Which Barrel

Discussion in 'Small Stuff--22s, 20s, and 17s' started by Poconolg, Mar 29, 2020.

1. Poconolg

Poconolg

I shoot a Rem700 in 22-250 1 in 14 twist with a Jewel trigger and currently a Lilja 26" barrel 1 1/8 in diameter. It will soon be time for a new barrel because barrels only last me about 2500 rds. I shoot 5 shot groups at 100 yds and almost all of them are under 1/2" I have shot 16 sub 1/4" groups in the last 2 years. I shoot almost every other week 8 5 shot groups . This is my second Lilja barrel and I was wonder about opinions on other barrels. I am considering Hart, Krieger, or Bartlein. Any opinions would be appreciated.

2. Mark W

Mark W Silver $$ Contributor

I don’t think you can go wrong with any of the barrels that you mentioned. All of the top tier barrels can shoot. I usually go with the one that I can get first that matches the specs that I need.

3. K9TXS

K9TXS

I've used Krieger and Shilen, mostly Shileen. Excellent results with both, no complaints. I had 2 rifles rebarreled last year by Pac Nor before the big fire. Both rifle very accurate. I understand Pac Nor is rebuilding.

I would use any of the three again.

Zero333 likes this.
  4. 284winner

284winner Gold $$ Contributor

As said all and others are top tier barrels. Personally I'd contact Frank Green(Bartlein Barrels) here on this forum and tell him what your looking for. He'll give suggestions. Depending on twist rate, being a fast .224 round, bullet weight will be a big factor. Fast twist barrels tend to cause bullet failure but I think he could steer you in the right direction to avoid that issue if you decided on a fast barrel. Bartlein makes great barrels as do many other companies. It's just an advantage having a barrel maker here on the forum to make contact with pretty easily.

Zero333, B23 and Mark W like this.
  5. K22

K22

I've had consider success with Douglas match barrels in the 223 Rem caliber.

6. Ironworker

Ironworker Silver $$ Contributor

Go cut rifled barrels . Read reports of barrels having 20% longer barrel life.

7. B23

B23 Gold $$ Contributor

As was already mentioned, any of the top tier premium barrel companies, of which there is probably no less than ten, will serve you well. The barrels I have the most of are Hart, Krieger, Proof, and Lilja. I also have Brux, Broughton, and Shilen. As of current, I've never had a Bartlein barrel but I would have zero concern using one of their barrels and I think they are absolutely every bit as good as any I've mentioned. My dad used Douglas barrels for years and they always shot very well too.

I don't know that there is any technically proven data that shows this but I know many smiths that prefer Lilja and PacNor barrels when building anything .17 caliber.

Generally, gunsmiths have certain barrel companies they favor a little more than others, but usually will have no problem using any of the premium barrel companies barrels if that's what the customer prefers.

To say there is any one barrel that is "the best" would simply be untrue, but rather there is easily 8-10 that are considered the best.

WyleWD, JSH and Mark W like this.
  8. WyleWD

WyleWD Silver $$ Contributor

Looks like you got good service and decent accuracy from the 2 Lilja barrels you had. So, You've had Lilja that served you well, and are considering Hart, Krieger, and Bartlein…….. just add Douglas and Shilen to that list and you're pretty much looking at 6 of the "as good as it gets" list. JME. WD

9. searcher

searcher Gold $$ Contributor

In short - I'd get the one "in stock", I have many of the barrels you are looking at and all shoot as good or better than what you said you have been getting. Then again - so do my Shilens.

Zero333 likes this.
  10. Sniper338

Sniper338

I shoot alot of Brux barrels, got kreigers and bartleins too. Those are my three I stick with. No need to venture out.

Idaho-Lefty likes this.
  11. 1raggedhole

1raggedhole Silver $$ Contributor

I’ve been very happy with my Criterion prefit. You can even get one of those Remage prefits if you don’t mind the nut.

Zero333 likes this.
  12. Hammerdown75

Hammerdown75

Have experience with 3, hawk hill,Krieger and hart. Hart is most accurate of the 3 with Krieger close second. Also a friend has a hart in 20 tactical that has shot one holers regularly!