What kind of backstop should I build ?

Discussion in 'Main Message Board' started by zap, Jul 25, 2018.

1. zap

zap Silver $$ Contributor

I am moving to a new residence very soon. We will have 10 acres and I plan to build a shooting range to atleast 200 yards, maybe even get 300 out of it.

I will need to have some kind of backstop built.
    I want to build something relatively cheap, but effective. ( my wife already said ,NO TIRES ).One backstop will probably work, i may just have multiple shooting stations. But maybe one shooting station with a roof would be better, and have a few backstops......??

What do you folks use ??
    Do you wish you did anything different ?
    Please show a few pics of your backstops if you can.
    Thank you,
    Lee

2. Rsadams

Rsadams

Stacked dirt , rent a machine for a day and build them high...

joshb likes this.
  3. hawkeyeshoooer

hawkeyeshoooer

4. joshb

joshb Gold $$ Contributor

The big dirt berm is the cheapest. The way things are going with property sale "inspections", I'd build a little differently. If I were doing it, I'd build a three sided block wall enclosure on a concrete pad and dump a truckload of sand in it. That would make clean up at "time of resale" easier.
    I've always overbuilt things, tho.:D

mikeinct, hpshooter and snert like this.
  5. Rsadams

Rsadams

Maybe overbuilt but will definitely work...lol

Josh is right about inspection , I would pay more , but some people would scream lead contamination..

joshb and mikeinct like this.
  6. 6MMsteve

6MMsteve Gold $$ Contributor

make it sure safe... sand, dirt, make sure you allow for impact erosion it don't take long especially with 30 cal magnums to dig a deeeeeeeep cave. And when you shoot make sure you always shoot low keep your target close to the ground, the lower the better

7. mr45man

mr45man Gold $$ Contributor

I hope that you have like minded neighbors.

8. Matthew Schwartzkopf

Matthew Schwartzkopf

Dirt backstops don't stop all bullets. I would put an eyebrow on the berm to stop bullets from tumbling over the backstop and leaving your property. Or you could build a bullet trap type backstop much like the three side block wall enclosure mentioned above with a roof on it.

Dgd6mm likes this.
  9. Rsadams

Rsadams

People line them inside and around the berm with old trees that need to come down , it's pretty effective...

10. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE- Thread Derail Crew Gold $$ Contributor

Tires stacked up covered with dirt. She’ll never know. Then bulldoze it well before you decide to sell- like it was never there

11. jamesdmock

jamesdmock Gold $$ Contributor

DSCF2008 (2).JPG
    One can build a box and fill it with dirt. Here is mine that consists of 4 landscape timbers set in Sakcrete and the sheets of tin. After ~6 years I have replaced the front with some cheep plywood and political signs. It is filled with dirt and shingles and is about 5'x5'x5'. It is at 100 yards and one may want a larger one at greater distance. View attachment 1058658

Last edited: Jul 26, 2018
    jepp2 likes this.
  12. Riesel

Riesel Gold $$ Contributor

I sent you a PM

13. zap

zap Silver $$ Contributor

Thanks ALL !

14. mikecockcroft

mikecockcroft

One berm then adjust target height so bullets impact berm. A sloped berm will send bullets over the top more often then not. Keep the front of the berm as straight up and down as possible. Requires some upkeep for this or build a straight wall in front with timbers/lumber etc and backfill behind it

15. bullseyeshooter

bullseyeshooter

NO to using TIRES!!!!

Our public range used to have tires in front of the target area and in the impact area. It caused a lot of bullets to ricochet that would land in the neighbors property. On several occasions the property owner's and sheriff would come to the range with bullet in hand. The club redesigned the range with information from the NRA and the results have been postive.

16. NZVarminter

NZVarminter

I've used 44 gallon plastic drum filled with shredded car tyres. we have used these at local Deerstalkers rifle range and they have lasted exceptionally well
    My 100m Home range
    20170923_095806_1.jpg

20170923_095818_1.jpg

Local Deerstalkers Range
    50m target line.jpg

joshb likes this.
  17. ericbc7

ericbc7

Don’t over think it, a pile of dirt of appropriate height is the answer. If residences downrange you will need to pile that dirt high.
    My gun range dug targets down but worked with the sherif. My advice is to talk to law enforcement and demonstrate a willingness to accommodate them (law not neighbors).

18. liljoe

liljoe Silver $$ Contributor

Hey NZ Varminter, what ya got there in the pics? It's hard to see if you have a covered range or what.
    Joe

19. Texas10

Texas10 Gold $$ Contributor

If future lead contamination is a concern, you might want to figure into your design something to contain bullets being ejected out of the berm by succeeding fire. At the range I shoot at, spent pistol and rifle bullets are ejected 15 to 20 yards and litter the adjacent ground. A three sided structure with a removable roof on a concrete slab is an excellent one IMOP.

One range I shot at many years ago had steel deflector plates behind the targets so bullets went down into a bullet trap.

A baffle wall with a small window to shoot through made of RR ties, 5 yds from the bench would help to contain accidental off target discharges that would otherwise go onto adjacent properties.

Of course, the best idea, if you can afford it, is to buy a 300 yard long warehouse nearby :p

20. Charlie-NY

Charlie-NY

Our club had one of the snail like traps welded up. You can slid a 4'x4' piece of plywood into the front channels to hold targets. Easily replaced when needed. Not sure what it costs but it contains everything and has been working for many years.
    Easy to reclaim lead when loaded.