Wanting to build a 223 rifle to utilize the 90gn Berger bullet at our local 1000yd steel plate matches I spent a lot of time researching what worked and what didn't work in regards to this bullet. Based entirely on input from fellow shooters and the articles found in various forums I started my build. I have always been a fan of the Savage Target Action so that's what I based my build on. After picking up a dual port target action at our local shop next on the list was a barrel and chassis. The chassis was supplied by Accurate Rifle Systems in Mount Vernon Ohio and the barrel is a 28" SS select match 1-7 twist Shilen. For glass and mounts I went with my favorite, a Night Force Competition 15-55x52 with DDR2 reticle in Burris Signature Series rings then I put my favorite Henry Remple bipod on the front, build complete. Every article I read stated that a .169 free bore was essential using the long 90gn pill, so in order to achieve this I purchased a PTG throating reamer and lengthened the free bore to the recommended .169. Once the throating was completed the next thing to do was to come up with a load that could obtain roughly 2850fps which is the velocity recommendation made in many of the articles I read. I only fired a total of 6 rounds across my chronograph before reaching the recommended 2850fps loading the 90 grainers .012 into the lands with Lapua brass, Varget powder and igniting it with Federal Primers. Now it's off to the range to see if it is possible to build a rifle based completely on the results of others. I took 9 shots to zero my new rifle which made for a total of 15 shots down the tube then with no load development other than velocity I fired my first five shot group with it. The results were amazing, this is a picture of the rifle and its first five shot group. Looking forward to trying this out in it's first match this month.