Where all all the shooters???

Discussion in 'Competition Forum (All Calibers)' started by JEFFPPC, Jan 27, 2020.

1. Greyfox

Greyfox Gold $$ Contributor

If you are close enough to shoot at Rock Castle and Knob Creek then you are within easy driving distance of several UBR matches which will begin in March. These would include Buck Creek (Somerset), BGSL (Wilmore), Boyle County (Danville) and Dry Branch (Lafayette TN). THis is not PRC, but won't require much dexterity and most of the shooters are around your age or older. We typically shoot two yardages in a match and some ranges (Dry Branch) shoot both yards and meters and compete at 300). I can't speak for any range other than Dry Branch, but we do provide a rifle, ammo and all you need for your first match for no charge other than the day's match fees ($30).

Also, as has been mentioned UBR has a workable Factory and Modified Class. We are beginning our 10th season and have found the Factory Class rules are both fair and no problem to oversee. As Mike pointed out, several of us have found Modified Class to be the most affordable to both compete and win. It is not unusal for tne Modified winner in a match to shoot a better score than both Custom and Unlimited. I have two rifles that have both won in SSOY and one has set a record in Unlimited. I bought both of these rifles initially for $400 each. Of course, they have been rebarreled since then and I have more $$ in them. I will also point out that if an individual is prudent and does his shopping he can get in this game for a reasonable sum and should he choose to get out after a time his investment can usually be recovered less the amount for possibly a barrel replacement.

One more thought. You mention becoming able to compete. The best and probably quickest way to become competitive is to compete. Don't be concerned about where you will place in your first few matches. Compete with yourself and just show up and shoot. You will get better and you will learn things you can't learn shooting alone.

Rick

2. Shooter13

Shooter13 Gold $$ Contributor

All good points Rick! And he will actually enjoy talking with all us old farts

gunsandgunsmithing likes this.
  3. Old Tanker

Old Tanker

Thanks Rick. Do these ranges have web or FB pages? I don’t have a BR rifle but I do have a poor man’s entry level precision rifle. An RPR in 6.5 CM. It holds between .4 and .75 at 100 and 1.5-2 at 300. I also have a Rem 700 Tactical in .223. I put an Oryx chassis on it. Only a 1-9 twist, so I shoot mainly 60 gr bullets. My hunting rifle is a .308 Tika T3 Lite. I use that when I go back home to the Rockies on hunting trips. Only a 19.5” barrel. I used to shoot service rifle but no longer have the NM AR.

4. Greyfox

Greyfox Gold $$ Contributor

Sent you a PM.

Rick

Old Tanker likes this.
  5. Stan Taylor

Stan Taylor Gold $$ Contributor

Well I am going to give the boys in GBA hunter tactical a good chance to whip up on me in the upcoming matches this spring.ATTACH=full]1155176[/ATTACH]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 31, 2020
    hpshooter likes this.
  6. whatwind?

whatwind? Silver $$ Contributor

Location location

if I could get to a range in 5-30 minutes instead of 1-2 hours i would shoot more and others as well I’m sure

the issue with the sport is getting a range of distance closer to the population

daleboy, Iowa Fox and Stan Taylor like this.
  7. Stan Taylor

Stan Taylor Gold $$ Contributor

Tottaly understand but it takes a lot of money to build a range an keep maintenance on it and most ranges that I have shot at only a handful of the membership take care of the range so we do have a place to shoot and I drive anywhere from an hour and a half to two hours and a half and I would drive 4 hours if I had to.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2020
    Shooter13 and hpshooter like this.
  8. Shooter13

The closest range to me is over an hour BUT I have 3 ranges within 1 hour and 20 minutes and with todays vehicles I don't mind, then there is ol' @Greyfox being over 3 hours away and I love going there to shoot! So looking forward to the 2020 UBR competition, make friends and kick some butt!! Okay, maybe just make friends this is a tough crowd to run with.

dgeesaman and Stan Taylor like this.
  9. Warren Dean

Warren Dean Team Savage F-T/R Silver $$ Contributor

I am NOT picking on you...

That said, the amount of dedication to being competitive is directly proportional to what you are willing to sacrifice to achieve it. Adapt to the situation instead of trying to adapt the situation to your wants.

I have to drive 3-1/2 hours each way to get to a 1K range. 1-2 hours?? I would die a happy man if that was all I had to drive. :)

10. JEFFPPC

JEFFPPC Silver $$ Contributor

You guys need to relocate to Central Pa. With in 45 min of my house There is about a dozen ranges I am aware of, several than run out to 500 yds.. Probably 1 or 2 I don't know about. READE 1000 yd is about 35 min. Williamsport 1000 about 2 hrs and a couple minutes. We can drive less than 2 hours and pretty much shot a match every Sat and every Sunday from April into the middle of Oct. About 2.5 hrs away is Ridgeway Varmint Shiloutte 1000 Yd steel game. So you retired guys pack up bring the missus to a new home. I am lucky this is my home, But about 15 years ago wife and I came close to moving to Idaho were my son lives. Wife and I both love it out there. But, deal killer was no shooting of a competitive nature ,stayed here, glad we did.

Shooter13, Joe Salt and Stan Taylor like this.
  11. whatwind?

whatwind? Silver $$ Contributor

In theory the location would bring enough revenue to co
    the thread is where are the shooters......not how much do you shoot...I was stating the obvious that if the ranges were closer to the mass of people more people would shoot

It’s a balance of time and if it takes a shorter total time to shoot you go more

dgeesaman likes this.
  12. Don_Parsons

Don_Parsons

I head to the mountains and compete agaisnt the 3 of me,,, I,,, Me,,, and my self...

My timing,,, my rules,,, my call on how it goes down...

And I can pace my shots using anyone of my custom rifles at my choosing,,, larger bolders 1 day,,, the full length of the sand stone clay bank the next...

There is no reason for me to pay to shoot + the mileage when i can drive to the largest shooting range in North America and spend the whole weekend or longer shooting form the back door of my contol center,,, Ha...

The pick-up truck tailgate that is...

Life is that simple if we do things on our own,,, I shoot this way and hunt on my own,,, no need for me to join a shooting match when I get to complete agaisnt the 3 of me... lol

dgeesaman and SPQR70AD like this.
  13. SPQR70AD

SPQR70AD

That is how I like it also. I shoot at flat face rock cliffs up to 1000yds away. you can see where you hit with a spotter or sometimes with the scope. no strain trying to shave 1/16 of an inch off a group
    on gun forums if a young guy says I bought a HB savage and a $300 scope to enter a match he is tag teamed and torn to shreds. if he ignores that and goes to a match he sees 10K plus gear a few shooters who think they are god with some grumpy old guys thrown in lol. lets face it the sport is better suited for old guys with time and money

daleboy likes this.
  14. Joe Salt

Joe Salt Silver $$ Contributor

Whatwind You ask were are all the shooters? Well let me tell you this when started shooting 1000 yard in 1971 there were over a hundred shooters just on Sundays, which was at the time H.G. or shoot what you had at the time. Over the years there were good years and bad years as far as attendants. But you know what has really bothered me. Is that I've lost a lot of friends because they have past on. And the number is in the eighty's. But I know if they were still with us they would be still shooting. So for me that is were all the shooters are.

Joe Salt

dgeesaman, Stan Taylor and jimmymac like this.
  15. JEFFPPC

JEFFPPC Silver $$ Contributor

Not trying to pick on you but thats an excuse that can be used for shooting, drag racing, dirt track racing, golf, you name it. I bet most of us started our competiitive shooting with the equipment you described. The question is, do they want to work at it, sacrifice a bit to work up to better equipment, take there lumps while they listen and learn, to me you just gave the excuse that has become popular in society now days.My advise to those with that attitude....Git yourself some big boy britches then hitch em up.

Stan Taylor likes this.
  16. daleboy

daleboy Gold $$ Contributor

Some folks are comfortable in their own skin ,and have nothing to prove .

Stan Taylor and hpshooter like this.
  17. Shooter13

That is not what competitive shooting is to me at all. I am who I am, blue jeans and flannel, work boots or cowboy boots or tennis shoes.

Stan Taylor likes this.
  18. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE- Thread Derail Crew Gold $$ Contributor

And when you meet folks at matches you get better equipment offered to you free or very discounted to see you get better.

19. daleboy

daleboy Gold $$ Contributor

I help people everytime I go to the range . Much of my testing I have to do as the sun is not even showing yet,I seem to be a people magnet . I have one guy that looks for me to drive by and follows me to the range to ask his list of questions . He drove me nuts at first,I just learned to drive by in the dark and have our chat after the important part of my shooting was done...you can set your clock by him,He picks up range brass. I even got him into the last competition of the year,that was pretty cool . He was there volunteering like usual...you could tell he wanted to give it a try . We told him he should ,could have used any rifle on the line . Instead he ran home and got his new .308 RPR,priceless .

Stan Taylor, Mulligan and rwj like this.
  20. SPQR70AD

SPQR70AD

I do not think you picking on me at all. you gave a good reply. The main thing is time and money and like I said older guys fit that better then some young guy getting $10 an hour. price of bullets powder thru the roof along with reloading hardware barrels scopes etc. I am sick of hearing % wise everything is cheaper now then 40 years ago. it is a big pile of bull. unless you got a govt job your pay has not kept up to inflation since the 70's. in order for a young guy to pull up his big boy britches he would have to fill them with money to compete then they would just fall down anyway :D

Last edited: Feb 1, 2020
    CaptainMal, daleboy, JEFFPPC and 2 others like this.