Best scope for Benchrest

Discussion in 'Scopes, Optics, LRFs, Spotters, BoreScopes' started by LouTarantino, Sep 15, 2006.

1. retired

retired

lead.....its a really old post/thread..as in over 11 years.

2. peter6mm

peter6mm

These comments are my opinion based upon owning and using each of the scopes I refer to. I limit my comments to fixed power scopes. My comments are based upon the cost of theses scopes in the UK.
    Weaver T36 good value, but glass clarity varies from scope to scope so you need to look through the scope you are buying. Don’t recommend buying on the internet for this reason. Keeps it value and easy to sell.
    Sightron 36 Big Sky very similar to Weaver T36 more consistent glass from scope to scope so OK to buy without looking through it. Available in black only - Weaver is available in black and silver. Performance, reliability on a par with Weaver. Choose between Weaver and Sightron based upon which you can buy at lowest price, unless you want it in silver.
    Leupold Competition x 45 is a step up in overall quality and price and has the best guarantee. Easy to sell and used by many centre fire and small bore .22rf benchrest shooters. Never had and issue with a Leupold. Recommend looking through an example before buying to see the reticle - they look like they are made of wire.
    Nightforce x 42 fixed Competition. My personal favourite but another step up in price. Overall design and performance is excellent. This is my “go to” scope for competitions. It’s strong, well made and holds point of impact and the adjustments are consistent with no issues.
    March x 48 High Master. I had to try this scope which on price should be the best of the best. Yet another step up in price. Very well made and great glass. My comments on its performance are the same as for the Nightforce x 42.

Which would I buy again or recommend - Nightforce x 42 fixed Competition because it does everything I want at the best value price.

Zero333 and LA50SHOOTER like this.
  3. R.Morehouse

R.Morehouse Gold $$ Contributor

I live in western Pa. and when i wanted a scope for my 6ppc i asked a local HOF 6ppc shooter what he thought would be best for me. He said the best scope available for this type of shooting is the one he uses......The fixed 50 March. He said he has tried them all on the many guns he has built for himself and others over the years. Jim Borden is truly a credit to the sport and industry. I have been using the 50 March for the last few years and am completely satisfied....

Best Regards
    Rick

LA50SHOOTER likes this.
  4. BobTR

BobTR

Hi! Try atn x-sight II hd 3-14x. This powerful scope with variable magnification should be suitable for Benchrest.

5. MSS

MSS

NF 12x42.

6. Ledd Slinger

Ledd Slinger Gold $$ Contributor

I have a Kahles 10-50x56 on the way. I also have another 50X scope from a new manufacturer on the way that I will be testing against the Kahles.
    Don't want to mention the new manufacturer's name just yet because it is definitely a big step down in price from the Kahles and you guys might crucify me for even thinking about trying the scope. Lol :D

It has very favorable reviews in it's price range (they few I was able to find) even when compared to the S&B 12-50x56 (not quite as good as the S&B obviously). I know reviews from people using optics in the lower price ranges aren't usually very applicable to folks who prefer alpha glass, but I don't want to praise or bash a company's name before I see the optics for myself. It may be very impressive for folks who can only afford so much, but not so much for others. The new manufacturer does claim that the scope has ED glass and holds zero very well on big recoiling rounds.

Anyhow, I debated on testing it for quite some time and it finally intrigued me enough to press the "add to cart" and "proceed to checkout" buttons. If impressive enough that I feel it's worth mentioning on this site, I may post a review. If not so much, then I will may throw it on a varmint rifle (if 'good enough') or return it for a refund.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
  7. Gman

Gman Gold $$ Contributor

You do realize that most short range BR shooters tend to use a fixed 35x or higher magnification, while most long range BR shooters tend to use variable power scopes that have more than 14x on the top end.

8. Gabe

Gabe

I would strongly recommend that you go to a benchrest match and ask some of the competitors if you can take a look through ther scopes. If you decide on a march or a Nightforce it's best to see first hand what you are going to be buying , Remimber any of these two scopes I mentioned are about two grand each in price. Its best to know what you are going to buy before you buy it. Me personally I like march and Nightforce scopes. Both are solid and have outstanding glass, If i had to pick one it would be the Nightforce 42x44 fixed mainly because of the warranty . Nightforce has a lifetime warranty that can be transferred to a new buyer if you ever wanted to sell it. March only has five years. Any scope can develop a problem I don't care who makes it, but it's nice to know that if it ever happens to you, your covered.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018