Thoughts on my threading...

Discussion in 'Gun Project Questions & Gunsmithing' started by Dave in WI, Jul 8, 2019.

1. hogpatrol

hogpatrol Don't criticize the farmer with your mouth full. Gold $$ Contributor

AACCKK! In an Armstrong holder on top of that! BLASPHEMY! You are SO FAR behind the times. e-big-grin.gif Most of my HSS are MoMax Cobalt that I've had for decades. I often wonder if the new HSS inserts and bits some vendors are peddling are actually made in far off Guangdong province. This is the cheap stuff that looks nice and shiny but cuts for crap and dulls in a short time. Hmm, reminds me of a trick we used to play on the new guys when they had trouble with a tool bit on a lathe. Someone would have a piece of cold rolled surface ground and profiled to look like a turning tool.
    We'd tell them this tool will cut anything. They'd put in the holder, hit the workpiece and the bit would promptly turn blue then red and melt. Someone would say, let me try that tool on my machine but pull a switch and it would cut like butter. The noobs would be scratching their heads the rest of the day. Ah, the good ol' days.

P1130597.JPG

2. tobnpr

tobnpr

100 barrels a week for 50 years?
    Ummm....o_O

Stan Taylor likes this.
  3. Stan Taylor

Stan Taylor Gold $$ Contributor

How about 71 years back in the day when we sold threaded barrels for mausers to flaig they may have threaded 50 barrels in 2 shifts.

ridgeway, Dusty Stevens and hogpatrol like this.
  4. ridgeway

ridgeway Silver $$ Contributor

The confusion lies in how the compound is marked where zero degrees start.

Judd, Stan Taylor and hogpatrol like this.
  5. hogpatrol

Politics, religion, Creedmoor vs. every other 6.5, threading, HSS vs carbide, chambering setups, glue-in vs bedded, long range vs. stalking, Berger vs Sierra, truing Remingtons vs customs, yada yada, yada. Always good for some debate BUT we're all on the same page, proponents of the 2nd Amendment.

Jesswil61, Judd, Stumpy1 and 4 others like this.
  6. Gun Smith

Gun Smith Gold $$ Contributor

I tried Carbide once, double ended Kennemetal something or another. Broke the tip off on my first try; $12 down the drain. Went back to my old HS and never tried carbide again on my South Bend.

I use the 29.5° trick until nearly complete, then feed straight in the last few thou. I use a slight bit of side rake. Alway's turned out pretty nice! I've used the Warner's on my Hardinge HVLH with the built in
    dog clutch that stops you from running in to the shoulder at 4-500 RPM. I suppose I could use Carbide with that machine, just never tried it yet.

7. eww1350

eww1350

Yes that is the place..!!

8. PWS

PWS Gold $$ Contributor

Looks like that chip brush has been around the same amount of time!

Stan Taylor likes this.
  9. Stan Taylor

Stan Taylor Gold $$ Contributor

Those brushes don't live long probably made in China LOL.

hogpatrol and Dusty Stevens like this.
  10. hogpatrol

They last a few seconds in a moving endmill.:D

Stan Taylor likes this.
  11. eww1350

eww1350

here are photos of my G4003G after I rubber mounted the motor

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Dusty Stevens likes this.