• This Forum is for adults 18 years of age or over. By continuing to use this Forum you are confirming that you are 18 or older. No content shall be viewed by any person under 18 in California.

Remington agrees to `retrofit’ several million rifles

wedgy

Gold $$ Contributor
Remington agrees to `retrofit’ several million rifles


Richard Barber, who spent 14 years investigating a Remington Arms Co. rifle’s trigger mechanism that he says was defective and caused the death of his son, talks Friday about the settlement of a class-action lawsuit that will lead to the recall of perhaps millions of the rifles, and replacement of the trigger mechanisms.



BOZEMAN – The Remington Arms Co., seeking to settle claims that its iconic Model 700 bolt-action rifle and other rifles have defective trigger mechanisms that led to injuries and deaths, agreed Friday to replace the trigger mechanism in millions of weapons.

The massive recall, proposed in a settlement filed late Friday in federal court in Kansas City, Mo., also culminates a 14-year crusade by Montana resident Richard Barber, whose son, Gus, died after being shot when a Model 700 fired accidentally in 2000.

Barber, of Manhattan, said Friday he hopes the recall will end up saving many Remington rifle-owners from harm or death – and that was his goal all along.

“I did this to serve and protect others,” he said in an interview in Bozeman. “I made a promise to Gus, three days after he died, that I would never be bought off and that I would never quit, until I effected change. …

“When I was doing this, I heard it a thousand times that one person can’t make a difference, so why even try? I never believed it.”

Barber spent years researching the trigger mechanism in the Model 700 and pushing for a recall, saying a defect in the mechanism caused rifles sometimes to fire without the trigger being pulled.

The proposed settlement still must be approved by U.S. District Judge Ortrie Smith of Kansas City, after which the recall process would occur.

Court documents filed Friday said the models affected by the settlement include 7.85 million rifles sold in the United States – but not all of those can or need to be retrofitted with new trigger mechanisms.

Remington, while admitting no wrongdoing, agreed to an extensive recall and retrofit of its rifles or, in some cases, a small payment for older rifles that can’t be retrofitted.

The proposed settlement includes:
•For Models 700, Seven, Sportsman 78 and 673 rifles, the company will remove the original Walker trigger mechanism and replace it with a new X-Mark Pro mechanism.
•• For Models 710, 715 and 770, the company will remove the original trigger mechanism and replace it with a Model 770 connector-less mechanism.
•For Models 600, 660, XP-100, 721, 722 and 725, the company will provide vouchers of $12.50 or $10, depending on the model, redeemable for Remington products. These rifles are between 32 and 62 years old, and cannot be retrofitted with a connector-less trigger mechanism.
•Models 700 and Seven rifles made between May 2006 and April 9, 2014, with an X-Mark Pro trigger mechanism, will be retrofitted with a new assembly. Earlier this year, Remington had recalled these weapons, after discovering a flaw in the new trigger mechanism.

Remington said it will pay the costs of the repairs and the shipping of any weapon that’s repaired. The company also said once the settlement is approved, it will advertise via press release, direct notices, a website and social media how rifle-owners can file claim forms to get their weapons repaired.

The company also agreed to pay the eight named plaintiffs in the class-action lawsuit $2,500 each for their “time and effort” associated with the case – and $12.5 million to the plaintiffs’ attorneys, subject to approval by the court.

Barber, who settled his own lawsuit against Remington years ago, said his lengthy crusade almost bankrupted his family, and that he’s been doing most of his work on the case without pay.

He also complimented Remington Arms officials for agreeing to the recall and working toward a settlement that would protect rifle owners.

“I’m sympathetic to the company that now owns Remington,” he said. “They’re doing what needs to be done for all of us to move forward with our lives. … I’m really humbled.”

Barber’s crusade began in October 2000, after his 9-year-old son was fatally shot on a family hunting trip.

A Model 700 rifle fired when Barber’s wife, Barbara, released the safety as she prepared to unload the gun, the family says. The bullet went through a horse trailer and hit Gus, who, unbeknownst to her, had run behind the trailer.

When news of Gus’s death was reported in newspapers, Barber began hearing from people who’d experienced similar incidents of unintentional firing by the Remington 700.

An expert shooter and small-arms instructor, Barber started looking into the incidents, and discovered what he believed to be a defective trigger mechanism introduced by the company in the 1940s and installed in millions of rifles.

During his quest, Barber retrieved thousands of documents, met with attorney representing victims of shooting accidents, and met with top Remington executives about possible fixes to the rifle’s trigger mechanism.

The company designed a new fire-control mechanism – the X-Mark Pro – and began installing it in new models in 2006. But he says it reneged on what he thought was a deal to halt production of the old, defective mechanism.

Barber continued to speak out publicly about his concerns, and, as recently as last year, called for the company to be prosecuted for fraud, saying it had deceived courts and the public about what it knew were defects in the rifle’s trigger mechanism.

But in the fall of 2013, Remington and lawyers for gun owners who said their rifles had accidentally fired began mediating the case, and came to an agreement in September to settle, including the recall.

Barber said Friday he hopes now to “disappear” and get on with his life – but that the years of effort were worth it.

“When Gus was killed, nobody knew anything about (the defective trigger mechanism),” he said. “It was all concealed in our courtrooms. I sought to put an end to that. … My message is that secrecy kills.”
 
I'm torn. Good on him for pointing out the defects and winning his case. Nothing will ever replace his loss. Bad thing though is that the cost of Rem rifles just went up by 25% or more.
 
My sympathies to the Barber family on their loss of Gus. 2500$ plaintiffs vs $12.5 mil for attorneys ??????
 
While I sympathize with the family for the loss of a loved one, someone forgot the first rule of firearm safety.
 
MTM said:
While I sympathize with the family for the loss of a loved one, someone forgot the first rule of firearm safety.
I agree with that 100%
 
The big time winner is the Lawyers. The looser is all gun owners. The true fault lies in the idiot in this instance who attempted to load/ unload with his muzzle pointed in an unsafe direction and failed to keep his weapon in safe operating condition. Correct me if I'm wrong, the weapon in question was never shown in front of witnesses to fire in the manner suppossedly the caused the incident.
This Barber guy cannot justify the indefensible......they broke the #1 safety rule ...plain and simple ....and he fails to accept the consequences.
 
It's a very sad story and my heart goes out to the family. Unfortunately, any mechanical device can and will eventually fail. If a shooter points any weapon, loaded or unloaded, at anything they do not wish to shoot they are at fault. Even with the bolt pulled back I always maintain muzzle discipline. The ground(preferably sand or dirt), a bullet trap or worst case the sky is where my weapon is pointing while being loaded or unloaded. I'm not a Remington guy and normally shoot benchrest, so I didn't realize you have to disengage the safety to upload their bolt action rifles. I have one in the safe for a build and I now I guess I'm going to have to pull it out of the safe and give it a try.
 
I know this is a loss for Remington and gun owners. But how many rifles will really be returned for a replacement
trigger? I know mine will not get tied up in red tape. I'm sure many feel the same way.
And yes ,I did have an accidental discharge many years ago while unloading to get into my stand. BUT the muzzle of the rifle was pointed at the ground. No damage done.. To me it was a lesson well learned .
HH
 
Latest estimates cover only about a million rifles.

Also, the settlement has been only submitted to the court for approval. Not yet a done deal.

Wonder how many of these rifles already have replacement triggers in them?

RMD
 
I have 2 with original triggers. If I send them in, do you think I'll get them back before before 2016 ?
 
Has anyone checked to see if you can just send the trigger back, then you haven't got to worry about getting it back in any hurry. Sounds like the easiest way to me. I've replaced all mine!

Joe Salt
 
I'll save them the hassle, the shipping and the triggers. Just reimburse me for a dozen Jewell's. ;D
 
Lots of information on www.700Rifle.com though there are conflicting stories about the truth to the new supposed agreement and recall. If it is the same as what was posted reads, buy a timney trigger and keep the receipt and if passed, you will get reimbursed. According to guys on the 700 site, many have had their guns back for over 5 months and when checking their serial numbers on the Remington web site, just get a message that it is in progress. I am ordering two triggers for my Post April 2014 Remington 700s, that the dealer said and the Remington web site said were not part of the recall.

Bob
 
wedgy said:
A Model 700 rifle fired when Barber’s wife, Barbara, released the safety as she prepared to unload the gun, the family says. The bullet went through a horse trailer and hit Gus, who, unbeknownst to her, had run behind the trailer.

My deepest condolences for the loss. It's always difficult to read into how firearm accidents happen and what should have been done differently. This specific accident definitely was a freak occurrence with respect to the boy being behind the horse trailer. Now if the printed facts are 100% true, I see two firearms safety rules that were not followed ?

"never deactivate the safety until you are on target"
"Always know your target and what is beyond or "never muzzle sweep anything you don't intend to kill"

I agree with others 100% about muzzle discipline. I try to be extremely vigilant about muzzle straight up, muzzle down or muzzle downrange and sometimes it gets difficult when shooting at a range with a lot of people in close proximity. In the big picture, If there is a "defective" design in these triggers then Remington needs to be held accountable. However with millions of rifle sold, and only a small handfull of true recorded incidents , it's makes you wonder if the trigger is truly "defective" or more unsafe operator handling ?
 
MTM said:
While I sympathize with the family for the loss of a loved one, someone forgot the first rule of firearm safety.

+1. Everyone wants to point the finger rather than take responsibility. Any mechanical device can fail at any time. Don't ever aim a firearm, in any condition, at anything you don't want to shoot. Plain and simple. Should be the first thing a person learns in firearm safety and should be the number one rule in the back of every person's mind that plans on ever handling a firearm.

Should have never had a loaded weapon in a residential area either. I used to hike with a round loaded in the chamber when hunting and after some rational thinking one day, I realized how unsafe that is and what the consequences could be. So now I only ever load a round just before firing at an animal, then immediately unload it after the animal is dead or gets away by not giving me a shot. The lady who killed her son was obviously handling a firearm unsafely in every manner possible.
 
Although I feel for the family for the loss of their son, I feel they should have some if not all responsibility here. If the child's mother would have just followed the basic instructions in the Remington owners manual, their son would probably still be living. The guy was supposedly a small arms instructor but his wife didn't follow basic rules. In the manual safety commandment #3 is Don't rely on the safety. And under unloading the rifle instructions, step #2 is put the safety on. That one doesn't make sense to me as it should already be on but whatever...... maybe that version was written after this accident, which would make me wonder a little. Anyone that is actually out hunting with a rifle shouldn't need to read the manual, in my opinion, you should have learned basic safety rules before that, but if she would have read it, maybe things would be different for them.

I'm not saying that the gun didn't accidentally go off but, I've never had to do this to get my rifle unloaded...........

wedgy said:
A Model 700 rifle fired when Barber’s wife, Barbara, released the safety as she prepared to unload the gun, the family says.
 
Remington's Response

http://www.remington.com/pages/news-and-resources/press-releases/2014/firearms/remington%20correction%20of%20cnbc%20reporting.aspx
 
The whole liberal media circus is not really about Remington or the accident or the triggers.

It is about "Guns are dangerous. Guns are bad. Take away the guns"
 

Upgrades & Donations

This Forum's expenses are primarily paid by member contributions. You can upgrade your Forum membership in seconds. Gold and Silver members get unlimited FREE classifieds for one year. Gold members can upload custom avatars.


Click Upgrade Membership Button ABOVE to get Gold or Silver Status.

You can also donate any amount, large or small, with the button below. Include your Forum Name in the PayPal Notes field.


To DONATE by CHECK, or make a recurring donation, CLICK HERE to learn how.

Forum statistics

Threads
166,296
Messages
2,216,182
Members
79,551
Latest member
PROJO GM
Back
Top