XR100 build

Discussion in 'Gun Project Questions & Gunsmithing' started by CChastain, Dec 1, 2019.

1. CChastain

CChastain Silver $$ Contributor

I picked up a XR 100 this weekend thinking I might build a coyote gun out of it . I really like the feel of the stock and single shot action which appears to be a model 7 . Had anyone used these for a build ? I would like to have the stock bedded and rebarrel with an 8 twist 6br . Any thoughts or suggestions appreciated

Chris

2. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE- Thread Derail Crew Gold $$ Contributor

Nice short actions for sure

NorCalMikie likes this.
  3. tmwinds

tmwinds Gold $$ Contributor

What caliber is it now? It might make a fine coyote rifle as is. In the past I owned a couple of the XR100's in .223 caliber. With hand loads and a little testing they would shoot 1/2 moa at 100 yards. These are great little rifles and the value of unmolested examples is increasing.

4. CChastain

It's a 22-250 which is a round I'm very unfamiliar with .

5. NorCalMikie

NorCalMikie Gold $$ Contributor

I think that if it was me, I'd be getting "very familiar" with that caliber. Known to be pretty accurate. You just might end up liking it.:cool: A little hot for my liking but to each his own.
    6BR is a known bug hole maker with very little work needed. If you DO go 6 BR, start off with ZERO freebore and a no turn neck chamber. Leave the neck turning to someone else. Spend your time shooting, not turning necks.;)

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
  6. CChastain

I will probably give it a try . I have a Dasher and have had several 22br's and 6br's . I agree with the no turn neck . And it seems anything that uses the br case is easy to tune .

NorCalMikie likes this.
  7. shooter74

shooter74

I have that exact gun with a 12 twist 6br Kreiger #6 contour. It’s a flat lights out shooter. Be a nice action to build on imho.

8. CChastain

What bullets are you using in the 12 twist ?

9. RussellJ

RussellJ Silver $$ Contributor

I have rebarreled a couple of XR100's, a 20 VarTarg and a short freebore 6mm DASHER. Yes the XR100 is a single shot Model 7.

10. chuckshooter

chuckshooter Silver $$ Contributor

I have four of these, they are super accurate and really like them for shooting squirrels and prairie dogs, all of mine have the 223 bolt head, 20 tac, (2)204's and a 223. The thumb hole stock gives my wrist a break from the standard type of stock as I broke my wrist 10 years ago and it's never been the same. I kept the original 40x triggers but I did re spring all of the them. All have been rebarreled except the 223, which just doesn't get shot anymore. They are definitely getting more expensive, as the word got out that they're a great little short action solid bottom receiver rifle

rogina likes this.