Why not a 6 Dasher for 100/200yd Benchrest ?

Discussion in '6BR, 6BR Improved & Wildcats' started by albarnhart, Feb 22, 2020.

1. albarnhart

albarnhart Gold $$ Contributor

Wondering why I never see anything but 6PPC in short-range BR? I will be building a new BR rifle and would really like to give it a go with something other than the norm.

LRTom and Mulligan like this.
  2. Poor Shot 65

Poor Shot 65 Silver $$ Contributor

what about 30BR ...

BenPerfected likes this.
  3. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE- Thread Derail Crew Gold $$ Contributor

Try a grendel/lbc if you like to step out. A sharp shouldered case such as the dasher will never agg with a ppc- 99% of the time it wont even group with it.

LA50SHOOTER and dogdude like this.
  4. BartsBullets

BartsBullets Gold $$ Contributor

Grinch, Grendel, 30BR!

Good Luck!
    Bart

5. rsmithsr50

rsmithsr50

lol too much gun is the simple answer.
    most 6 dashers are close to 17 lbs...lite gun in 600/1000 hr.
    30 br is shot at 100/200, mainly score but some group.
    6br is shot at 100/200/600 but not in the same gun

6. Jet

Jet Gold $$ Contributor

I would think the recoil on the lighter rifles might cause some problems. Also, Dashers erode throats fast so they likely would be harder to tune.

7. rsmithsr50

rsmithsr50

just not true

8. DCRYDER

DCRYDER Silver $$ Contributor

22ppc-.100”

ebb and geo.ulrich like this.
  9. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE- Thread Derail Crew Gold $$ Contributor

Can you shoot it in all the classes? Its like having a hv rifle and missing out on alot of shooting.

10. DCRYDER

DCRYDER Silver $$ Contributor

Do you need a HV to shoot a 22-.100” and 50 grain bullet? If so maybe you need to start shooting a Daisy.

11. BoydAllen

BoydAllen

Unless I missed something, the object of shooting short range benchrest matches is to win them. If you think that the people who are are shooting PPCs because they lack the imagination to consider alternatives I respectfully suggest that you rethink your position. They come to win, with the best equipment that they can find. While many are on a budget, some are not. With all of their experience, if they thought that another cartridge would give them an edge, they would be shooting it. Over the years, there has been a lot of experimentation. The net result is that for IBS or NBRSA score, build a .30 BR. For short range group, build a 6PPC. If you want to shoot something different, good luck. I wish you well, but chances are, at least in group, you will be decreasing your chance of winning. On the other hand it is your hobby, and if that makes you happy, be happy, and if your success makes a liar of me, I will be smiling when I read about it.

ledward, dbduff, Danley and 24 others like this.
  12. SPJ

SPJ Whoops !! Gold $$ Contributor

This IMO is mostly nonsense

13. rafale

rafale

Totally agree with you . I was shooting a lot of wildcats but the 6PPC is hard to beat for the short range group . Even I consider the 6BR better that
    the 6 Dasher , this is of course just my opinion.;)

Michel

Last edited: Feb 23, 2020
  14. X-47B

X-47B X-III:XVI Gold $$ Contributor

Ok. Here is the opportunity to ask my stupid question for the day. Why is the 30 Stewart not more popular for score or group. Bigger diameter bullet for score and world record for smallest group.

15. JEFFPPC

JEFFPPC Silver $$ Contributor

Mr Allen, I agree with you. Some people , myself included, like to compete. We look at what the winners use and gravitate towards the tried and true while trying to improve our bench manors and win reading skills. Others find all these things less then appealing so they stay on the side lines in most cases playing with trying to find an edge with some undiscovered magic cartridge. I confess, when they do and prove it in competition numerous times I will become a convert. But until that time I will stick with what wins. Is one groups superior to the other? No, just different ideas and ways we enjoy the shooting sports.But if you like to compete and go against the flow be willing to take your scars in stride.

Webster likes this.
  16. BoydAllen

BoydAllen

I forgot to mention one other thing, the cost of experimenting. Let us assume that your gunsmith does not have a reamer for the cartridge that you want to try. You will have the cost of a barrel, the reamer, the cost of chambering the barrel, dies, perhaps bullets, and powders, brass, and additional tooling for turning necks,if the caliber is new to you. All of this may add up to over a thousand dollars, with no guarantee of a gain in performance. Also, it should be remembered that the universal rifle for group would weigh slightly under 10.5 #, while the typical score rifle is allowed an additional three pounds. I mention this because heavier bullets and larger powder charges will result in a proportionate increase in recoil, which increases the chance that over the course of a twenty match two day competition, that the shooter may react in a way that is detrimental to his average group size. Finally, is should be remembered that it is not the smallest group that wins, but the smallest average of all groups, which of course favors consistency.

17. North Fork

North Fork

Just build a 6ppc and a 30 br and go have fun shooting them

johnmyers and jimmymac like this.
  18. Mulligan

Mulligan Gold $$ Contributor

I suspect a 22 Waldog could also be included in this list of competitive alternatives to the 6PPC, although I have been to darn few SRBR match’s, I have seen some Waldogs bring it. With over 99% of the good folks competing in group shooting a 6PPC, we may never really know which mouse trap is better. The triple deuce was once the king......
    CW

dmoran and gunsandgunsmithing like this.
  19. albarnhart

albarnhart Gold $$ Contributor

When the barrel manufactures lists a barrel as light varmint can I assume that it will meet the IBS/NBRSA rules for contour?

20. BartsBullets

BartsBullets Gold $$ Contributor

I started to add the 22Walldog! It could definitely go on the list!

Bart

Mulligan likes this.