Hornady A Tip Match, anyone?

Discussion in 'Reloading Forum (All Calibers)' started by FrogFire7, Apr 25, 2019.

1. Rust

Rust

I'm seeing $74 for a box of 100 6.5 140 gr versus $45 for a box of 100 6.5 150 gr Scenars. $350 for a box of 1000 scenars.

I've got a load for my 6.5 X 284 that is extremely accurate. Consistent from barrel to barrel. Given the barrel life of 1,000 to 1,200 rounds I don't see a lot of up side to trying every new magic bullet/powder that comes along. Yeah barrels are a consumable but I prefer not to consume them profligately chasing something that may or may not work any better let alone as well. I'll leave that to those with more money.

LGKLAS likes this.
  2. carlsbad

carlsbad Lions don't lose sleep over the opinions of sheep. Gold $$ Contributor

Aren't you guys comparing what you're paying for bullets in a saturated market to suggested retail on a new bullet? What are the full retail price of the bullets you are shooting?

Average joe, daleboy and Bc'z like this.
  3. Zero333

Zero333 Silver $$ Contributor

Most of these new Aluminum tip hornady's are strictly a niche component because they're to long for the standard twists.

Hornady's bread and butter is selling bullets to people with factory barrels with standard twist rates.

4. Bc'z

Bc'z Gold $$ Contributor

I generally buy left overs from other shooters here on forum. My loaded round is cheaper than just thier bullet .

LGKLAS, Texas10, joshb and 3 others like this.
  5. daleboy

daleboy Silver $$ Contributor

So you are in a state of perpetual load development ?

Stubby, LGKLAS and Stickler like this.
  6. Capt. Oblivious

Capt. Oblivious

About $130-$140 a box over here in SA, well thats the “rough” price now if we order.

Think ill stick with the other bullets for now and use my own cloth

LGKLAS likes this.
  7. jackson1

jackson1 Silver $$ Contributor

I don't have a problem paying up for quality bullets. Hornady? well I use them for my hunting rifles, but was never impressed with the dimensional quality. Now I am supposed shell out for their new target bullet. Probably not. With people like Tom and Bart making great bullets, I have not need to reinvent the wheel.

boltfluter, JasonPeterson and Bc'z like this.
  8. Bc'z

Bc'z Gold $$ Contributor

Yes,aren't we all ?
    It's not as bad as you think, as I do look for the bigger lots of 500 -1000.
    Usually finding them $10 -$15 a box cheaper than retail.
    I get quality bullets and the other guy gets a lil cash for what ever his latest venture is.
    Win Win!

LGKLAS, New Gun, Zero333 and 3 others like this.
  9. daleboy

daleboy Silver $$ Contributor

Win Win for sure...I thought you were buying up crumbs from the table. 500-1000 is plenty enough to make it worth it.

Bc'z likes this.
  10. rwj

rwj Gold $$ Contributor

Only person I compete against these days is myself... I break records every trip to the range... sometimes good:D... often bad:(!!!

tillroot1, LGKLAS, AJC and 10 others like this.
  11. Bc'z

Bc'z Gold $$ Contributor

If there's a bullet I want to try I'll pick up some scraps just to give em a shot so to speak!
    18 months ago before becoming a member of A.S., I use to buy boxes from local sporting goods stores.
    I've since been shown the way.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2019
    New Gun, pirate ammo and joshb like this.
  12. onelastshot

onelastshot Gold $$ Contributor

After the fiasco with the Hornady ELD-X bullets I can't see paying a premium for any of their bullets. Their dangerous game bullets were a disaster.

13. joshb

joshb Gold $$ Contributor

Today’s prices:
    B2F5A11F-1E6F-46D9-B4E6-5460B0C67668.png
    Results!
    98452670-86C2-4AD6-95CF-6400F94F0B68.jpeg
    Why should I look any further!
    Oh, and 120s shoot well, too. I bought 6k for 19 cents each, a couple years ago. I’m set!

LGKLAS, dgeesaman, boltfluter and 3 others like this.
  14. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd Gold $$ Contributor

15. MN50Shooter

MN50Shooter Silver $$ Contributor

These are far from a new idea. They've been utilizing an aluminum tip on their .510" 750 gr Amax for years. They are quite proud of these as well. The .510" 750 gr run about $2.20 per projectile. So far, they are losing out in 50 BMG Competition (1000 yards) to Turned Solids, such as Lehigh 800 & 808 gr Solid Brass, and Cutting Edge 762 gr & 802 gr Solid Copper projo's. Not a lot of shooters (at least the ones winning trophies) are competing with the Hornady 750 gr Amax (Aluminum Tipped)

16. Texas10

Texas10 Gold $$ Contributor

I'm going to hold off until they supercede the AT with a what is certain to become the new hotness, Tungsten tip, for better balance of course and NO tip melting.

FrogFire7 likes this.
  17. carlsbad

carlsbad Lions don't lose sleep over the opinions of sheep. Gold $$ Contributor

Tex,
    Counterintuitive to me, but a steeped in bullet design, is that the front of the bullet is lightened rather than made heavier, to improve BC. I haven't studied it (yet) but don't understand why a hollow/lightened rear isn't a better choice...could just be dealing with the propellant, or the lighter aluminum base might get peeled off.

Another aspect of bullet design is the geometric effects of aerodynamics vs the intertial effects of more mass. It appears to me that the optimum density to maximize both is LESS dense than lead. Thus the hollow tips, plastic tips, and aluminum tips.

See the post above for Alco bullets that have a very large aluminum tip which makes a 168 grain 308 about the size of a 195 and gives it a very nice BC. The video with that is informative.

--Jerry

18. Joel Dubose

Joel Dubose

I bought 500 on back order. I don't really care about the negitivity, or pre judgments about what is good or bad. What I want is to test and come to the conclusions on my rifle for myself. I don't care about cost, I care about results.

19. Joel Dubose

Joel Dubose

If anyone ever gets results, lets compare our data

dwall likes this.
  20. Rdlningcltchdmpr

Rdlningcltchdmpr Silver $$ Contributor

Profigately ?