What do you think?

Discussion in 'Main Message Board' started by double g, Jun 10, 2019.

1. double g

double g Silver $$ Contributor

HV barrels or 1.250 straight, which are most accurate

2. cheek9075

cheek9075

I think it's a roll of the dice. You will not know until you shoot it. Doesn't all start out as straight, just turned to the contour you order at sometime in its life?

P.S. I have all but a straight. I cant shoot well enough to tell a difference on a given day. Some days all will shoot less than .100, other days it seems they shoot 1/2 inch. I'm the determining factor.

284winner likes this.
  3. D-4297

D-4297

Interesting question ; but one has to consider the application of said barrel , type , class , weight allowances , etc ... I'm just guessing , but I think the HV evolved from making barrels "fit" into weight class , for "F"-class TR rifles , and straight 1.250" barrels are better suited to "F"-Open due to higher weight limits of that class . Don't forget , length also plays into the whole scenario , too . A 30" , 1.250 can push the weight limit on a TR rifle right to the edge , depending on how the rest of the rifle is built . Won't go near BR requirements , as I know nothing about their rules . So the question by the OP is very relative to the application , more so , than the question of accuracy of each type of barrel .

4. Thud

Thud Gold $$ Contributor

1.25 is the way to go. Look at the firing line majority are 1.25’s.

5. Capt. Oblivious

Capt. Oblivious

Just the looks of n 1.25" straight sells me

6. Forum Boss

Forum Boss Administrator

I believe 6mm barrels (under 28.5" finished) with some taper (ending up about 0.92-0.95) at the muzzle may be better, at least those without brakes or tuners. I have no scientific evidence to prove this other than ALL my barrels with a bit of taper shoot better than any of my straight taper 1.25" barrels, and they seem to be more forgiving of load variations (less fussy). I understand, however, that records have been set with straight tapers in many calibers. If you run a tuner, my observations probably do not apply.

The other thing that contradicts my view is that the most accurate rifles of all -- rail-guns, normally have a straight taper. But then rail-gun barrels are shorter and held in barrel blocks for the most part.

billlarson and Boatschool02 like this.
  7. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd Silver $$ Contributor

Chances are that you will not be able to shoot the difference between subtle distinctions in barrel contour. As has been mentioned, there can be barrel-to-barrel differences in accuracy/precision that probably have nothing to do with the contour itself.

So at that point, other considerations also become important for accuracy/precision. For example, is a specific contour necessary to make a certain weight restriction? How does the chosen contour affect the balance of the rifle? A 1.25" straight pipe will put more weight at the front end of the rifle, which can make a difference in how the rifle is balanced during the recoil impulse (i.e. it might be "front-heavy" as compared to the HV contour barrel). In addition, barrel length can also make a difference as to how loads with different bullet weights tune in. For example, in a 30" barrel F-TR rifle, it is difficult to achieve a velocity of ~2725 fps with 200 gr bullets necessary to hit a known accuracy node for that combination without running very high pressure. For that reason, many F-TR shooters tune them to a node at at around 2650 fps or so. Finally, you didn't mention a specific caliber, but the inherent accuracy/precision of the cartridge is also an important consideration.

All of these small factors can make a contribution to the accuracy/precision of a given setup; it is not solely barrel stiffness (i.e. "contour). Both the contours you mentioned are pretty heavy and should not possess the negative characteristics of a "pencil barrel" as they heat up. I'd go with the contour that allows you to make a specific finished weight (if necessary), and that gives you the balance you want for whatever length you decide on. That alone should help you wring the best accuracy/precision out of your setup. The difference in accuracy/precision between the two contours you listed solely based on stiffness is probaby nonexistent.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
    hogpatrol, Joe Salt, dkhunt14 and 2 others like this.
  8. Joe Salt

Joe Salt Silver $$ Contributor

Ned Contour sure isn't the bases for accuracy, my buddy's Palma barrel will shoot with the Heavy guns with straight 1.450 barrels and that is 10 shoots a 1000 yards. So I'd say it's the magic inside.

Joe Salt

BigKev, Bc'z, 1BAD284 and 3 others like this.
  9. ebb

ebb

Look at the end where the maker stamps all the info about that barrel. Then look for the word HUMMER and you will have the best.

dwall likes this.
  10. Iowa Fox

Iowa Fox

We all know about Hummer's but I've always wondered if they can be produced at will by the very skilled barrels makers & smiths. Or are they like Leprechauns.

11. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE- Thread Derail Crew Gold $$ Contributor

Its funny how hummer gets thrown around. A hummer barrel is so rare most wont even see a real one get shot in their lifetime. It wins every match no matter the skill level and wind affects it way less. I think out of all the barrels tony boyer has ever had only 2 were real hummers. Talking 1000 barrels or more here. And whatll really blow people’s minds is every one ive known of (5-6 maybe) every single one was a shilen.

12. Dusty Stevens

They would be very rich and win every match

13. ebb

ebb

The barrel makers don't know how to tell a barrel that will shot from one that won't. I am not sure if they even exist (a hummer). Alex Wheeler showed pictures of barrel threads that the barrel was a national champion, it looked worse than a 2 inch nipple from Home Depot. Every thing we know about accuracy has an exception. Do internal dimensions matter most, or the lot of steel the blank was made from, the type of rifling, the way the blank was rifled, the twist?? I would like to see some one study the 5 or 6 barrels Dusty talks about to see how they are alike and how they are different. Even now that these barrels are shot out the metal could be tested to see if the alloy is slightly different than normal. There are stories of swords from the past that seemed to have almost magical attributes. Yes they are Leprechauns only more rare. The sad part is what If I hade a hummer, I don't think I can load well enough to even figure out that it is a hummer. Pirate the Ammo man tells me that all hummers go on 6.5 Creedmoors.

14. rwj

rwj Gold $$ Contributor

I thought all Creedmoor’s we’re equipped with “hummers”... no?

15. Dusty Stevens

Its not the steel- the other barrels made from the same bar do not share any similarities

16. ebb

ebb

That says that the button process has made all the hummers that you know to exist. I wonder what the barrel that was made before and after that hummer with the same button looked like and shot.