Can you switch bolts in Hall actions?

Discussion in '6mm, 6.5mm, and .25 Cal (Not 6BR)' started by Chris Covell, Nov 14, 2018.

1. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE- Thread Derail Crew Gold $$ Contributor

Ive seen those extractor cuts filled with a t-slot looking blank that fits tight and blended in with a mini m16 installed. Ive also seen those extractors modified to slide farther by changing the ball detent underneath or a new longer one from kelblys fit to match. Ive seen the spring and plunger hole filled and redrilled to bring the plate closer to the case. The way alan did things though is that was a ppc action modified to take a br case initially. Ive seen a bunch over the years that still had the original extractor in there with the boltface opened up so im betting itll pull a ppc right now. Bushing the OD would be simple and icing on the cake.

2. rebel107

rebel107

Just wondering, how close these Hall action bolts would be to interchange between actions? I have a 6ppc bolt but want a .308. I know it's easy enough for a competent gunsmith to open up the bolt from PPC to .308, Alan told me it was possible but doing a transfer from OZ to USA might be an issue and too costly for everyone.

3. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE- Thread Derail Crew Gold $$ Contributor

Each action was hand made so its going to be a crapshoot as to if another bolt will fit. Your gunsmith should be able to fit a different bolt easily unless the diameters are too far off

4. critter_bill

critter_bill Rabid Rifleman Gold $$ Contributor

Amen. In the 90s, I had two Hall Ms and one Hall S that, as I recall, had about .005" difference in headspace plus thread size variation between them. All shot well but NO barrel switching between them. These were all 7XX serial numbers but I'd bet the others were the same.