Why 6 BRA?

Discussion in '6BR, 6BR Improved & Wildcats' started by Curious, Oct 28, 2017.

1. Curious

Curious

Is it nothing more than a fad fuelled by the majority of shooters inability or insecurity, I wonder?

Im not trying to knock this chambering, I think my question is valid as we see in life every day instances where guy pass up on the 'old' for the 'new improved' only to end up with no real world benefit.

The 6 Dasher has been and still is the darling of the 6mm BR scene, has there really been enough testing by people who are really good enough to test in a fair and methodical manner to show it has a real world advantage over the 6 Dasher or even the 6BR over the shorter ranges? Can we even realistically test in such an accurate manner to make the results valid?

A big shift towards the next wonder caliber and a few new records doesn't really prove much to me, who can prove that on that particular day the record wouldn't have fallen to the 6BR or Dasher had it been used?

Im about to build myself a 6 BRA so Im far from against the latest 'magic bullet' but there is a part of me that is already telling myself it wont really do anything my older 6 Dasher chambering hasn't already done.

2. johara1

johara1

Nothing magic about it, the simple fact is that it is easy to make good cases. No false shoulder no turning to a shoulder, no need to force a bullet into the lands to hold them back ..... nothing. The 6br don't have the capacity to keep up to the conditions at 1000, the improved has a little bit more seems to be in the ball park for speed with the little bit more capacity the it has. Fire forming in a 1/4 min. or less, I did have some that were ff. in a .1. Will it replace the Dasher we will see, but it is setting records already ..... Jim

foxguy, zanemoseley, Rushty and 4 others like this.
  3. R.Morehouse

R.Morehouse Gold $$ Contributor

There is a part of this hobby that is driven by change mostly through up grading of pretty much everything. The 222 took a back seat to the PPC for example. I have a BRA in the works to be done over the winter. I wanted a 6mm with low recoil in an efficient design that has been proven IMO by top shooters that i can take out to 1k with confidence. I DO already have one 1k gun in my 6.5-06imp......Will i be able to make my BRA out shoot that gun running 141's at 3100+ ??? Only time will tell. There is a lot to like with the design of the cartridge that has already been mentioned and the people that have been behind it i respect. I don't mind the investment at all....;)

walker2713 likes this.
  4. carlsbad

carlsbad Details matter. Silver $$ Contributor

The BRA has had some success lately. It clearly works. There is always pent up energy looking for change. If you're looking to try something new, look at BRA. If you're happy with what you're shooting, BRA hasn't made it obsolete. It's a good option. --Jerry

Rushty and Jesse Gietzen like this.
  5. Sheldon N

Sheldon N Silver $$ Contributor

Another thread asking the same question, with some relevant answers.

http://forum.accurateshooter.com/threads/whats-the-deal-with-the-6-bra.3935811/

I've got a couple Dashers and am working on my first 6BRA barrel. Initial impressions favorable... it sure as heck fireforms easier and better than the Dasher. Will see if it gives me the velocity that I want and how it runs once I start load development.

Rushty and skiper like this.
  6. tom

tom Gold $$ Contributor

Jim has I think nailed it here. I feel we are able to make cases without disrupting the integrity of the parent case head. You end up with a case with 1.5 grains less capacity and running the same accuracy nodes of the dasher. Or higher yet, I started early testing today and ran my BRA-BRO up to bolt lift so I know where the ceiling is on this slightly modified BRA;)

20171028_101759.jpg

Mulligan, Rushty, Jet and 1 other person like this.
  7. Kyle Schultz

Kyle Schultz Gold $$ Contributor

Ok. I'll bite. Are you going to divulge what a "BRA-BRO" is or does that wait till after the trophy ceremony?

8. tom

tom Gold $$ Contributor

20171022_175733.jpg
    It's just my own reamer, witch is actually stamped "BRTM". I asked Alex a long time ago to serial number my barrels so I can keep notebooks for each (protecting against my own mental deficiencies), so now he just stamps weird $h!t on them. This one is BRA "BRO"

He looks out for me, what a nice kid lol.

9. carlsbad

carlsbad Details matter. Silver $$ Contributor

Now that's entertaining, I don't care who you are.

Mulligan likes this.
  10. Spook

Spook Captured too late to be fully domesticated.

I was in the pits earlier this year @ the 1000 yd CO State BR Championship (due to there only being 1 match) and witnessed a sub 2" group shot with a BRA using 108 Bergs . The shooter had switched over from a Dasher barrel. I'm convinced.

Mulligan and R.Morehouse like this.
  11. foxguy

foxguy Silver $$ Contributor

Sounds like there could be a lot of shooting fun had with a 6mm BRA built Rifle.
    Our local clubs currently shoot 200-300 yard fun shoots. One of the clubs is talking about stretching out one of the ranges out to 600 yds. again for fun shoots. Their are about 10-12 guys talking about participating in the 600 yd shoots.....

I am kind of fighting the 6MM BRA urge as I purchased a Savage F class in 6br about 12 months ago, I have been currently shooting it in the 300 yd shoots. It shoots pretty good for me being the driver. I have been loading up 80 gr Bergers so far and have plans for load testing the 105 gr Bergers next year.

I am thinking I will have to call Alex next week to see what he would recommend and see what a new build would cost. I like shooting 300yds and am looking forward to shooting @ 600 yds as well. Oh one of the shooters is having a 6mm BRA built locally, he is going to be ready for the 600 when it happens.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2017
    kvd likes this.
  12. johara1

johara1

You guys want to try something neat, A 12 twist barrel and shoot some 80 gr. Barts boat tails it shoots ....... Jim

WyleWD likes this.
  13. johara1

johara1

You don't see too many 6.5-06 imp shooting 2"and 3" groups at a 1000, and after a 1000 rounds I know you won't .... lol... Jim

R.Morehouse likes this.
  14. Jet

Jet Rich Jette Gold $$ Contributor

Jim

What free bore are you using for the 80s? Same as the 105 class bullets?

Rich

15. johara1

johara1

.060 for the 80's, .125 for the 105 class bullet....... Jim

WyleWD likes this.
  16. Jet

Jet Rich Jette Gold $$ Contributor

Thanks

17. kvd

kvd Silver $$ Contributor

This is a valid question, given the large number of chamberings in 6mm - all touting some perceived benefit. The only thing one may be able to point to to explain the 6BRA's current popularity is the fact that slight, seemingly inconsequential things can have a noticeable effect on down range accuracy. For whatever reason, small differences in cases capacity, neck grip, seating depth for a given bullet geometry, and of course powder type and charge weight all combine to define some sort of optimum pressure curve. Even the type of primer used plays into this first few microsecond enigma.The 6BRA case shape and capacity coupled with its neck grip must help optimize pressure onset and increase in a beneficial way. We may not fully understand it but we can certainly see the effect and utilize it. Is the 6BRA the last iteration in ultimate 6mm accuracy? Probably not, but it apparently is a step in the right direction. It's at least promising enough for me to have a barrel chambered up in 6BRA.

My 2¢ worth.

Curious and Rushty like this.
  18. AlloyTargets

AlloyTargets Site $$ Sponsor

This is what a Bart's 80gr looks like at touch in a .104 freebore using Alex's method. Measures 1.820" with my Hornady comparator. 119 rounds on .236, 12 twist, 4 groove Krieger.

Attached Files:

Toby Bradshaw and Jet like this.
  19. ngb1787

ngb1787 Silver $$ Contributor

Don’t forget how to read wind, a great 6bra load is only as good ad the person behind the rifle.

20. ShootDots

ShootDots Gold $$ Contributor

Here is my 2 cents worth. Anybody that L-O-V-E-S accuracy and performance is ALWAYS looking for something better. The 6mmBR case is very well known to be a very accurate case. Most "modifications" on such a case as this will make some improvement. The Dasher, BRX, BRDX, etc..etc.. would keep the same level of accuracy as the parent case, with the addition of a substantial increase in velocity, thus extending the realistic range of the BR itself. If you could find a "modification / improvement" that "bothered" the case the least and still give "Near Dasher" performance, as far as velocity is concerned, and put a 40 degree shoulder on it, may combine the BEST of both worlds. I HONESTLY don't know what it is that the addition of a 40 degree shoulder somehow DOES increase the level of accuracy! All I do know is that in the vast majority of cases it does!

So doing modifications in the pursuit of better accuracy and performance is a worthy cause. It is fun and when you do hit on something it is very rewarding to the "creator" of the new case. I for one LOVE to tinker with cartridges that are not always looked on as having "conventional wisdom" imbedded in them. I also love ACKLEY cases, they have worked very well for me in MOST cases.. So I say>>>keep the evolution going! It can only help!