the goesinta

Discussion in 'Advanced Gunsmithing & Engineering' started by confuzed, Aug 13, 2008.

1. confuzed

Jan 7, 2006
    What would be the proper clearance between the end of the bolt and the counter-bore in the barrel that the bolt goesinta or [fits into], the gun in question is a mod 700 short action. thanks you guys know your stuff!!
  2. Eddie Harren

Eddie Harren Site $$ Contributor

Jan 22, 2006
    I use .005" on Hunter and Varmint Hunter BR rifles and, .010" on Live Varmint, Big Game and Tactical rifles.
  3. TRECustom

Aug 23, 2007
    I shoot for .006"-.007" made up by hand in the lathe, and .005" after make-up. I check it with little pieces of brass shimstock in the bottom of the recess before and after make-up. Like Doc, I would not let it go under .005". If it bottoms after make-up, you'll know it because the bolt will not rotate into lock-up,before you try the headspace gage) and you would have to pull the barrel back off and go back into the lathe, not knowing if you nailed the headspace or not. Alternatively, I guess you could make a setup on the bolt and face a few thousandths off of the front of the lip, but the shim check worked for me and I didn't have to do either one..

I've never seen it, but I have read a couple of threads about the case ringing itself in the gap between the bolt lip and the bottom of the recess if the recess is cut too deep.

Good question, hope we helped. Tom