20 Vartarg Action

Discussion in 'Small Stuff--22s, 20s, and 17s' started by Mark McMahon, Dec 17, 2019.

1. Mark McMahon

Mark McMahon Gold $$ Contributor

What's the slickest little single shot action out there for the Vartarg?

2. 22DASHER

22DASHER Gold $$ Contributor

Borden Alpine

17VLD likes this.
  3. 1raggedhole

1raggedhole Silver $$ Contributor

Or cooper 38

17VLD and Rick in Oregon like this.
  4. Doug30racer

Doug30racer

There is a cz 527 in 20 var tar for sale in the classifieds

Mark W likes this.
  5. NorCalMikie

NorCalMikie Gold $$ Contributor

XP 100. You're going to swap barrels anyway.(?) Single shot that works.
    Remington has made a couple of rifles chambered the Vartarg so feeding and extraction isn't a problem.
    One of the issues is the short case popping off the bolt face just as it gets to or just before it hits the loading port. So any action built for the short round should work.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2019
  6. Sniper338

Sniper338

I have a borden BR action on mine. Rblpre

Ramblerman and Evan like this.
  7. varmintshooter

varmintshooter

I like my Cooper 38

8. Evan

Evan Gold $$ Contributor

That's my setup too. I'm considering a left load, drop port config for the next one.

steve123 likes this.
  9. 7315br

7315br Silver $$ Contributor

My $.02 worth. I've had several Coopers in 20 VT. Nice rifles and very accurate but not what I really liked out in the squirrel fields. My current 20 VT rifle is a Stiller Predator V in 20 VT. It is a RBLP single shot with a coned nosed bolt. Loads fast and very slick to operate. I also have a XP-100 in 20VT. Doesn't load as nicely as the Stiller. Always fooling around trying to load it. Extremely accurate though. If I had it to do over again...BAT SV. Currently building one in 20 Mink. Now that's a nice action! 7315br

Gabe22BR likes this.
  10. SmokinJoe

SmokinJoe SSOY 2004 Silver $$ Contributor

My favorite is the Dakota Varminter/Predator, perfect action for the 223 family of cartridges, small Sako is good, too. However, the custom actions with .700 bolt diameter will have smoother opening, closing function due to cocking cam angle. I also like my Nesika action rifles with that class of cartridge.

11. Sniper338

Sniper338

Thats what id do too.

12. Woodchk

Woodchk Gold $$ Contributor

I have XP100 handgun for woodchucks love it .

17VLD and NorCalMikie like this.
  13. NorCalMikie

NorCalMikie Gold $$ Contributor

Built my VT on a Savage action. Feeding in OK (single feed) and extraction is set up with no ejector rod. Brass stays on the bolt head till I pick it off. ;)
    Tried using a Savage for my "20 TCM" Wildcat. You have to point the short round up and start it into the chamber before you think about closing the bolt. :mad:
    Pulled my XP converted rifle in .221 Fireball out of it's case and thought I'd try something. Dropped the the "20 TCM" round in the port and partially closed the bolt maybe 3/4 of the way?. Loaded round so I didn't try closing the bolt all the way.
    Bolt closed as smooth as silk. Like the "20 TCM" was made for it.:cool:
    Another XP action (when I find one) will be re barreled with a 22" Shilen (just like it's .221 Fireball brother) chambered in "22 TCM".:cool::D

14. SmokinJoe

SmokinJoe SSOY 2004 Silver $$ Contributor

If you like the XP idea, you can shop for either a Model 7 in Fireball or one of the 300 BLK actions which have the extractor setup for FB cartridge.

15. Gabe22BR

Gabe22BR Gold $$ Contributor

Rem 221 FB action. It’s Made for it.
    I have a Stiller tac30 that extracts just as great!!

NorCalMikie likes this.
  16. Ramblerman

Ramblerman Gold $$ Contributor

I treated myself to a Borden Rimrock BR action recently and it is without a doubt the slickest bolt I've ever shucked...a few of my shooting friends also agreed. Ymmv.

17. Barossa_222

Barossa_222

My Vartarg is built on a Sako L461 repeater action and is slick as a button. I think it's about perfect as far as 'factory' actions go. Usually the first gun I reach for when going for small game.
    I recently purchased a Borden Alpine repeater in 6 Dasher and would have no problems recommending one for a custom Vartarg build. Very very impressed with the quality. Definitely going to look at another one for a 7x57AI build.

rrwildlife, Rick in Oregon and 17VLD like this.
  18. CATMAN

CATMAN

I have one in aSako L461 repeater, slick as butter. Don

rrwildlife and Barossa_222 like this.
  19. 17VLD

17VLD

Love my Cooper 21s in 20 VT one wears the Phoenix stock and one has nice English walnut.Also bought a 221FB in a Rem LVSF to turn into one but never did that yet.Have always thought a BAT SV would be sweet.Lots of neat customs out there,I guess it all depends on your usage and $$$$
    Let us know what you come up with.
    Matt

7315br and Rick in Oregon like this.
  20. Rdlningcltchdmpr

Rdlningcltchdmpr Gold $$ Contributor

The custom actions are the best but for an inexpensive action i am a big fan of the Howa mini actions. I use Krieger barrel and rifle basics 1-lb trigger and a Brownells walnut stock so i can piller bed it easy. Also aftermarket aluminum bottom metal. Talley lightweight rings. This is nearly perfect combo. I once had a cz 527 and it was a nightmare, never again.

JSH likes this.