PRS Chassis Question

Discussion in 'Practical Precision--PRS, NRL, ELR' started by CraigG, Sep 8, 2019.

1. CraigG

CraigG Silver $$ Contributor

So my first post here, new to bolt rifles in general, interested in PRS. I am wading into this with my eyes open and beginning a build a rig to hopefully shoot next year. As I research different things I noticed something about some of the chassis. Some offer both fixed/direct connected adjustable stocks and adjustable buffer tube set-ups.

Does one have an advantage over the other in your opinion?

I can see the advantages to both, but with a buffer tube would the "play" in the stock be a disadvantage and affect accuracy?

Great place and appreciate any responses.

Craig

2. 338 dude

338 dude Silver $$ Contributor

Any movement would be detrimental to accuracy

300_whisper and FTRinPA like this.
  3. Dud

Dud

I bought a folder because I also bought a 31" barrel and I don't want it to be so big and unwieldy when cased.

The folder I got has some play when locked but not too bad. The stock is adjustable but everything locks down with screws so if it wasn't for the folder, it would be Rock solid.

In my opinion, carbine style stocks are a poor choice on a "precision" rifle but there are precision style AR stocks that lock down solid enough to be useful.

I wound up with a P-BODY 2 stock and STFU folder from Indian Creek Design. So far it seems nice but I haven't put it through it's paces yet. I have installed it on an MDT LSS first gen long action Savage Axis chassis.

4. CraigG

5. CraigG

I was looking at the MDT LSS XL chassis myself so far.

6. Dud

Dud

Check out ICD, they have a similar chassis for some actions and their prices are good.

I got my LSS on clearance because it was discontinued and uses oddball length magazines that only MDT makes. It was under $200. At full price I probably wouldn't have picked an LSS.

7. R.Morehouse

R.Morehouse Gold $$ Contributor

The MPA chassis are really well thought out and I like the modular weight system. I have a folder and the lock-up is good.

Regards
    Rick

FTRinPA and Dgd6mm like this.
  8. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE- Thread Derail Crew Gold $$ Contributor

Cant imagine wanting a chassis, especially a folder, and not getting an mpa

FTRinPA likes this.
  9. Geno C

Geno C

The old style folder on my xlr locks up tight. The new style, not so much. I have the new style on my 375 snipetac and it still shoots really well. I don’t think the little play has as big of an impact on accuracy on it as I thought it might.

10. Delfuego

Delfuego Silver $$ Contributor

Stocks/Chassis are like boots. Try them before you buy them. It's a lot about how it fits you. If you can, go to a match and get behind them. Some guys never get used to chassis, and go back to a traditional stock. MPA is the most popular, but XLR and others make good stuff. All the Gear-Queers are switching to MDT ACC chassis...

I would recommend looking at another option. A nice flat forend will help balance the stock on barricades and other wobbly obstacles. That is if PRS / NRL matches are truely what you are really wanting to compete in.

11. CraigG

MPA's seem fantastic, but too much $$ for this beginner budget. Saw a used XLR in the marketplace.....

12. Dgd6mm

Dgd6mm Silver $$ Contributor

Check out the KRG Bravo. It's modular, pretty nice, I got one on a rifle I bought a few months ago. I like it, but it's no MPA Chassis. Snipers Hide always has good second hand stocks and chassis for sale, check them out.

Don Dunlap

13. Zero333

Zero333 Silver $$ Contributor

I have a couple chassis rifles and one of them (MDT LSS with Skeleton Carbine butt-stock) has the buffer tube and there is ZERO play.
    However,.. I don't like the shape of the cheek piece.

R700CE2stg2.jpg

14. DirtySteve

DirtySteve Gold $$ Contributor

Surprised no one mentioned Cadex Defense..

15. CraigG

Cadex is more expensive than MPA ...... nice chassis, but not this time around

DirtySteve likes this.
  16. DirtySteve

DirtySteve Gold $$ Contributor

There is nothing wrong with the KRG Bravo chassis... I have a 300 WSM wearing one. seems to shoot great.

Dgd6mm likes this.
  17. kthomas

kthomas

KRG bravo is the best bang for the buck on the market.

It does get front heavy if you hang a heavy barrel off of the action. My wife's rifle in a KRG Bravo has a 24" heavy palma barrel, and it was fairly front heavy. Changed out the stock LOP spacers for KRG's weighted metal LOP spacers, and balance is much nicer (put a total of 2 of them on there).

Just something to keep in mind, balance is somewhat important for PRS.

18. golong

golong

Having a buffer tube does not automatically mean you will have play. For example, you can put a Magpul PRS Gen (x) on a buffer tube and have zero play. I will also say that a little wiggle in the butstock is not really a problem if you are pulling the system back into your shoulder like you should be.

It appears that many like folders for transporting. The best case someone made to me was when I was whining about having to remove the cheek riser from the MPA's in order to get a rod guide/cleaning rod in them (they are too tall even when already down). Not worth the additional money in my book so I got over it and just remove them when it is time to clean. I have 3 MPA's, and one of them has a different pad that sits higher so even that has to be removed to clean. MPA is good (as in NOT) that way - they love to change parts/design mid-stream and not call it a different version. Case in point, I have 2 of their mounts. One uses square nuts to secure the rail screws, the other has threads in the clamp.

If you are looking for a 'budget' chassis that is not junk, you may want to review the Oryx line that MDT put out (https://oryxchassis.com/). They kind of went and did a hybrid of the PRS stock where they have a frame, but then put plastic inserts in to complete it rather than wrapping it in composite. Obviously not direct comparison, but that is how I look at it.

I think the biggest things to keep an eye on are length of pull, especially if you are at the 5'-10" and under mark (those that are 5'-6" and under really need to pay attention), and how the length of pull and cheek riser are manipulated. After that is is rigidity of the fore-grip. If the material is not heavy enough, e.g. the Savage Stealth chassis (think MDT made them???) will twist before you get a stiff bipod to cant. Other things to consider are the accessory mounting system, and the grips. Some manufacturers limit the grip choices to their grips, while others will take a bunch of different ones.

Dgd6mm likes this.
  19. CraigG

golong, thank you for the very detailed post. I'm considering the MDT line still, but my plan is to go to a match, see what others are running and ask questions. I really appreciate your input.

golong and Delfuego like this.
  20. Dud

Dud

As I said earlier, I wasn't really considering the MDT LSS until it was steeply discounted. After getting it in my hands, it's ok but it hasn't really changed my opinion, it was just a chassis for the price of a detachable magazine bottom metal. It was a good deal but I feel like there are several options where you spend more and get a lot more that are probably much better for PRS.

I'm looking at $100 minimum to add on an Arca rail and that won't be as nice as an integrated Arca forend. If it wasn't on clearance with a coupon on top of that it would have cost $220 more and if I hadn't found ICD, I would have probably spent $50 to $100 more on the stock. Add it all up and I'm not far from MPA folder territory if I paid full price.

I'm going to try it out to see if I need to add the Arca rail to extend my forend and if it's ok for me without, it's a good deal. If I need the rail it's a fairly unremarkable deal and hard to recommend even on clearance. In PRS, with bag mounts and barricade stops, I don't think an Arca rail is optional so hard to recommend.