6.5 creedmoor lapua brass

Discussion in 'Reloading Forum (All Calibers)' started by vmaxpro, Aug 23, 2016.

1. milo-2

milo-2 Gold $$ Contributor

What color is the koolaid you're drinking?

Puzzaz01 and rardoin like this.
  2. jlow

jlow

All I can say is if you are considering buying a 6.5CM because Lapua brass may be available, don't do it unless you see it on the shelves, because even if it becomes available tomorrow, you will be hard press to find any for a long time.

3. vmaxpro

vmaxpro

I really cant complain. I was so excited to see them bring out the fireball. It turned my 17 and VT into damn near short range bench rifles. I remember on saubier the excitement to hear of the 22-250 brass in the works!

4. rardoin

rardoin Silver $$ Contributor

I knew it would not take long for Grimstod to start dogging the 6.5 Creedmoor and extolling the pious virtues of the 6.5 x47L.:rolleyes:

I think a 6.5 Creedmoor must have stolen his lunch money:D.

mac86951, Grimstod and milo-2 like this.
  5. Grimstod

Grimstod

Not really. Your right. I shpuld try to not come of as anti Creedmoor. I thinks its great if you dont reload. Have recomended it to segeral froeds that do not reload. And the vast majority of shooters do not reload.

It does puzzle me that reloaders try to reload for creedmoor

6. vmaxpro

vmaxpro

I reload for it. I was too impateint to wait for a barrel haha. Once this ones on its way out Im going x47.

7. dkhunt14

dkhunt14

Sometimes it is hard for shooters to except facts. I see no Creedmoor in Benchrest. In fact I only see a few 6 or 6.5x47's. Some of them do well and the 6.5x47 just set a new IBS Heavy gun record. These are just facts. Guys have been after Lapua for years to make 300 WSM brass. Between F-Class and BR there are a lot more guns shooting this. Now even a lot of hunting guns are being built because of the accuracy of the cartridge. Even a couple of team Lapua shooters are shooting the WSM. Matt

8. milo-2

I guess if you can save .40 rd, why would you not. Prime ammo here may be a game changer, I don't recall anyone around me setting the world on fire with factory Hornady ammo. Oh, I guess I've seen smoke from primers being blown out, lol.
    With the right powders, 2900+ is easy with the 6.5 creed and a 140gr bullet. Not sure how the x47 and creed are ballistic twins?
    The 6.5 creed is and will be for some time the perfect case for newer shooters to get into the LR shooting game, not talking BR shooting either.

9. Grimstod

Grimstod

47 averages 2850 with 140gr progectiles and can be pushed to 2900

10. CTK

CTK Gold $$ Contributor

I wish that they would make 280 AI brass. Not holding my breath. Not many people shoot 7-08 in competition and they came out with brass for it. That is a good sign that they are willing to make brass for the non competitor.

11. rardoin

Just ribbing you Grimstod as you do come across as a bit biased to the Lapua....but not without good reason i admit. I like underdogs I suppose. My current F-class build is a 6.5 x55 BJAI....

If my factory rifle that I am temporarily using for F-class and Field Precision Rifle offered the 6.5 x 47 as an option I would have gone that direction. I have only bought factory centerfire ammo (in the past 15 years) to get brass so I was planning on reloading anyhow; any chambering would have worked but of the 3 offerings, the Creed was the best for me.

Grimstod likes this.
  12. CTK

CTK Gold $$ Contributor

I am going to clock some of my loads this weekend. If I get 2850 with 130 VLD's out of my 47L I would be thrilled. I have a 23" barrel and assume these speeds are coming out of a 28-30" barrel. Seemingly most people that load for the 47L, blow past book and software max loads without pause. Perhaps the 47L case is an entirely new standard for pressure tolerance?

13. milo-2

Bullshit.

Puzzaz01 likes this.
  14. jlow

jlow

When I looked for a 6.5, I looked at all three - .260Rem, 6.5CM, and the 6.5x47L. I avoided the 6.5x47L because of reported problems with the SRP with the AI AT. Between the .260Rem and 6.5CM, the choice was clear since Lapua brass was only available for the .260Rem. Really as far as I can see, the main reason for the 6.5CM is because there is a segment of the tactical shooters who do not reload and so Hornady loaded ammunition is available for it. So the question is why would Lapua make brass for 6.5CM? i.e. if you want to reload, you've already gone .260Rem and the whole idea of getting good brass is to reload?

I understand with anything, there are outliers i.e. some 6.5CM shooters reload but they are not the majority, so the logic of not making 6.5CM Lapua brass seems logical.

Grimstod likes this.
  15. Grimstod

Grimstod

I think the Kelbly boys shoot that sweed your talking about. It sounds pretty swwet.

16. Grimstod

Grimstod

Lapua does test to 130% of Psi standards where Hornady tests to 125%

17. KevinThomas

KevinThomas

May as well go ahead and drive a stake through the heart of this thread right now; Yes, we currently have 6.5 Creedmoor in to works. We discussed this one at length in Finland during a new products development meeting a few months back. Several of us were pushing this one rather hard, due to the tremendous feedback we'd taken on the cartridge, and the popularity that the cartridge has already earned. Not a big one in Europe, but the US market is a significant share of our business, and we most definitely do listen to customer input. The first set ups are currently being done, and the initial trial run and in-house testing will be done shortly after that. If all goes well, we'll move on with production and hopefully make the formal introduction of this one during the SHOT show in January.

Hang on guys, it's coming.

mac86951, jlow, Laurie and 5 others like this.
  18. Sheldon N

Sheldon N Silver $$ Contributor

Excellent news Kevin. Thanks for confirming the rumors.

Personally I think it's a smart move. You'll capture a big share of the reloading market from the Hornady/Norma/factory brass crowd, especially for people who started out with factory ammo and then made the switch to reloading. I'm guessing the number of new sales due to the popularity of the 6.5 Creedmoor will well outpace any "loss" from people who jump from the 6.5x47 over to the Creed.

19. Auto-X Fil

Auto-X Fil Silver $$ Contributor

Large primer? Either way, great news! I'll be ordering ASAP.

I guess I'll keep shooting Hornady instead of re-working my load for Norma while I wait.

milo-2 likes this.
  20. rardoin

Kevin, with your permission I would like to quote this post on the 6.5Creedmoor site.