Wow that case is full !

Discussion in 'Big Stuff--7mm, 30 Cal, .338+' started by JMayo, Mar 31, 2020.

1. JMayo

JMayo

I'm loading my first 30br. 4198 @ 33.8.
    Maybe an 8th to the top.
    Crushing that powder !
    Compared to the 6bra bt 105's that'll stick in and stay there while I put the seater over it the 30br is a pita to hold, don't spill & set seater over it.
    My fingers do not work well because of a accident years ago.
    It would be easier on the press no doubt. Oh well, like I have the time to get all 200 done for fire forming.

2. bcarico

bcarico Silver $$ Contributor

If you are using a Wilson set the die over the case and drop the bullet in from the top through the stem hole, replace the top then seat the bullet.

338 dude, tmwinds, Joe Salt and 3 others like this.
  3. R.Morehouse

R.Morehouse Gold $$ Contributor

If what your saying is that your bullet is sitting on top of the powder before starting to seat it, I would suggest trying a 6" drop tube and a slow pour into the case. I do this with my ppc's and it buys me some room compared to just dumping it in....

Regards
    Rick

4. 243winxb

243winxb

Lefty Trigger likes this.
  5. Lefty Trigger

Lefty Trigger Gold $$ Contributor

What 243winxb said, faster powder will require a little less of it reducing the amount in the case. I may be old school but I never load anything compressed.

hillbillydruggist likes this.
  6. gunsandgunsmithing

gunsandgunsmithing The best tuners and wind flags on the market Gold $$ Contributor

Just slow down the pour. You should have plenty of room for 33.8 in there. Pour in down the side of the funnel and let it kinda swirl into the case.

7. wkdickinson

wkdickinson Gold $$ Contributor

It often helps to use a funnel with a long (6") drop tube. Tends to "stack" grains more tightly.

Terry, jimmymac and Bc'z like this.
  8. jimmymac

jimmymac Gold $$ Contributor

As previously said, drop tubes are your friend. You should have no problem with the charge you chose without being compressed.

gunsandgunsmithing, Bc'z and Terry like this.
  9. jimmymac

I routinely run 34.5 to 34.7 of 4198 without being compressed.

10. jimmymac

Here is a 10” tube and funnel from Benchrite. It works great.

96791D8F-DC4B-4D51-851C-3FD5E0A4F10A.jpeg

11. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd Gold $$ Contributor

Now we know what triggered the earthquake in Boise. ;)

338 dude and 243winxb like this.
  12. rayporter

rayporter Silver $$ Contributor

pour slow and completely stop pouring 3 times to let it settle.

13. gunsandgunsmithing

gunsandgunsmithing The best tuners and wind flags on the market Gold $$ Contributor

Stupid question probably...Are you using Hodgdon H4198 or the old IMR stuff?

I surprised you're having ANY trouble at all with H4198..so, I'm just asking.

338 dude, sqrlgtr, RGRobinett and 2 others like this.
  14. sqrlgtr

sqrlgtr Silver $$ Contributor

I'm with jimmymac no problems with those charge wieghts being compressed,close to it but no compression.

jimmymac likes this.
  15. gravelyctry

gravelyctry Gold $$ Contributor

I use a battery powered toothbrush without the head on it. I put my finger on top of the case and touch the toothbrushes shaft to the case. The vibration settles the powder quickly.

Steve Ladino and 338 dude like this.
  16. geo.ulrich

geo.ulrich beware of owner Gold $$ Contributor

I believe he is fire forming , cases are not blown out yet ....

338 dude, jimmymac and 243winxb like this.
  17. JEFFPPC

JEFFPPC Silver $$ Contributor

If you all would read what Randy Robinett has written on the 30 BR he recommends powder crush for the best accuracy. It's on this forum. SURPRISE

338 dude likes this.
  18. jimmymac

Got a link on that whole powder crush thing? I found this one that discusses "slightly compressed" and agree.

http://forum.accurateshooter.com/threads/30br-seating.3986092/#post-37567835

IMO, there is a lot of difference between slightly compressed and crush. The former is easy to deal with. The latter can be a pain in the butt as you jump through hoops trying to make sure you have enough neck tension so the bullets don't back out. I've had to remove shims from my seater die to achieve my normal seating depth with heavily compressed charges. Then I had to double check them at the range to verify they didn't move. No thanks.

The trick (at least for me) is to have a good assortment of drop tubes in different lengths to achieve a case fill that results in the base of the bullet kissing the top of the powder column, or a slight compression as discussed in the link above. For any given charge, you will get a different amount of case fill based upon the drop tube you select. A 4" tube may yield a case fill even with the top of the neck, while a 8" tube may provide a case fill that is half way down the neck. Same charge, different fill with bullet seating being easy or hard to deal with. Take your pick.

I'm a hack, so take the above for what it's worth.

338 dude and sqrlgtr like this.
  19. johara1

johara1

hole diameter in the drop tube means a lot also, I even made delrin connectors to combine drop tubes to add length..... LOL.....jim

jimmymac likes this.
  20. JEFFPPC

JEFFPPC Silver $$ Contributor

I agree Jimmymac. There is a limit. I have always shot upper node with the PPC and there can be too much of a good thing. When you open your shell box and no two rounds beside each other look alike......well I have been there. Not a good feeling. What was interesting to me was all the comments from what the OP brought up agreeing but then words of wisdom just the opposite from Mr Robinette. Often we need to do a little research, myself included, before we assume.