My experiences with the V3 Autotrickler/Autothrow

Discussion in 'Reloading Forum (All Calibers)' started by Turbulent Turtle, Jul 24, 2019.

1. Morne van der Merwe

Morne van der Merwe

Good day,

I am getting my AD scale and V3 next week, can’t wait.
    How do you drill the hole on the side panel for the autotrickler without cracking the panel?

2. Fire Dog

Fire Dog

Looks a bit too Plastic Fantastic... I suggest that you go have a look at Area 19 website and get their full kit of machined aluminium pieces.
    I have a kit on my FX120 that I bought through Adam {about 3 years ago} when he or his site allowed you to buy the Auto tickler with Area 419 parts instead of the printed plastic parts that come with the one from Canada...
    Perhaps there has been a falling out with the partners as, at least at the moment, you cannot buy the whole setup from Area 419 and Adam does not offer the option of the metal parts...
    I can really recommend getting the Perspex top and ditch the original flexi top that comes with the FX120. Even the replacement "V" pan that locates the cup {aluminium of course for both items} is a big help and prevents spills {a total drag to clean up!} BTW that powder funnel that now comes with the FX120 is a copy of the original Area 419's aluminium one that replaced the original one that was just a large diameter drinking straw... Cheers, Fire Dog

3. Fire Dog

Fire Dog

Once set, the charge weight will be thrown @ time the cup goes back on the scale... {:~)

4. Fire Dog

Fire Dog

I just use my scale without the right side panel and then I can adjust the spout of the tickler as I please...
    Works just fine with only two of the draft shields in place {left or right depending on which hand is your dominate one} and when you put replace the original top with an Area 419 solid, clear Perspex one that is even better as you can also see through it to the powder cup. {:~)

5. Fire Dog

Fire Dog

Great idea except in my case my house has a conventional floor and even though the scale is mounted on a solid 2 1/4" thick table if I thump the floor {or breath too hard in the direction of the open side of the scale} the sensitivity of the scale will see it fluctuate before settling back...

6. Fire Dog

Fire Dog

I just bought one from Area 419 as they have already made them up and it is a real improvement to have the clear Perspex so that you can see the powder cup...

LVLAaron likes this.
  7. shooterjon

shooterjon Silver $$ Contributor

8. shooterjon

shooterjon Silver $$ Contributor

WELL SO SORRY TO SAY My Satorious Entris 641-S scale took a dump,after upgradeing from V2 to V3.All Area 419 upgrades are included if anyone is interested in buying it or trading it for something I might need?
    Sent it in for repair and they wanted $2500 to fix it,Heck I can get a net ENTRIS for about $1250 SO I SAID lets try the new RCBS Matchmaster scale,So I ordered one and it is on its way ,Seems to throw some very accurate loads .WE will find out.Here is ME hopping for the best?.
    If your interested I can keep you updated .

dgeesaman likes this.
  9. TrekUS

TrekUS

My V3 kit is incoming... did you ever get a solution for drilling the plastic? Can you share or send me a note? Thanks!

10. dnellans

dnellans

masking tape inside and out and a small drill bit to start and a step reamer to open it up as wide as you want. i did it with a handheld drill, wasn’t a big deal

TrekUS likes this.
  11. PatMiles

PatMiles Gold $$ Contributor

Got tired of finding an errant kernel of powder on the platen so I fixed the problem. I removed the metal platen cover from the plastic platen, cut the diameter of the plastic platen so it is now smaller than the cup. Now any kernels that dribble out of the AT tube fall onto the scale below the platen and don't affect subsequent drops.
    I had to add some weight to the minimized platen so I added a turned piece of steel to the platen.

Platen.jpg

dgeesaman and Turbulent Turtle like this.
  12. PatMiles

PatMiles Gold $$ Contributor

Bridgeport @ 1000rpm.

windscreen.jpg

TrekUS and Turbulent Turtle like this.
  13. powderbrake

powderbrake Gold $$ Contributor

I used a Dremel tool with a 1/8 diameter burr. Gently press it into the side shield to get a hole through it, then gradually increase the hole diameter to about 1/2".

14. Morne van der Merwe

Morne van der Merwe

Mine hopefully getting here this week.
    So,e advice already given here below. Just so scared the panel crack.

dgeesaman likes this.
  15. dnellans

dnellans

it’s really not a big deal - just let the drill do the work don’t force it. plex drills really easily