What is the best Decapping Only Tool

Discussion in 'Reloading Forum (All Calibers)' started by rkittine, Apr 8, 2020.

1. JimPag

JimPag Silver $$ Contributor

I've had a Harvey's and a Neil Jones. I prefer the Harvey's.

2. pertnear

pertnear Gold $$ Contributor

3. topclass2017

topclass2017 Gold $$ Contributor

Harvey +1

4. nmkid

nmkid Gold $$ Contributor

I tried most of the handheld ones and they work just fine. However, with crampy, arthritic hands the Might Armory is the cat's meow.

kneedtospeed and Woodchk like this.
  5. Steve morgan

Steve morgan

Rcbs decap die

Intheshop likes this.
  6. Martin52

Martin52

7. rwj

rwj Gold $$ Contributor

A progressive press with a case feeder:D

8. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd Gold $$ Contributor

Another vote for the Harvey. Make sure you get the rod with a decapping pin small enough for the flashholes of small rifle primer brass. I did not get one initially and he sent a new one for free, which was awesome.

Edited to add:
    it appears as though it can be ordered with both Heavy Duty and "Universal Depriming Pin" that works with Lapua SRP brass for $5 extra. Alternatively, you can just order it with the Universal pin only.

Ccrider likes this.
  9. rkittine

rkittine Gold $$ Contributor

Harvey responded immediately and I received a tracking number this morning. I did also buy a RCBS decapping only die, which I can use in any one of my presses while at the bench.

Thanks for everyones input.

Bob

Mark W likes this.
  10. milanuk

milanuk Gold $$ Contributor

I didn't see it mentioned otherwise, but as far as depriming on press, the Mighty Armory dies are pretty sweet. Might be a little more than most people need, or want to spend; as I understand it they are kinda intended for progressive press use ie volume, where stuff coming loose and breaking can be more than slightly inconvenient - which I've had happen with pretty much every other brand of decapping die I've tried. Haven't used the FA die yet, though.

11. rkittine

I ordered it with the two decapping pins for Lapua Brass and not the heavy duty one for crimped primers, which I do not have any in any case.

Ned Ludd likes this.
  12. TrxR

TrxR

Im really thinking about trying one of these Harvey decappers. Just waiting to hear what his shipping cost is to canada and am debating on wether i should order a couple of the heavy duty rods as well ?

Has any tried depriming military primers with one? How hard was it ? i wont be doing them oftem. Mostly be used for my 30br and 308.

13. Howland

Howland

When my brother was setting up for .338LM, he was looking for a universal decapping die. We couldn't tell whether the ones on the shelf could take the case size so he picked up the Frankfort Arsenal.

I asked to try it out. The next day I got one of my own.

14. rkittine

Mine is scheduled to arrive today. I did not order the heavier, non-Lapua brass pins as I do not have any military brass.

Bob