xp100 pistols w/ rifle scopes-is it possible?????

Discussion in 'Main Message Board' started by FryeGuy, Jan 30, 2012.

1. FryeGuy

FryeGuy

ok guys, just picked up a XP100 in 221 fireball this weekend. I don't have a pistol scope, but do have a rifle scope in 4.5-14x40. the gun already had bases, I can add rings. I had planned on shooting it with open sights for a while until I could afford a pistol scope. but then I do have this rifle scope laying around. once mounted, is it awkward as hell to shoot? with more power, I know I will see target better, but it kind of goes against the ideal of a pistol in my mind. just wanted some first hand experience from all the xp shooters out there. I do plan to hunt with it some, possibly.

2. tonedaddy

tonedaddy

It will work as long as there is not too much recoil, and with the 221 I think you would be safe with a firm grip.

3. Eddie Harren

Eddie Harren

I been shooting my rear grip XP-100 in 223x35* for nearly 20 years with a 12X Leupold. No problems.

4. ridgeway

ridgeway Silver $$ Contributor

Recoil has nothing to do with it. Brake it if there is too much. I would not shoot an XP without a rifle scope. I shoot a Leupold 8.5-25 LRT on my 6BR XP. Go for it, you're fine.

5. Nomad47

Nomad47

I have a 6.5-20 rifle scope on my Competitor 22-250
    [​IMG]

6. Preacher

Preacher Gold $$ Contributor

Lots more rifle scopes on XP's than you can count...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. FryeGuy

FryeGuy

thanks for all the replies. is it possible at all to shoot them without a bench with the riflescopes?

preacher, where did you get those stocks? is it hard to change from the center grip to a rear grip?

8. Preacher

As far as the change over, all you really need is a rear grip trigger.. I have Jewells in most of mine, but a 700 trigger works just fine also..

9. Rustystud

Rustystud Site $$ Sponsor

I have a Leupold extended eye relief scope on my Fireball and shoot it from arms length. I would hate to get and eye full of acope. My Fireball shoots sub 1. MOA out to 300 yards.
    Nat Lambeth

10. Nomad47

Nomad47

My rifle scoped Competitor 22-250 with muzzle brake has hardly any recoil. The muzzle moves up less than one inch. No danger of "scope eye" whatsoever.
    Preacher, my Competitor would sure look good with your stable of XP-100s. ;) $900 with 100 twice fired and 100 new brass and dies.

11. ridgeway

Yeah....heck with those LER handgun scopes on XP's. If you want long range precision, a riflescope is a must. Brake it if recoil is an issue.

[​IMG]

12. ridgeway

Preacher....as I said in the past...your SP's are sweet!

13. Preacher

The one you show is no slough either .....

14. old leghumper

old leghumper Silver $$ Contributor

243A! on a MOA Maximum pistol with brake. Very minimal movement. Checkout the MOA Cold Turkey match where rifle scopes are the norm

http://home.comcast.net/~MOA_Shooters/MOASHOOTERSB.htm

[​IMG]

15. flyinlizard

flyinlizard

go to specialtypistols.infopop.cc/eve/forums Lots of great people and info. Ernie did a nice write up on the subject..

16. djtjr

djtjr

It's no problem at laa with the right hold it's really the only way to go for a long range setup. I shoot a 6.5 wsm with 140s all day and never had an issue. To start and till you get comfortable acquire your sight picture at normal eye relief and them back off a bit. You get some blackening around the edges of the scope but see fine for the shot. Once you get used to it that is not usually necessary unless you are shooting a monster cartridge
    D