Which gun for a beginner?

Discussion in 'Main Message Board' started by Dave G, Oct 21, 2019.

1. Dave G

Dave G

I just recently got started in long range rifle shooting. I currently have a few rifles that I enjoy shooting but want to get my first precision chassis gun. I have a budget of around 1300 and want a rifle in 6.5 creedmoor. Here are the rifles I am looking at, Ruger Precision, Savage 10 BA Stealth, Remington 700 Magpul, TC performance center LRR, Howa Bravo and HCR. Also would consider some non chassis rifles like the Bergara B14 HMR because of the adjustability of the stock and already has a threaded barrel. Tell me what yall think or if there are any I am leaving off, and thanks for the help!

GSS likes this.
  2. leclairk

leclairk Silver $$ Contributor

I’ve been really happy with my Savage Model 10 GRS. Tikka should be on your list.

338 dude, damoncali and Dgd6mm like this.
  3. Rsadams

Rsadams

A Savage or RPR with a good after market barrel would be great and keep you around your budget....

4. garandman

garandman Bolt Gun Bodacious Gold $$ Contributor

Look at KRG chassis.

5. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE- Thread Derail Crew Gold $$ Contributor

Id go with the remington. Way too easy to upgrade it with good stuff.

338 dude, WyleWD, waltkrafft and 5 others like this.
  6. Dgd6mm

Dgd6mm Silver $$ Contributor

I bought a whole rifle off of here 3-4 months ago for $1625.00. Bighorn Origin action, x caliber 6br barrel threaded for a brake 840 rounds down it, 20 moa base, trigger tech diamond, KRG Bravo chassis. It also came with a unused action wrench a few other little extras. Check the classifieds here and snipers hide. You may find something that is steps above factory. I'm not a factory snob, I shoot quite a few Savage action built rifles, but deals can be had.

Pres100 likes this.
  7. Dave G

Dave G

So what I am gathering is regardless of which "budget" rifle I get the first upgrade needs to be a barrel?

338 dude likes this.
  8. Dgd6mm

Dgd6mm Silver $$ Contributor

That's strictly up to you Dave. Shoot the factory first and see what it is capable of. I have never had a Savage factory barrel that did not shoot 1 moa or less.

300_whisper likes this.
  9. Pres100

Pres100

Don’t replace the barrel without trying it out. My RPR out of the box has been exceptional at distance. I’ve heard a lot of similar success stories with other factory barrels as well. No need to start replacing and upgrading out of the gate - if that were necessary, might as well start with something custom.
    I would also second the hunt for a bargain custom in the classifieds as well.

Steve Donlon likes this.
  10. Delfuego

Delfuego Silver $$ Contributor

Build (or buy) a Bighorn Origin ;) It will last and get better over time
    Don't waste any money on upgrading an RPR, you will never recoup

steve123 and mike a like this.
  11. Hydenseek

Hydenseek Silver $$ Contributor

I’d do a little lurking and hunting on here first.

Bighorn origin is a quality option too.

12. littlebuddybr

littlebuddybr Gold $$ Contributor

I agree with dusty.

Or the RPR. It is quite a bit of gun for the money. And I have seen a lot of them shoot really well.
    No offense but I have seen a lot of people not be able shoot as good as a lot of factory guns.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2019
    DennisH likes this.
  13. mike a

mike a 6BR Rocks Gold $$ Contributor

I've had rems, rugers, savage, and one really good mod70 and now I have none of them. Now I have two custom rifles. I had to save and save to get there and I'll never ever go back! Mike

JSH likes this.
  14. 6MMsteve

6MMsteve Gold $$ Contributor

this ^^^^^^^^^^^^

WyleWD likes this.
  15. GSS

GSS

I need to locate a well written article on this very question to help new shooters at my club that want to get set up to attend matches on our 600 yard range.

I am primarily a service rifle shooter and have helped many new shooters buy, build and shoot service rifles over the years but when it comes to prone and all the flavors and options between Sling Any/Any, FTR, F Open etc it quickly starts to become overwhelming what to recommend for a rifle.

I'll have to poke around here and look for the latest up to date articles
    http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2016/02/getting-started-in-f-class-competition-f-tr-and-f-open/

16. brxbrad

brxbrad

Can't go wrong with this...If I wasn't going to Hawaii this Dec-Jan I would have already hit the buy now button...It's a .308 but..

https://www.ganderoutdoors.com/ruger-precision-rifle-210975.html

$ 550 to add a 6.5 Creedmore Kreiger Precision Barrel. You'll have a 308 hunting and a 6.5 Competition rifle. My son has the 6.5 and shot a 195 at 600 out of the box. The 308 shoots just as well.

17. GSS

GSS

On the Ruger PRS rifles are the "Muzzle Brakes" threaded so they can be removed?

Most ranges where one would shoot in 3 x 600 NRA Prone Matches don't allow Muzzle brakes.

18. Jackal2016

Jackal2016

The Ruger barrels are threaded and the brake can be easily removed is desired. They even come with a thread protector to install after removal of muzzle device.

Dgd6mm and GSS like this.
  19. slm9s

slm9s Gold $$ Contributor

Buy a used custom rifle. Better value than a factory rifle that you'll just want to upgrade later.

WyleWD and Delfuego like this.
  20. balloonpilot9513

balloonpilot9513 Silver $$ Contributor

Tikka Tac A1, no need to get a new barrel.
    I have not seen a Tikka that did not shoot right out of the box. I know, there is probably one but I haven't seen it!

My buddy is using it for 6ooyd bench rest and has a number of plaques to show his success with it with NO modifications.

clunker, joshb, Dgd6mm and 1 other person like this.