What's your favourite Prairie Dog Scope RETICLE?

Discussion in 'Varminter & Hunting Forum' started by sw282, Jan 14, 2020.

1. urbanrifleman

urbanrifleman Site $$ Sponsor

Like I said, you can turn down to scan the town. Then turn all the way up once you zero a dog. Zoom in and shoot.

You don't have to compromise.

sw282 likes this.
  2. Mark W

Mark W Gold $$ Contributor

I’m happy!! Don’t want to dial or zoom in and out. All I need is a scope with a reference. It works for me.

3. urbanrifleman

urbanrifleman Site $$ Sponsor

You asked.

4. Mark W

Mark W Gold $$ Contributor

I didn’t ask anything....lol. You should read again. I clearly said that I didn’t like ranging and dialing in the prairie dog fields and that I liked the looks of the Leupold VH reticle because I like a scope with reference marks.

Edit: I guess I did ask why I would want to change power settings which I still don’t want to do..lol

5. GrocMax

GrocMax

My only complaint of the Vortex HS LR reticle is its too fine for me at under about 12x in a darker background. But as other's have mentioned even the simple christmas tree FFP's can be used very effectively for small critters. I choose not to sit and shoot one direction and dial, but to vary shooting direction a lot, so no clicking works better.

Mark W likes this.
  6. Prose

Prose Silver $$ Contributor

The weaver varmint ebx reticle is my favorite. Have been doing it about 20 years and it works for either windage or dialing. Mine is the 4-16.

You get a fine reticle, a dot, and a usable tree all in one. Hard to find though.

L.Sherm likes this.
  7. markT

markT

Target dot.
    1/4” or 1/8”. (. Depending on your eye balls)
    A 3/16” is really the best for me but only have 1 scope / rifle with 3/16”
    Leupold can put in pretty much any reticle dot size. If you have a leuplod.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
  8. Rich Lee

Rich Lee

I have 2 luopolds with the vhr in 4by14 and one 6by 20 and I love them and I shoot a lot of p dogs.:p

9. xring

xring Silver $$ Contributor

The vast majority of my shots have been from 100 to about 450 Yards . My favorite Scope for many decades has been a 16X Leupold with a straight Cross-Hair . Whatever the Reticle Width is , it's perfect for my tired old eyes . I shoot off a stand-up homemade Tripod Rest and use Surveyors Tape ( attached to the Tripod ) as a Wind Guide ..... Wind is a big factor at least 75% of the Time out West in my experience . When I get to three Pdog Widths Windage Hold-off ....I go shopping or take pictures . This in conjunction with a Swaro Laser Rangefinder ( many Brands before the Swaro ) is all that I required . For Long Range shooting off a Bench , I like the Sightron MOA-2 , Nightforce NP-R1 , R2 , LV.5 , Leupold VH , Swaro BRH , IOR MP-8 and X1Xtreme , Weaver EBX , and anything similar . I have not tried all of these at Long Range , so I can't say whether the Reticle Widths all suit my eyes . I think I did try a Weaver ( maybe a 6.5-20x ) with Fine Crosshair and very small Dot which is just too thin for my eyes . I do have a Leupold 20X ( yes , Leupold made a few ) which I always wanted to try but just never got around to it .

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
  10. LonewolfMcquade

LonewolfMcquade

I like the Leupold Varmint reticle on my 25-06 & 270wsm. Although i do quite well with the Nikon 800 yrd bdc on my 308 also

11. long40shot

long40shot Silver $$ Contributor

Leupold TMR or Varmint Hunter

Mark W likes this.
  12. Justin B

Justin B Silver $$ Contributor

Leupold Varmint reticle but I also like a first focal plane setup as well with mill or MOA marks

13. KY-Windage

KY-Windage

NF MOAR-T, which is a very fine target reticle. I've never had any trouble seeing it against a dark mound, but if I did I could turn the lights on. I prefer SFP because I hate that ball of twine in the middle of my picture when I am scanning at low power. Out to 300 I leave the turret alone, after that I dial the elevation turret. Windage I just KY it, as it is almost always varying considerably.

The reticle is much easier to see than this photo indicates, but you get the idea:

[​IMG]

14. drover

drover

Fine Duplex for me - I despise clutter in a scope. Most of my shots are in the 150 - 300 yard range, I have no aspirations to be a long range shooter, I use a 223 with 40 gr Nosler BT and the lack of recoil allows me to spot my hits/misses and the lack of clutter allows me to see things better.

drover

Last edited: Jan 15, 2020
    sw282 likes this.
  15. stork

stork Silver $$ Contributor

Jepp2, you have traveled the same path I have. I would agree with your conclusion 100%. I've been using a 6.5-20 Leupold that Premier put a series of dots along the vertical. Been using that for 20+ years and have had good success with it. However, as anyone who has tried long range shooting in ND knows, the wind occasionally comes up and windage dots are a big plus. The pasture rats don't always stay in a nice line & you wind up swiveling around a lot. I tried cranking a single dot for 1 rat foray, not going to go there again.

I looked on the Vortex website & either my searching technique is poor or they no longer make that configuration. So I'll just have to keep on the lookout for a used one.
    Allen

16. jepp2

jepp2 Gold $$ Contributor

17. stork

stork Silver $$ Contributor

Thanks Jepp.

OK, I saw the reticle, after I downloaded the reticle manual. The website had such a poor image I figured it would be like my 8-25 Leo with the varmint reticle. which is fine for short to medium shots, but really lacks for reference points beyond 600. So I went back to my Premier 6.5-20 system & put the 8-25 back in the box in the vault.

I'm going to have to keep an eye on Optics planet for a sale on them. I've got pretty much all Leo's on everything with a Nightforce & Bauch & Lomb thrown in for a bit of variety. What is the difference between the Gen II viper & the HS? I've got 64 yr old eye's & a shooting buddy is really liking the Sightron's for older eye's. I haven't seen any reticle that I've fallen for in their stable that I would like as well as the MOA for pasture rats.

Allen

18. Mr. Ten-X

Mr. Ten-X

Old school...a fine crosshair and a fine dot.