Winchester push feed questions for the stock experts

Discussion in 'Gun Project Questions & Gunsmithing' started by Dusty Stevens, Dec 1, 2019.

1. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE- Thread Derail Crew Gold $$ Contributor

I dont build winchesters first off except this one which is sentimental for a guy. I got an hs precision stock, its inletted for 2 piece bottom metal and the action is drilled for 3 screws (blind mag originally) so i buy a 2 piece bottom metal from a member here and when screwed into the action its way short of latching. What do i need to buy to fix this? 8D2E4E91-3D80-4DA7-A704-6E316134E1C9.jpeg

2. Papa Charlie

Papa Charlie Gold $$ Contributor

Body puddy? It appears that the bottom metal assembly is shorter.

3. Dusty Stevens

Yes it is shorter.

4. kendog

kendog

Push feed M70's came in two lengths. Standard and short. Looks like you might have the short action bottom metal. What is the dimension of your plate w/hinge from center of hole to the latch area? I will check my standard length one.
    Here s a link to some info that may clear some things up. https://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgwi/prod/U353150340

5. clowdis

clowdis

Can't tell much from the top view but can you use the pillars to stand the bottom metal away from the action far enough to allow it to close?

6. gunsandgunsmithing

gunsandgunsmithing The best tuners and wind flags on the market Gold $$ Contributor

Are you sure the stock isn't inlet for 1 pc metal? Looks like it.

AckleymanII and kendog like this.
  7. SBLH10

SBLH10

Wouldn't the action screw hole's have to be closer together to make that work?

8. Dusty Stevens

No it only comes inletted for 2pc. One piece has a ridge inside for the frame of the bottom metal to sit in

9. Dusty Stevens

It closes fine. The button that latches the floorplate is way too far away- thats the issue here

10. Dusty Stevens

ECA86D1B-85C6-4485-AFBD-99D2836A3920.png

11. Trophied

Trophied Gold $$ Contributor

I have a one piece (not an Oberndorf style) in the white 7-1/16" C/C that will accept a magazine box that is no longer than 3-3/16" that I have no use for. I think this is a Williams part from long ago. If that is what you end up needing let me know.

Dusty Stevens likes this.
  12. Trophied

Trophied Gold $$ Contributor

Just saw your latest post after I posted so, "never mind".

13. gunsandgunsmithing

gunsandgunsmithing The best tuners and wind flags on the market Gold $$ Contributor

Ok...I think I see the problem. Any chance you have pre 64 bottom metal there, err mismatched set rather? I have a pre and post set here. The rear half on a pre is narrower than the post and is also narrower at the back end of the floor plate door, like yours...doesn't match well to the trigger guard. It also has the same style hinge, where the post 64 looks a little different. Unfortunately, what I have is pre 64 std length ans post 64 short but I believe the areas I've mentioned are relevant to your predicament. I wish I could be more certain but I think you have a mismatched set of bottom metal. Numrich shows to have the long action post 64 front half in stock, fwiw.
    https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/286160A

Bc'z likes this.
  14. gunsandgunsmithing

Also, there are some small differences inside. Can you post a pic with the floor plate open?

15. Danny1788

Danny1788

That’s why I went to 1 piece when I build M70’s order the correct stock and one piece bottom metal makes life so much easier.

gunsandgunsmithing likes this.
  16. Dusty Stevens

Thats what i would do too if they offered it

17. Dusty Stevens

The only real issue is that its short. And yes im sure its a pre64 plate and post trigger guard. You can tell the difference- the plate looks like it was made with a grinder and the trigger guard is aluminum. Mismatched set but i cant just go ordering another plate without knowing what the issue really is. Theyre pretty high for whatever reason and i dont need 2 wrong ones for sure

18. gunsandgunsmithing

Well...I wish I had a std LA m70 bottom metal set to measure up for ya but I don't. So I guess I've been all the help I can be here. You should try inletting and fitting a pre64 action and bottom metal to a sa late model stock sometime. It's not too bad but ya better think and measure twice before ya cut.
    I'm not telling ya what to do but you stated that you are knowingly mismatching parts and expecting them to fit. HS clearly states what you need to order.

19. Daveinjax

Daveinjax Silver $$ Contributor

I’ll be home in an hour and I’ll measure one of mine.

Bc'z and gunsandgunsmithing like this.
  20. Dusty Stevens

Not exactly. I bought a 2 piece bottom metal for a stock inletted for 2 piece bottom metal. Not being a winchester guy i had no idea there was different long action 2 piece floorplates and took what a guy offered to me. Not wanting to get another $75+ useless part i asked on here what part of my setup was wrong so i could get the correct one.