Most accurate "out of the box" AR

Discussion in 'Small Stuff--22s, 20s, and 17s' started by Baddog0302, Nov 10, 2014.

1. JarheadAZ

JarheadAZ

I've had the Stag Model 6 for probably 4 years now. 1/2MOA is a pretty accurate description of its performance with decent ammo.

I put it in my 20 y/o Granddaughter's hands at the recent 2017 Berger SW LR Nationals as a 600yd MR F T/R entry. It was her first Highpower match of any kind. She shot 518/600 using Win Brass, HDY 75gr HPBT Match, CCI BR-4, and 24.4gr Varget. She had a great time and wants to do it again. I think that's a pretty rifle good testimonial for somebody just starting out in comp and shooting the real deal.

We're still in the very early stages of her indoctrination, all I really wanted to accomplish was to get her over the competition threshold and give her her BTDT stripes. Honing the marksmanship skills comes next. She's got more potential than I ever had.

She tells me it's her rifle now, and I'm honestly afraid to challenge her on it. I'll just have to build myself a clone, I guess.

Greg

PS BTW, I finally got around to changing my Username from JarheadNY to JarheadAZ

Last edited: May 2, 2017
    Berger.Fan222, joshb and mac86951 like this.
  2. ericbc7

ericbc7

You can buy accuracy if you are willing to pay... I built my first AR last winter and am shooting well with it. If you want a project with your grandson go with an aero precision builders kit, including the m4E1 upper and 2nd gen lower and hand guard (a builders kit in other words).

Get a quality barrel like a ballistic advantage in the length and chamber you want.
    Get a quality trigger/ fire control group
    Get quality buffer/spring (tubs or JP) and corresponding buffer
    Get a decent stock like magpul or luthe
    The rest is hard to quantify- I like my WMD bcg, and good optics

3. steve_podleski

steve_podleski

[QUOTE="jonbearman, post: 36476587, member: 1275689"... If you could afford it , white oak armament builds a screamer right out of the box so to speak.[/QUOTE]

+1

or Compass Lake

Mark McMahon likes this.
  4. steve_podleski

steve_podleski

Coached a newbie with his .223 Tikka shooting from the 600yd line. Very impressed. He kept most of his shots within the 9ring which is about 3moa with 77gr ammo. Consider this is from 600yd, his first shoot at 600yd and a pencil thin barrel for over 60 rounds!

joshb likes this.
  5. joshb

joshb Gold $$ Contributor

I really like my customs. So, why do I keep grabbing my Tikkas when I want to have fun? They just shouldn't shoot that good, but they do! I giggle when I think about how much I paid for them.
    I have to agree with jarhead. My Stag 6 is a shooter.

6. Alex Wheeler

Alex Wheeler Gold $$ Contributor

When I got into shooting service rifle I bought a rock river lower with their 2 stage trigger and a WOA upper. Slapped them together and had a solid .5 moa rifle. I think that I had about 1000.00 dollars into it and I was very pleased.

NickB1075 and Bamban like this.
  7. Mark McMahon

Mark McMahon Silver $$ Contributor

If you dont want run of the mill, and want to step up to something very special, check out Percision firearms AR products

8. FJIM

FJIM

well I guess if you shooting service rifle or want accuracy .
    I bought a Bushmaster XM 15 QRC...Have a 3-9 Redfield tac on it and my loads shoot 1/2 at 100 yards and several times I had three almost in a hole but heavy hard trigger and only 9 power makes it tough..I would say shooting hand loads it easily shoots under MOA. I don't know about mass ammo. I had a Expensive one and I'm not going to mention names but I shot some normal bulk ammo in it and was hard pressed to shoot 2" at 100 yards. I am waiting till july when new hunting license come out and I am going to spend some time hunting with it and will get to shoot it out in the field at further ranges....I'm loading a max load of CFE223

9. thejamesd

thejamesd Silver $$ Contributor

Rock River makes a really good AR, my 16" varmit was amazing. White Oak are excellent as well.

10. jbhotrod

jbhotrod

LB's ARs seem pretty impressive. Is there anything hes doing differently from other AR builders? I know they make their own cut rifled barrels, they must be danged good.

11. Richard Coody

Richard Coody Silver $$ Contributor

http://www.6mmar.com/#2853

12. a1712

a1712 Gold $$ Contributor

Guys, he posted the question 2.5 years ago. If he hasn't made a purchase yet, he ain't going to. Brian.

Mhbower and CoverDog like this.
  13. 1911mag

1911mag Gold $$ Contributor

Rock River AR heavy varmit barrel will shoot under 1/2 moa with handloads and right optics to do that of course. I just can't justify the money for Les Bear with a AR that will perform as well or better. That is money saved for bullets in my opinion.

joshb likes this.
  14. rogn

rogn Silver $$ Contributor

Old post? I still have to add for anyone getting involved with ARs, as this thread runs most any AR that the builder is proud enough to put their name on it , will be quite accurate. Possible exceptions are "tactical" types since the nature of the beast gives accuracy a lower priority than reliability. One gentleman summed the situation up quite well when he allowed rapid fire will deteriorate accuracy pretty quickly. A youngster with an AR and a 30 round magazine- think about that. I dont know that Id give a youngster a 2-3K$ AR with a large magazine, thats just me. Single shots seem much more to the point.

15. Knotwild

Knotwild Silver $$ Contributor

Depends on the child and the person who teaches that child what is right and what is wrong.

Plus, with an AR, you punch out two pins, remove the expensive upper, put in an $49 upper with a $89 barrel, and let her rip.

16. Big Mc

Big Mc Gold $$ Contributor

Another vote for Rock River

17. tylerw02

tylerw02

What do you intend to do with this AR? Accurate doesn't mean the best.

Many of the brands mentioned in this thread feature things like subpar metallurgy, over-sized gas ports, non-staked fasteners and nuts.

Typically, all the modern ARs can be quite accurate and you're seeing recommendations based on what he needs has rather than what is "best".

I would do some reading at M4carbine.net or a dedicated AR site for better information. Personally I would look at brands like DD, Colt, BCM, Sionics, etc and avoid makers like Bushmaster, DPMS, RRA, Stag, etc.

18. K9I449

K9I449

Well, I have to agree on RRA I have a Predator Model 16" barrel. changed the trigger to a Dark Sky 3lbs. It will shoot under 1/2" with 50gr Nosler BT and better than that with 55gr Bergers, killer with 65gr SGK.. I think they all will shoot IF they have GOOD barrels.

joshb likes this.
  19. joshb

joshb Gold $$ Contributor

Whoa, there. I have all three of those you mentioned. They are all great shooters.
    My little RR Arms carbine consistently shoots into an 1 1/2" at 100 with factory ammo. Just what I bought it for.
    My Stag 6 Varminter rivals some of my bolt guns.
    I have a DPMS SASS in 308 that shoots so well, I sold my GAP 10.
    I'm no expert on AR's but from my limited experience, my thoughts differ.

20. hunter243sgk

hunter243sgk

I will also say RRA. I have the 16" flat top. And when i got it i didnt expect it to be anywhere near this accurate. After working up several loads for it i was quit impressed. If i free floated the barrel and put in a better trigger i am sure it would do even better. These guns are a lot more accurate than the colts,bushmasters, and dpms. That i shot in the 80s and 90s.

joshb likes this.