Help with slippery shooting bench

Discussion in 'Main Message Board' started by Rick300, Jul 8, 2019.

1. Rick300

Rick300 Silver $$ Contributor

I few years ago we built a shooting bench/picnic table out of Trex and it was fine until I started getting into the precision game. Now, I can't keep my rear bag from sliding around after a shot and it moves completely off target causing me to have to set it up every time. I have tried carpets with rubber backing, a bag stabilizer from Protektor, water on the bench, rubber mats from Home Depot, stall mats - nothing works. Since the bench is on my brother in laws property, I can't just change the top, so I'm looking for ideas how to make it "sticky". It can't be permanent because they use it as a picnic table occasionally.
    My current setup is a Cowan front rest with the slick material on the bag and the rear is a protector with a carry handle. I have waxed the bags and put stock tape on and that really helps on the concrete benches at the range, but not on the Trex.

GotRDid likes this.
  2. Uthink Uknow

Uthink Uknow Gold $$ Contributor

Several stores sell that rubber mesh stuff that they put on shelves in campers to keep the dishes quiet.

miles13 and GotRDid like this.
  3. JSH

JSH

Build a new picnic table......better yet a committed shooting bench

GotRDid, Daddymac and McGraw like this.
  4. Rick300

Thanks, I might give that a try. I was worried that it might be "squishy ".

5. Kermit in Va.

Kermit in Va.

Vehicle floor mats...
    Works pretty good.

Kermit

GotRDid likes this.
  6. Rick300

That's funny you say that. My brother in law literally just gave me one to try.

7. dickn52

dickn52 Gold $$ Contributor

I use adhesive backed sand paper discs.

8. Uthink Uknow

Uthink Uknow Gold $$ Contributor

He Said it isn’t his backyard.

9. JSH

JSH

Just saying a devoted bench goes a long way. Heck I have a mold I would loan out to make a good concrete top. Concrete blocks make good legs but I have some 3” and 4” pipe I would give away for three legs.

Buddy built a bench to shoot his BP 45-70 from. It turned into a multi purpose platform for his wife to get on and off the horse, don’t ask......... but the bench became worthless to shoot off of. That in turn did little for him trying to shoot 1k off of with any results.

Being consistent is a fair bit of precision shooting. I don’t see that with sand paper or floor mats on a slick surface.
    No offense meant to anyone, just hate seeing guys spend money on rigs, then fight a wobbly or poor base.

GotRDid likes this.
  10. GotRDid

GotRDid

$15-$20 yoga mat at Wally World, cut to fit, rolls up and stores with a rubber band.
    GotRDid.

11. divingin

divingin Gold $$ Contributor

I used a piece of neoprene sheet from McMaster-Carr (mcmaster.com)

I got 1/8" (in retrospect I could have used 1/16"), 30 durometer sheet, and cut it to fit the riser block I use. A little contact cement, and it works quite well on a polished concrete bench I usually shoot off of. If it gets a little slippery from dust or whatnot, a wipe with either a damp towel or acetone brings the tackiness back (depending on what the contamination is.)

FWIW I think that's what they use of the StabilFeet for front rests.

GotRDid likes this.
  12. dickn52

dickn52 Gold $$ Contributor

Sorry, but no where in the original post did I see wobbly bench. He was talking about sliding around on top of the bench unless I missed it. Sand paper under the rear bag will usually keep it from moving around.

13. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE- Thread Derail Crew Gold $$ Contributor

Soft rubber is too spongy. Get one of those thin solid rubber doormats. Lowes has them for $7

14. Rick300

Yep, you could park a truck on the bench. I just wish it had a different top

15. Rick300

Hmmm, I like that. Will give that a go also

16. Rick300

If he saw me gluing something to that bench it would probably be my last shooting session there! That's been the problem, everything I lay down moves with the recoil, even if it's light recoil

17. rwj

rwj Gold $$ Contributor

Similarly... skate board tape, also good for enhancing pistol grips! It won’t cut like sandpaper, is durable, and water resistant...

joshb likes this.
  18. Rick300

I don't know how you came up with that - but I'm trying it!

joshb likes this.
  19. mikecockcroft

mikecockcroft Silver $$ Contributor

We always used skate board tape on our uspsa pistol grips. There is a shelf liner that is very thin and quite tacky

20. Twdmar

Twdmar

Can you make a cover to put on top and attach it with a few clamps?

mikeinct likes this.