Weight Sorting Brass

Discussion in 'Reloading Forum (All Calibers)' started by yukonal, Mar 21, 2012.

1. yukonal

yukonal

I sorted 100 Lapua .223 cases and they range from 95.3-96.2 grains (by weight, not volume)

I separated them--50 at 95.3-95.7, and 50 at 95.8-96.2 grains.

Am I being too fussy? is the 9/10 of a grain difference in weight with the whole batch so small...that it won't really MAKE a difference?

What is the general rule for case weight difference-in a batch of brass-that you sort, for say...small cases, med cases, and larger cases--like 7 Rem Mag? Thanks!

2. markr

markr Site $$ Contributor

There are several opinions on weight sorting. What kind of rifle and what kind of shooting do you do? Weight sort when new or after fireforming/neck turning/primer pocket uniforming/trimming? If you are shooting a rack grade rifle then your brass is fine as is, in my opinion.

3. yukonal

yukonal

The brass will be used for F-TR, in a bolt action rifle. It has been trimmed, uniformed, and fired twice during fireforming/load developement. This will be the third loading of the brass, and I have my load. Ready to get serious. ;D

4. alf

alf Site $$ Contributor

The true test would be to keep them separated, and do a side by side shoot off.

Betcha don't see a difference....... ;)

5. Leaddog

Leaddog F-Class T/R Site $$ Contributor

Case sorting by weight isn't nearly as accurate (or maybe not accurate at all) as case sorting by capacity. There is just too much variance in case head weight. Use at least 91% alcohol as your weighing medium.

6. Wolfdawg

Wolfdawg

I have posted this question before in reference to sorting by volume.
    What do you use to PLUG the flash hole???
    Wouldn't that material varry in weight? Unless you use the same item in every case (spent primer, putty, etc), how can the weight be accurate?

Wolfdawg

7. jimbires

jimbires

wolfdawg , I'm not a match shooter , so I just let the old primer in . this is accurate enough for me . I weigh the fired case . then I fill it . then I weigh it again . subtract the empty weight from the filled weight , this gives you the weight of the liquid . doing it this way the weight of the plug doesn't matter . Jim

8. yukonal

yukonal

I'd imagine you've done it a hundred times. So if you say I won't see a diff...I'll just load 'em all up and play.

9. XTR

XTR Site $$ Contributor

Unless you are already shooting in the 190s you are wasting your time. Load them up and shoot. F class is not BR, you don't get extra points for group size. As long as it's holding .5MOA of vertical you'll never lose a point to the brass, on the other hand the wind is going to take fifteen or twenty a match for a while probably more on those days that the conditions get hairy. Until you get more practice you don't need to worry about it, and even then I don't think it matters in the game we play.

My unsorted WW brass will hold X ring vertical at 600 and about the same at 1000. Trust me on this one. If I lose points to vertical I can usually tell it was me. Maybe once a match I get a 9 that I wonder how it got there.

10. RStewart

RStewart FTR and FPR Competitor Site $$ Contributor

I don't weigh my brass and shoot a .223 in the low to mid-190's in FTR. When I consistently stay in the mid-190's I may start weighing brass. But like said above if you hold 1/2 moa vertical, I would be more concerned with the wind.
    Good luck!

11. yukonal

yukonal

Thanks guys, I'll just load 'em up and not sweat it.

Last week I had a .340" vertical at 200. Horizontal was .950" in a 15 mph wind. Before I even thought about sorting...just trying to not leave any stones unturned.

12. ronemus

ronemus Site $$ Contributor

I did an experiment several years ago to determine just how much effect brass weight has on .223 loads. I used WW brass (sized, trimmed and deburred, primer pockets uniformed, flash holes deburred, and neck turned) , WSR primers, charges of RL-15 or N-550 powder weighed to 0.1 gr, and 75 gr A-Max bullets. Using the lightest and heaviest cases (sorted from 1000 once-fired I had on hand), I had two lots of 10 cases with a 3 gr difference in weight. The average muzzle velocity difference was 16 fps, just a bit more than the 12 fps due to 0.1 gr of powder. I choose to sort 0.5 gr lots of brass for my long range loads, but the effect will only matter at 800-1000 yards - the vertical displacement on the target from such a small velocity change is negligible at shorter distances. Unless you control all other sources of variation, the effect of brass weight is negligible.