Wilson 6ppc seater die questions

Discussion in '6mm, 6.5mm, and .25 Cal (Not 6BR)' started by bichettereds, Dec 17, 2019.

1. bichettereds

bichettereds Gold $$ Contributor

I've got a few questions regarding the Wilson seater dies for the 6ppc.

1. Will a .268nk fit?
    2. Have you found that the micrometer top dies create more runout than the standard type?
    3. Are there any advantages to having a blank chambered with your reamer? Disadvantages (other than cost)?

Thanks

2. Peterson1

Peterson1 Gold $$ Contributor

I have 3 Wilson seater dies and 2 guns/barrels with .268 chambers
    My loaded round is .265
    All 3 seater dies work with above
    This is for a 6 ppc

I have no opinion on questions 2/3

I am happy with the Wilson seater dies with the micrometer top.
    Sinclair has an improved version of the micrometer top that is adjustable in the 0.0005
    It is my favorite and worth the extra $$
    CLP

3. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE- Thread Derail Crew Gold $$ Contributor

Ream a blank if youre going as far as getting into a ppc

dgeesaman likes this.
  4. johara1

johara1

I'll second that^^, Can't beat using your chamber reamer to make the die. A one size fits all isn't the greatest set up, when you are striving for the best..... jim

5. bichettereds

I did. Now I’m changing reamers and I don’t know that having one chambered with my reamer translated to less runout or more consistent seating depths since I don’t own a factory chambered die. That’s what question #2 was for. Looking for someone who has empirical data to support that it is worth the added cost or time. Or maybe some possible cons that you might run into with a custom chambered die (cases sticking if you have a chamber cut a little big?). I’d just like to hear someone with experiences owning both.

6. Dusty Stevens

Its all in how much different your new reamer is from the old one. They will most likely be close enough to polish if its tight. They will always be better than the universal ppc-usa reamer wilson uses but your runout doesnt come from the seater anyway so as long as it fits and is smooth itll be good. I have one that was the off the shelf ppc seater and it had to be reamed a bit to work. Most use a newlon threaded blank reamed with your reamer now. I guess its just the decision on how nice you want it to be- if it worked before your old one will most likely work now even if it needs a lil bit of help

7. bichettereds

I’m changing neck diameters so I’m just going to get a new die. The 268nk will not fit in my 262nk die. Like most of the guys i shoot with, I prefer the feel of an harbor press and Wilson type die. If I can get the same results without paying a smith to have one cut with my reamer I’d like to go that route.

8. Dusty Stevens

You could use a neck reamer on it. Theyre not hard so you could do it by hand. You could also use that to open up an old barrel for fireforming