why go out to the range these days...

Discussion in 'Main Message Board' started by IdahoSharpshooter, Mar 20, 2020.

1. carlsbad

carlsbad Lions don't lose sleep over the opinions of sheep. Gold $$ Contributor

I don't have much cheap practice ammo. I probably should burn more cheap 9mm and 45mm but I enjoy long distance rifle more. This will have to last a long time for me to run out of components. I haven't bought loaded ammo for a long long time. But I will keep developing loads for my new rifle and will have more new rifles if free time expands.

I did get caught low on powder and a few weights of bullets but Powder Valley and Blue Collar Reloading helped me get fully stocked. Also got some NN160 from US Lapua that I'm going to try.

so far my day job hasn't slowed down and has actually been busier as I'm on endless management calls to make COVID19 decisions. But if things keep shutting down eventually I'll have more time. And do have access to a private range.

--Jerry

GotRDid likes this.
  2. Steve Ladino

Steve Ladino Silver $$ Contributor

Is that a new Henry or maybe an import ? Pedersolli ? Nice looking rifle.

GotRDid likes this.
  3. Dub

Dub NRA Life member Gold $$ Contributor

Looks like a Uberti 1873 to me

IdahoSharpshooter and GotRDid like this.
  4. rsmithsr50

rsmithsr50

just to follow up...
    BEN AVERY SGHOOTING FACILITY LIED
    during the day they posted new rules, range open, but only 2 to a bench.
    then AFTER THAY CLOSED LAST NIGHT they closed the range period.
    this is a large( over 2000 very open acres) facility. there is not group nor gathering, it is spread out. 76 benches on the public 100/200 yd line. spread them out use every other bench
    so no I did not get to sight in my new scope.
    IMHO no reason to close the entire facility.
    essentially no signage it was closed till you were there.

5. Terry

Terry Gold $$ Contributor

3 ranges within 20 minutes, all open, and I have work to do. Working on my 37XC, .338 Edge, and 7 Saum. All I need is time.

GotRDid and INTJ like this.
  6. jmcmath

jmcmath

Very glad I joined a private club, went a few times this week and never had an issue with personal space.

GotRDid and Terry like this.
  7. SGK

SGK Silver $$ Contributor

My range is a private club. It is closed as per Miami-Dade County directive. I'm not at all surprised.

8. riflewoman

riflewoman Gold $$ Contributor

2E6E2334-79DE-4CCE-8DF0-7673AFA8219A.jpeg
    I have a few rounds I could burn.

9. GotRDid

GotRDid Silver $$ Contributor

That's a pretty good start.
    GotRDid.

MikeT49, Idaho-Lefty and Dgd6mm like this.
  10. hoz53

hoz53 Gold $$ Contributor

seriously I think the virus could stay alive for quite awhile on the benches, door knobs. ect ect so i really wouldnt want to shoot off the benches or touch much--id probably just shoot some offhand and stay away from people. So youre right there are plenty of ways the virus could be spread at a range just like anywhere else.

11. velocette

velocette Silver $$ Contributor

Why go to the range? Well thats an easy answer. the aroma of gunsmoke is an excellent antidepressant.
    Listen to the radio on the way to the range & the doom & gloom are everywhere. After arrival, a few deep breaths of burnt 4895 smoke will raise your spirits. A firm shove at your shoulder followed by a nice "clang" or "thwack" etc puts the joy of life in your soul. Your shoot'n buddy next to you claims he shot 10 Xs in a row makes you feel good.
    A fellow shooter wanders by and tells you that the rifle you spent a year building with spectacular wood is the most beautiful rifle he's eve seen will lift even Lucifers spirits.
    And when you're done and have collected all your brass, you know you have a few hours of happy work reloading all that brass so you can smell the gunsmoke again next time.
    THAT'S WHY!

12. coldboreshot

coldboreshot

I thought about looking into setting up steel targets along the trail where I mountain bike but that would not go over well with the establishment. I figured, two birds one stone...?

13. Lefty Trigger

Lefty Trigger Gold $$ Contributor

The trend around me is the guys are shooting air rifles in their basements with only 30ft needed for targets. I may consider doing this just to keep shooting, our local club ranges are open but the weather sucks!

GotRDid likes this.
  14. DJSBRS

DJSBRS Site $$ Sponsor

You haven't got to the point in life where you can spend all day at the range with some buddies and maybe shoot 6 to 10 rounds all day, appreciate the camaraderie and feel you have not wasted your time. Just pull up to the bench, spray some watered down Clorox in a bottle, let dry and enjoy the day that you have awakened to as there is no guarantee for tomorrow.

DJ

Mark W, jackson1, Intheshop and 7 others like this.
  15. pirate ammo

pirate ammo Guaranteed to take the wind out of their sails Gold $$ Contributor

^^^^^^ 100% correct.

16. Dub

Dub NRA Life member Gold $$ Contributor

Looks like we are getting a shelter in place order tonight for 2 weeks. Was planning a trip to our private range tomorrow....

17. Shooter13

Shooter13 Gold $$ Contributor

Isn't that a necessity? Going to the range that is. ;-)

MikeT49 and Dub like this.
  18. Idaho-Lefty

Idaho-Lefty

I went out yesterday with, my new to me, ( older model ) Ruger 10/22, S/ Stl. 22" barrel glass bedded Wood stock, Volquartsen Hammer and Parts, 2x7 scope and tested some Bulk .22 LR ( Fed Auto Match shot AWESOME ! ) and then, sighted it in with, CCI mini Mag HP's as they shot well, too. After that,.. I walked around, the Desert a bit, shootin' Sage Rats ! OMG,.. My outlook on "Life" improved,.. 100 % ! I plan on shooting, a little Rim Fire, at least,.. every week, now ! The Sun and Wind feels,.. GREAT and, the sound of the "kerplunk" of, the bullets on, the Rats,.. pretty NICE, too ! Stay SAFE you all and good Luck !

Dgd6mm likes this.
  19. Idaho-Lefty

Idaho-Lefty

BEST reason ! No such thing as, a "bad Day" shooting or, Fishing !

20. kelbro

kelbro

Glad that my range is in my back yard.

Idaho-Lefty and Dgd6mm like this.