Can you switch bolts in Hall actions?

Discussion in '6PPC, 6-6.5x47, 6XC, 6 Rem, 243' started by Chris Covell, Nov 14, 2018.

1. Chris Covell

Chris Covell

I have a Hall B action that is in a rail gun, that is chambered in 30BR. I would like to know if I could switch it out with a PPC bolt, and make the rail gun a traditional rail set up. Thanks in advance.

2. shoot4fun

shoot4fun Gold $$ Contributor

142 County Road 406
    Clanton, AL 35045
    [​IMG](205) 755-4094
    Call Alan and ask. I think it would be hard for us laymen to answer without knowing the age of your action.
    Alan would know for sure.

3. Chris Covell

Chris Covell

4. JohnHenry

JohnHenry

Bought a used HV (Hall B action) in 308 that I wanted to switch to 6PPC. On Allan Hall's advice, I had Allan replace the 308 extractor with a PPC extractor. He felt that there could possibly be some problems reliably extracting a PPC case with his 308 extractor.

5. Chris Covell

Chris Covell

Did it work? He told me I could try to find another bolt, that is already PPC.

6. JohnHenry

JohnHenry

Worked great; no issues. My bolt has no ejector.

PS: I don't believe that Allan has built any centerfire actions in quite awhile. He may not have any parts remaining. He changed my extractor a number of years ago.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2018
  7. Chris Covell

Chris Covell

I wonder if I should try that first.

8. JohnHenry

JohnHenry

Easy fix if you can find a PPC extractor. Bolts are pricey. Who knows; maybe your 308 extractor will extract a PPC case satisfactorily.

9. Chris Covell

Chris Covell

I put one in and its sloppy.

10. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE- Thread Derail Crew Gold $$ Contributor

No 2 hall actions were ever built that would interchange any parts including trigger hangers or even barrels

11. Chris Covell

Chris Covell

I figured. Good to know. I have a light varmint in PPC. this was a project gun I happened to obtain, and not sure what to do with.

12. Dusty Stevens

Any gunsmith can make it a br bolt- it sure dont have to go to clanton. Alan hasnt messed with a centerfire action in 15+ yrs. if you want a br id sell that complete ppc rig and buy a br suitable rig- thats what id do if i wanted to go that way

13. Chris Covell

Chris Covell

I want to make my extra BR action a PPC. I have a hall PPC that I group shoot with. I have another action on a rail gun that i'm talking about here.

14. Dusty Stevens

Any gunsmith can fix that then. Id just about bet itll pull it right now with no mods. Send it to carlsbad and he can bush the boltface and rework the extractor just to be 100% done with it or wait til you find out. Your gunsmith is going to chamber your barrel either way so let him give it a try. If it doesnt work within a week it will if carlsbad get a hold of it.

15. Chris Covell

Chris Covell

Contact info for him?

16. Dusty Stevens

@carlsbad

Thatll roust him out of his slumber. Its like yodeling

Chris Covell likes this.
  17. carlsbad

carlsbad Lions don't lose sleep over the opinions of sheep. Gold $$ Contributor

Sorry guys. My dayshift employer has blocked this site so I've only got cell phone access and that only on slow days. I only worked half a day today (12 hours). I was in meetings at least 8 of them.

Depending on the ejector type, I certainly can bush your bolt and change it to PPC boltface for you. If it has a rem style extractor, no problem. If it is a 308 bf with a Mini M16, no problem. If it is a sako, it becomes too hard. Can't move the spring hole. If it is a sliding plate, then I can't move it.

It seems I'm getting this request a lot lately--I guess it is the current popularity of some cases with this base. I've got one in the lathe right now for a forum member.

I can do either sako of mini-M16 for $140. I kindo recommend the SAKO since this is below the recommended min case size for the mini M16 but I've been able to make it work with no complaints so I can do either. I know some don't like the sako.

Thanks for the recommendation Dusty.

-Jerry

18. Chris Covell

Chris Covell

I will PM you. Hopefully you can do it. Thanks everyone!!!

19. Chris Covell

Chris Covell

Here is the bolt face

Attached Files:

20. carlsbad

carlsbad Lions don't lose sleep over the opinions of sheep. Gold $$ Contributor

Sorry I don't know a way to move that extractor inward. Anybody else have any ideas?