for the wicked......I'm tired

I know remmies are different but in my Stevens I couldn't get a 80 barely inserted in the case to touch my lands.

20. K22

K22

Is this really true, no disrespect intended. Reason I ask is that I've been looking at a Tikka T3 Lite in 223 but the dealer can only get it with an 8" twist. I want to shoot 50 or 55 grain bullets (Nosler BT's) and was concerned about accuracy and ability to drive the those bullet weights in the 3100 to 3200 f/s range with that fast of twist.

Based on my research, there seems to be differences of opinions on this. Perhaps there is no definitive answer and it may depend on the indiviual rifle - I don't know.

I really like the Tikka T3 Lite - I have one in 243 and would like to have one in 223 but I'm warily of the 8" twist. Their website lists a 12" twist model but the dealer tells me that those are not being imported into the US. Go figure that one! :(