Finally First Coyote

Discussion in 'Varminter & Hunting Forum' started by GNERGY, Nov 21, 2019.

1. GNERGY

GNERGY Silver $$ Contributor

Had some time off of work so me and my friend Shaun decided to go and try to call some coyotes. We took his Foxpro and tried to find some open areas in the unit where we elk hunted. It is pretty thick with pines and junipers. Seamed like everytime we found an area that we could see more than 200yds there was a camper or motorhome or a couple of tents set up. Found out it was bow elk season, so we didn't want to infringe on someones elk hunt. After a couple hours of scouting we found an area without any hunters ( that we could find nearby ) and set up the caller and the mojo critter. Just then it started to rain, just our luck, but we stayed put and I was under a tree that offered a little protection. But of course the wind started blowing the rain sideways, then out thru some trees about 200yds away I saw a coyote coming towards the caller ( which was still about 70yds away from it ). I had it in my scope but was hoping there would be more coyotes behind it so I didn't shoot then. The coyote headed towards the caller and I lost sight of it but it didn't come out in the open near the caller. Then I saw it running in the opposite direction till the caller started calling again and it immediately turned around and I saw the ears perk up, that was its last mistake. I put the cross hairs just behind its shoulder and squeezed one off, I saw the coyote drop, then it started flipping around and I thought to myself, you're not getting away and put another round into the flippin pile and it quit moving. Shaun kept the caller going for 5 minutes but no more came in. I went and retrieved the coyote and Shaun grabbed the caller, we took a couple pics in the rain I finally have my first coyote under my belt. 20191119_153542.jpg 20191119_153548 (1).jpg
    I was using an AR I put together. I was using Nosler 69gr HPBT It ended up being a mediun size female.

Just as a side story my friend Shaun started hunting coyotes when he was young hunting with his father. He was telling me that one of the first times hunting his dad was who using hand calls and told Shaun to just shoot the dogs as he called them as soon as they come in. So Shaun was telling me this big white dog come running in and Shaun shot him. His dad came over hearing the shot and said what did you do, coyotes aren't white. Shaun said you never told me that, his dad said we better get out of here. I started laughing when Shaun told me that. Him and his dad joked about it years later.
    Thanks for listening.
    Tarey

2. Dub

Dub Silver $$ Contributor

nice!

3. DirtySteve

DirtySteve Gold $$ Contributor

Congrats..

4. OKyote73

OKyote73

Watch out, calling coyotes can become very addicting

5. wildfowler

wildfowler Silver $$ Contributor

That is a great story!!

6. GNERGY

Thanks Guys,
    I was starting to read reviews and look for my own caller.
    Tarey
    My friend has a Foxpro Fury,
    any suggestions.

7. Toddmack

Toddmack

Nice work, the adrenaline peaks pretty quick when you first see that first coyote doesn't it?
    And good job for you guys not being A-holes and setting up around the elk hunters.

8. Bill K

Bill K Silver $$ Contributor

Good start, now you will be hooked. Nice looking rifle there also.

9. liljoe

liljoe Silver $$ Contributor

Nice yote. What's the paint stripes on the trees?

Joe

10. GNERGY

I wonder that myself, I have no idea, some have orange, some blue, some yellow, they are everywhere we hunt, but we have never seen anybody cutting any down. It is the Christopher Creek area, east of Payson AZ. Units 22 & 23
    Tarey

11. jmkasza

jmkasza

Great story, congrats. I've hunted deer for 25 years and finally decided to pull the trigger on my first yote this October. With all them dogs running around where we hunt our camp agreed it was open season this year.