Most accurate "out of the box" AR

Discussion in 'Small Stuff--22s, 20s, and 17s' started by Baddog0302, Nov 10, 2014.

1. ChuckMiller

ChuckMiller Silver $$ Contributor

RRA 24" Varmint, it would dogpile 69gr MK's at 200yds. I'm not a big AR fan, but I"ve owned Colt, Bushmaster, and Armalite and the RRA was by far the most accurate.

2. 5spd

5spd

Both my MMR AR15s shoot under an inch at 100 yds and cost was under $800.
    My last range session was .626" and .620" out of each AR...cant cry about that w/my 50/55g loads.
    Most Ar15s can shoot good depending on what load you will use or work up for it. IMO there is no reason to spend $1k+ for an AR15.
    I will say my 1st RRA 20" PP AR15 always printed 40/50/55 loads under and inch w/its 1/8" twist bbl...BUT it was heavy, sold it for a lighter rig and shoots as good or better w/a light profile bbl.

3. sparky123321

sparky123321 Silver $$ Contributor

I've owned numerous high-end AR's. Stag Model 6 all the way!!!!! 69gr SMK's + Varget + 7 1/2 Primers = 1/2MOA or better all day long.

I've owned 3 different Stag 6's over the years and they were all 1/2MOA or better shooters. Even talked my shooting buddy into one and you couldn't pry it out of his hands if you tried.

4. joshb

joshb Gold $$ Contributor

Hey. Just from my experience with my Stag, it likes loads closer to Max . Lighter loads didn't perform as well. As a rule, I try to use lighter loads to pamper my brass. Didn't work for my Stag. I had great results using BL-c2 at 26.7 grains, behind a 50 grain sp. 20.7 grains of 4198 worked well behind a 35 grain AMAX. Both loaded to magazine / book length. Good luck!

5. stinnett1981

stinnett1981

LMT (Lewis Machine & Tool). You can get them with the normal chrome moly AR barrels or a Stainless target barrel. LMT is one of the elite AR15 company's. My buddy has a LMT and a Daniel Defense. Both shoot good, but the LMT is more consistent with different ammo.

6. Doubletap

Doubletap

I own 5 rock rivers, everyone of them will beat their accuracy guarantee, would lone to have a Baer though

7. mac86951

mac86951 I prefer my targets level and unmoving Gold $$ Contributor

+1 to WOA uppers. Building your AR is easy to do and then you know every detail too.

-Mac

8. alintx

alintx

ShootsHave identicle rock river. Shoots half in with winchester or remington 45 hp. Cant go wrong with a rock !

9. searcher

searcher

If willing to spend a couple of grand - Les Baer! I assemble my own A/R's, yet I have done load development for three friends that purchased Les Baers and I will say they are accurate! They all purchased the heavy barreled varmint models. I don't know about the lighter rifles.

10. snowpro440

snowpro440 Silver $$ Contributor

If you think you could build one that's the way I would go. I built several with a free floated Wilson barrels and they shot very well once I found a good load that the gun liked. I have a DPMS heavy barrel that shoots under an inch but I don't shoot factory ammo or mil-spec stuff. I never had good accuracy with a stock trigger as they always needed a little tweaking there or buy after market one. I never liked the light weight barrels.

11. Corey Schwanz

Corey Schwanz

Rhino Arms has a 1/2 minutes guarantee as well. Little spendy, but they look like nice rifles.

The nice thing about ARs is how easy they are to assemble. You can buy one out of the box, or buy some parts like upper receivers, barrel, trigger etc and build your own exactly how you want it. Possibly even more accurate than a factory gun and usually at a little lower cost.

12. swampthang

swampthang

without a doubt the rock river is the top of the heap !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    i have the a.t.h. with hvt ss match barrell , already killed 3 bucks this yr over 170 lb and shooting 25.6 gr of h-322 behind a 75 gr hornady it will shoot 10 ( TEN ) SHOT GROUPS in a dime at 100 yds. AMAZINGLY ACCURATE. far exceeded my expectations for a gas gun. and at a cost alot cheaper than others. IF THEY WOULD CHAMBER ONE IN A 338 FEDERAL I WOULD BEG BORROW OR STEAL TO GET ANOTHER ONE, theyre just THAT GOOD!!

13. Baddog0302

Baddog0302

Thank you all for your input, I found 500 1 X PMC cases, so we are processing that to see what he can do with the RRA. One reason for looking at AR's is that we are both left handed, my goal is to get him interested and keep his interest by shooting the steel prairie dogs at 300 yds. [The limit of our range] I've looked at the Rem 700's but all their left handed rifles come with 1-12 twists. To slow for the 68/69's, so we would be limited to 55's maybe 60's and I don't want to over load him with reading wind AND basic shooting fundamentals .

14. Romulus

Romulus

IMHO most AR-15 triggers are horrible until you get past or near $1500-2000 which is a shame.

Those Remington triggers seem to be better than most factory type AR-15s.

I'll probably get a Barnes Precision for my AR-15 in 223/556

15. joshb

joshb Gold $$ Contributor

Not going to dissuade you from getting the AR. They're fun. If you were looking for a bolt gun in left hand, check out the Tikka line. I thought I saw one in 1/8 twist.

16. searcher

searcher

A few years ago, I won a Remington 700 sps in .223 with a 1-12" tw. barrel. Having very accurate A/R's for that caliber, I just thought it would be a gun I'd get rid of as no use for it. After getting some loads tuned in, I'm sure glad I kept it (I am left handed and use right handed bolt guns as well as some left hand customs). I find that shooting inexpensive 50 grain Z-Max bullets, 52 Bergers and 52 A-Maxes, that rifle has become my bolt action toy for accurate, informal fun. Unless you need the heavy bullets, I'd not count that rifle out. It shoots accurately (under 1/2 m.o.a.) to 600 yards with the 50 grain bullets - though you can go out to 750 or so with a 20 minute rail - and less accuracy.

17. Chief 101

Chief 101

https://www.facebook.com/vengeancearms
    These people make first class equipment...

18. Matt in Virginia

Matt in Virginia

I'll be damned. I'm in the majority for once... ;D ;D ;D

Rock River without question. I bought a NMA2 with the Navy Service Rifle discount about 10 years back and it has amazed. I know have two...

Regards, Matt.

19. Kpb46

Kpb46

I have a Anderson Arms that I can't hit spit with. When I shoot my friends Rock River I have no problem. Both have the same scope and we're using the same ammo. Have checked and double checked everything for tightness. Has me baffled.

20. sparky123321

sparky123321 Silver $$ Contributor

I've owned soooo many different AR's and the Stag Model 6 is my go too long range AR. My shooting buddy had a different AR, but after seeing how accurate my 6 was he sold his off and now shoots a Stag Model 6 as well. Just loves Varget and 69gr SMK or Bergers.