Watching bullets fly

Discussion in 'Rimfire & Smallbore' started by 7887mm08, Jan 9, 2018.

1. 7887mm08

7887mm08 Silver $$ Contributor

So today I took my 10/22 to the range to sight it in after changing out the scope and stock. Set up at 50 yds and used a white target against a white poster board, the ground is also white with snow.
    Shooting cci sv I could actually see the bullet in flight. Watched it arc right into my aiming point.
    Pretty cool! I have never experienced this before. Of course my eyes are 55 yrs old and I wear glasses. Scope was set at 12x.

seymour fish likes this.
  2. MrMajestic

MrMajestic Gold $$ Contributor

The CCI Quiets at 710 fps along with standard velocity shorts and CB shorts are noticeable with open sights. It is fun to watch people when you tell them you can see the bullet in flight!

3. Meangreen

Meangreen

I've watched trace a million times, but occasionally the sun is at just the right angle to glint off the base of the bullet. Last time I was in the desert, last summer, there were a few minutes where we could watch the shine off the base of the bullets all the way to 1200 yards.

holstil likes this.
  4. seymour fish

seymour fish

708, It’s good fun with low sun at your back. Good ammo screening test for 100 and beyond: corkscrew motion is detectable sometimes, and precludes accuracy at distance

holstil likes this.
  5. 243winxb

243winxb

Seen 22lr also in my 12x.

With the right sun angle, 45acp cast bullet, target loads can be seen with the naked eye. About 700 fps velocity as they go to 50 yards.

How about the vapor trail off a 30 caliber rifle bullet on its way to 500 yards.

All cool stuff seen by my 73 year old eyes.

6. flatlander

flatlander

I noticed the same thing several years ago while shooting a 40XB I'd just received from the CMP. I had a Weaver KT15 scope mounted, and was shooting prone with coat/sling/glove at 100yds with Wolf Match Extra, which is std vel ammo. To me, seeing the bullet fly into the paper target meant that my follow-through was good, and that I hadn't blinked at the shot break - just two more good reasons that point out why smallbore prone can be a big help in practicing for HP LR prone.

7. linekin

linekin Silver $$ Contributor

A fellow competitor mentioned that "I was watching the bullet heading towards the X, & just before it hit, veered high & scored a 9". ;):rolleyes:o_O He was serious!
    I guess he must be a little more "in tune" than I am!:)
    It is pretty cool to watch them heading down range though.
    Keith

8. USMCDOC

USMCDOC Silver $$ Contributor

I have seen that on several occasions

9. johara1

johara1

Seen a lot of hard ball make it's way to target ...... those were the days. Now I shave by feel........ Jim

tmwinds likes this.
  10. 86alaskan

86alaskan Silver $$ Contributor

Had this very thing happen Sunday. Was zeroing in at 100yds using CCI select target 22lr and could easily see the rounds as they came down to the target. Had to dial 5.5moa to get them in, so they had a bit of loop to them. Sun was directly behind and slightly overhead, which probably helped.

USMCDOC likes this.
  11. hogpatrol

hogpatrol Gold $$ Contributor

Hunt on a night when it's humid. You don't need tracers. :D

12. Downhill

Downhill

When I was a kid varmint hunting at night with a 22lr, with a spotlight on the critter. We could watch the bullet in flight with great clarity.