20 Vartarg Action

Discussion in 'Small Stuff--22s, 20s, and 17s' started by Mark McMahon, Dec 17, 2019.

1. Barossa_222

Barossa_222

I was going to buy a howa mini action to play with, but can't bring myself with the plastic bottom and box mag. I really can't stand box mags for serious culling work. They are atrocious for field use, especially when shooting from a vehicle at night. The moment someone makes a nice blind internal mag with a floor plate for them I'll have one. The CZ 527 imo is a far superior action to the Howa in nearly every aspect when put side by side.

Mark W and L.Sherm like this.
  2. Rdlningcltchdmpr

Rdlningcltchdmpr Gold $$ Contributor

Cz527= junk, junk., junk. Inho.

3. Barossa_222

Barossa_222

I'm curious what you don't like about them. Every one I've ever seen has shot well above average. I respect your opinion, just curious. I've seen a lot more average howa minis, over here at least. I don't mind the howa actions in general. Just hate the mag system. Curious to get your insight.

4. Rdlningcltchdmpr

Rdlningcltchdmpr Gold $$ Contributor

Thank you for asking, i bought a new cz527/762×39. I used Neil Jones hand die's. I used bullet's that were .308, .310, .311" many different powder's , five different factory ammo types including Lapua. Nothing would shoot better than about 5" @ 100yds. I called cz headquarters and they told me to fly a kite. I had Dwight Scott put a lilja .308/762×39 barrel on it and it immediately shot groups around .25-.30". So that proved it was a bad barrel. Next it would not detonate cci primers so i had to use federal primers only. Next the extractor broke and the replacement one broke also. The locking lug's on the bolt didn't have but a tiny bit of contact with the action, like 5%-10% so it really needed to be accurized/ blue printed. The lugs are very small compared to the Howa and the one lug has a cut right through the center thus weakening the small lug. The only thing that i really like about the Howa is the action itself, it is precisely made and very very strong and fires any primer and mates to the action properly. The Howa needs to have a replacement stock, trigger, barrel, and bottom metal but the action is fantastic.

5. msalm

msalm

I would agree on the Howa actions themselves. I’ve been messing with them for awhile in the Grendel/7.62 bf’s and they make a handy little rifle. So far I’ve built a 20 Grendel (just finished), 224 LBC, 243 LBC, 6.5 Grendel and I even opened up a factory 7.62x39 barrel chamber with a Grendel reamer up to the 7.62 shoulder. Take apart the trigger and grind/cut 1 1/2 coils off each spring and you have a crisp 1 3/4-2lb trigger.

Yes the bottom plastic is crap, but it feeds slick as can be. I cut off most of the release so you don’t inadvertently drop the mag.

I recently bedded my 224 LBC into the B&C sporter stock and it is a slick handling rifle and seems to be shooting 1/2 MOA pretty easily with the Heym barrel I used. A bdl bottom metal unit would be nice to have but I’m pretty happy with them overall at this point.

As an addition, I have a couple CZ527’s, and they are pretty rough in comparison as far as cycling. The set trigger doesn’t do much for me either as to get a decent ‘standard’ pull you have to adjust the set feature out of it.