True and blue?

Discussion in 'Main Message Board' started by muleman69, Feb 21, 2020.

1. muleman69

muleman69 USMC -1st marine Div. RVN Gold $$ Contributor

What all is done to a receiver when they state it is trued and blue printed,also what is done to a bolt when it is timed? Like to build a heavy rifle one day and need a place to start, should I have all this done ?

Stan Taylor likes this.
  2. hogpatrol

hogpatrol Don't criticize the farmer with your mouth full. Gold $$ Contributor

Some will say, myself included, it's better and may be cheaper to just buy a custom action. A full truing results in a bastard action.

joshb, 338 dude, NorCalMikie and 5 others like this.
  3. butchlambert

butchlambert Site $$ Sponsor

Show up at the Shilen Swap Meet. There will be some Stiller receivers. Last year they sold for $600.

4. muleman69

That would be great but I think I live to far from the meet. Need some one to pick one up for me and send it to my FFL. How much are they normally?

5. PatMiles

PatMiles Gold $$ Contributor

You need to educate yourself as to what operations are done to a receiver when it is blueprinted and trued. By arming yourself with that knowledge you can ask questions of a smith as to what he has done and separate the wheat from the chafe if he tries to blow smoke up your skirt about what he did or what he thinks is necessary.
    Let the buyer beware.

6. rsmithsr50

rsmithsr50

blue printed means it is made to the specs, typically the min spec/tight end. uniform, straight
    since the recvr is already made,that is kinda tuff to do.
    it can be trued, all straight lines and the threads recut( no longer blue print)
    this can be a big help on a factory part...but it is nowhere near what a custom action is...plain and simple save your money.
    I have a lathe and can do the work, I buy custom actions.
    do not buy cheap, buy a known product in the field where you compete.

7. McGraw

McGraw Silver $$ Contributor

Muleman, a custom will save you the cost of these things over a 700 action: bolt release button,bolt bushed,bolt handle timing,fluted bolt, and a custom bolt knob. Try a Defiance action of some type, you will be happy with it.

8. butchlambert

I don't think it works that way. Straw purchases are against the law. Below is the Tac30 that I bought last year in 223.
    https://stilleractions.com/product/tac-30/

muleman69 likes this.
  9. Nightraider

Nightraider

That's not a straw purchase. If it's sent to his ffl he'll be filing a 4473.

Mark W, TimS, tmwinds and 2 others like this.
  10. butchlambert

I guess if he finds somebody to handle it, he is good to go. Logistics will still be fun.

11. rsmithsr50

rsmithsr50

I repeat
    "do not buy cheap, buy a known product in the field where you compete."

338 dude, muleman69 and McGraw like this.
  12. rsmithsr50

rsmithsr50

what type of rifle do you intend to build/have built ?

13. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE- Thread Derail Crew Gold $$ Contributor

Lots of blueprinting operations are a feel good type expense (and sometimes a money making operation)

14. Alex Wheeler

Alex Wheeler Gold $$ Contributor

Lots of smiths assume things are perfect out of the box. Not true, not even close.... It takes time and effort to go through things, its a money losing effort but if you want to put out the best you do it. Those that down play it, just dont know.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2020
  15. muleman69

I would like a tank in a 6mm dasher. Like to do it from the ground up as right as I can.

Rustytigwire likes this.
  16. rsmithsr50

rsmithsr50

for 600/1000 br or ??

17. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE- Thread Derail Crew Gold $$ Contributor

You should probably fully true it then. Most configurations it doesnt matter which is why i said what i did earlier

muleman69 likes this.
  18. dmoran

dmoran Donovan Moran Silver $$ Contributor

@muleman69
    One of the "best bangs for the buck" (IMO) is the Kelby Atlas Tactical (www.kelbly.com/actions-steel-atlas-tactical/)
    $1049 that is Black Nitride finished, fluted bolt, and comes with a pinned 20-MOA picatinny scope rail and a trigger hanger.

My first 6Dasher I built from a trued 700. My 2nd and 3rd are customs.
    If I had it to do over, should have went with a custom action right from the start.
    Good Luck

Joe Maisto and muleman69 like this.
  19. NV_Dmax

NV_Dmax Gold $$ Contributor

Mr. Mule,
    I can assure you that buying a custom action is not guaranteeing you a perfect piece of art. Some are close, but nothing is guaranteed. You will still want somebody who knows what they’re doing to go through it, especially if you want to go from the ground up, and super especially if you want the piece of mind KNOWING it’s gonna be right.

muleman69 likes this.
  20. hogpatrol

hogpatrol Don't criticize the farmer with your mouth full. Gold $$ Contributor

Just curious, what's the percentage you've found to be out of square, parallel, concentric and ill timed, any or all of those?