Wilson inside case neck reamer

Discussion in 'Reloading Forum (All Calibers)' started by paulT, Mar 25, 2019.

1. paulT

paulT

Does fired brass necks have to be sized then expanded back out before using a Wilson inside neck case reamer as i tried using this reamer on fired brass which removed a small amount of brass from small portion inside the necks without sizing and using expander mandral and have ended up increasing runnout from 1-1.5 thou to 3-4 thou rounout on Loaded Rounds thanks for Replies.

2. SPJ

SPJ Silver $$ Contributor

What does Wilson recommend

PatMiles likes this.
  3. paulT

paulT

Both reaming fired unsized and sized brass is mentioned in the paperwork which comes with the Neck Reamer.

SPJ likes this.
  4. BenPerfected

BenPerfected Gold $$ Contributor

My attempt a few years ago to try & use an inside neck reamer was a disaster. Today, my process is to full length resize and then use a expander mandrel to get consistent neck tension. This assumes your neck thickness and annealing processes are both consistent.
    Ben

Last edited: Mar 26, 2019
    PatMiles likes this.
  5. paulT

paulT

Thanks for reply Ben.

6. boltfluter

boltfluter Gold $$ Contributor

Just curious why you are inside neck reaming in the first place? Looking forward to your answer.:D:D

Paul

7. paulT

paulT

Hi paul, Purpose of using the neck reamer is to see if i can reduce current 1 -2 thou runout a little more my process is to neck turn my new .308 palma brass turning to remove high spots and a little more i also size necks with a wilson bushing die i do not use an expander before bullet seating then after firing and cleaning brass i used the neck reamer to remove any brass that had flowed to the inside of the necks so as to try and keep neck tension more uniform however as previously mentioned this process has increased ruunout to almost double.

boltfluter likes this.
  8. rwj

rwj Silver $$ Contributor

It’s very difficult to improve concentricity/runout via machining operations unless the workpiece is held the same way (rotates about the same axis) as in the measuring equipment...