What beam scale are you using?

Discussion in 'Reloading Forum (All Calibers)' started by potatoe, Sep 27, 2015.

1. potatoe

potatoe Silver $$ Contributor

I currently have a 505 and its' leaving a little for desire and would like some input from you guys. I just did a little search and from what I can tell rcbs discontinued 1010? Either way, what are you guys using that works well.

Thanks!

2. M-61

M-61 "Quis Separabit" Gold $$ Contributor

RCBS (Ohaus) 304. Bought it new in the 70's? (60's). Sometimes I see them for sale used (not made for quite some time).
    I used it exclusively until I bought my first electronic scale 2 years ago. Now i use it to check the electronic one since it is unaffected by radio signals , florescent bulbs, cell phones etc.

3. chkunz

chkunz Gold $$ Contributor

Lyman M5 made by Ohaus, I have been using this scale since 1965, that was the year that they dug the river.

4. DHuffman

DHuffman Gold $$ Contributor

I bought a used 10 10 and I'm really liking it so far compared to the Lee Scale that came with my press. I also have a Franklin Arsenal electronic that I bought so I could compare against the lee. I've been using the 1010 since getting it though.

5. BigBlueandGoldie

BigBlueandGoldie

I use a Redding. It seems to be very sensitive and consistent, but it looks a lot slower than a 1010 scale based on videos I've seen on youtube. I also have a digital scale that I use to double check my setup on the beam scale, but I don't use it for measuring loads.

6. R.Morehouse

R.Morehouse Gold $$ Contributor

Give Scott Parker a call for a beam scale. He will set you up better than you can buy off the shelf....

7. potatoe

Do you know his contact info?

8. Toolbreaker

Toolbreaker Gold $$ Contributor

Potatoe,

Scott Parker's number is 661 Three-six-four 1199. I thought I had his email, but can't find it now.

This thread might interest you, also...

http://forum.accurateshooter.com/index.php?topic=3876997.msg36596671#msg36596671

9. Frankinthelaurels

Frankinthelaurels

Funny you should mention the ole' 5-0-5. !! I bought this simple little scale almost 50 years ago an still use it to this day... I've gotten at least two other scales since as presents and they are still in their boxes and wrap, guess they'll be there when I 'm gone. Love that cheap ole' scale and wouldn't trade it for anything... I wonder if they even make it anymore.

10. wboggs

wboggs Gold $$ Contributor

Keep looking for an RCBS 10-10 or Lyman M5. Scott Parker can recondition it for you. You can do much of your work with a good electronic model.

11. loneranger04

loneranger04

I've got a Scott Parker tuned RCBS (made in USA) 1010 and it's very repeatable. These may be a little slower than the newer electronic scales but are unaffected by lighting or power problems. I bought a used RCBS 1010 off of eBay and sent it to Scott however if you give him a call he may have a scale in stock that he can tune and send your way faster than you sending one to him. I think he likes tuning the old Lyman scales better than the RCBS models.

If you have Scott tune one then don't get into a hurry. Scott doesn't hurry but does a great job.

12. jcampbellsmith

jcampbellsmith

What's a beam scale? Regards JCS

13. potatoe

Thanks for the info fellas, I'll give him a call.

Thanks again!

14. zfk55

zfk55

There are 4 or 5 here, but the one I use almost exclusively is a very old and very lonnnng Pacific that Dad's had for at least 40 years. Note the extra threaded area on the end of the beam with the fine adjusting nut weights. I love this old thing.

[​IMG]

15. amlevin

amlevin

For a beam scale I use a 5-0-5 I bought back in the late 70's. Works great with no "tuning" at all.

For checking my scales I prefer to use Check Weights, not other scales. For my day to day loading I use digital scales but the beam scale still sits there on the back of the bench in case the power goes out and the batteries are dead 8) 8)

16. Catgunguy

Catgunguy

I believe this is current for Scott Parker.

SCOTT PARKER
    Bakersfield, CA
    Beam Scale Repair and upgrades: Email at vld223 [at] yahoo.com or call at (661) 364-1199.” He also posts on Accurateshooter.com
    as "sparker"

17. R.Morehouse

R.Morehouse Gold $$ Contributor

Let Scott come up with a scale for you then put his touch on it. The one he came up with for me is an OLD RCBS. It is cast with a low center of gravity, in it's orig. box with the orig. warranty card that is an old computer punch card. The scale is perfect and I couldn't be happier. I think it was $175. to my door and it was $ well spent. American made scale brought into this century by the best out there... 8)

18. Dgd6mm

Dgd6mm Silver $$ Contributor

I have not done this yet, but it is in my plan .

19. potatoe

Thanks armored, thats what I'm going to do. We have been playing phone tag this morning but I'll get ahold of him this afternoon. From what I've read he's the guy to go to.

20. Mike402

Mike402

I did this exact same thing and it worked out great. Ended up with an old Ohaus & best of it all - it was red! I was planning on painting whatever he sent me, but this worked out perfectly. Still in box with orginal documents & works perfectly. Waited a little longer than I would have liked, but it was worth it in the end.