What to replace Nightforce 42x w/dot?

Discussion in 'Competition Forum (All Calibers)' started by 1911nut, Nov 20, 2019.

1. bichettereds

bichettereds Gold $$ Contributor

Did you have issues with your NF 42X holding POA? If so, how was it tested?

Thanks

2. DHuffman

DHuffman Gold $$ Contributor

I spoke with them recently and they will do it IF the still have the desired reticle in stock.

3. JimPag

JimPag Silver $$ Contributor

There is nothing wrong with the NF straight 42 Comps. I had 4 of them and checked 3 on a Hood's scope checker and all 3 held POI. Quite a few guy's that I shoot against use them. Jim Cline who won 2019 IBS SSOY uses one along with his 15-55 Comps and he has set a number of records with both. Wayne France has been using one since they first came out and he has done very well with it. When they first came out they were retailing for either 1739 or 49.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2020
    jimmymac likes this.
  4. bichettereds

I gave Nightforce a call today. They no longer offer this service since the scopes are discontinued.

5. bichettereds

I called today. No longer an option According to the person I talked to and he put me on hold to find out if that means anything.

6. bichettereds

some of the best sr group shooters in world including Wayne Campbell use them. For sure they’re up to the task. I was curious if anyone here has had issues of POA movement and if so, how they tested for it.

I shot with a buddy’s NF 42x yesterday and loved it. Better than my LCS 40x and the Sightron 45x with ED glass that I had. On par with my Valdada 36X but the added mag was a bonus. Might be a tad lighter too.

7. JimPag

JimPag Silver $$ Contributor

I weigh every scope that I have. Usually some weigh a 10th or 2 tenths of an ounce difference from one another with the same exact scope, but all 4 weighed 21.0 oz even.

8. DHuffman

DHuffman Gold $$ Contributor

Interesting I talked to them 4 - 6 weeks ago and it was not an issue then.

9. BenPerfected

BenPerfected Gold $$ Contributor

How would you rate the glass clarity of these three scopes? How important is glass clarity in buying a new scope vs other attributes?
    Ben

10. ShootDots

ShootDots Gold $$ Contributor

Once you get up to the "Top-End" line of scopes, you want everything you are paying for. The March and Kahles have superb glass that stacks up against anything. The NightForce glass, although good, is not like the other two. Maybe the ATACR or some such scope has very comparable glass. However, the BR Model does not. I like absolute repeatability: all 3 are at the same level. I L-O-V-E the 20m.o.a. turrets on the Kahles>>>it is alone in this regard. I L-O-V-E the parallax focus just under the elevation turret. It is so easy to get at. The Kahles is alone in that regard too. Reticles are a personal preference thing>>> but in my mind the MOAK is at the pinnacle. On the windage turrets, every minute is marked either right or left so you will never "get lost" when dialing wind. This is on the Kahles, you may be able to get aftermarket turrets for the other scopes, I don't know>>>but it is standard with the Kahles. It is hard to beat those "attributes"..

Last edited: Jan 7, 2020