Texas folks question?

Discussion in 'Main Message Board' started by joshb, Sep 17, 2019.

1. joshb

joshb Gold $$ Contributor

How do you protect your dogs from rattlers? Snake fence? Buy a pet Mongoose?

2. Rsadams

Rsadams

Not much you can do... Have had many dogs bitten by copperheads.... Pretty much their kinda on their own as far as outside dogs.... The smart ones stay away and bark to get someone's attention....

Now there's some things you can do..... Keep logs picked up , keep grass mowed short , basically try and keep any mice away and the snakes won't be there exept for the occasional roamer.... If the grass is greener somewhere else that's were they will go....

3. swglenn

swglenn

At one time there were snake proofing classes offered. The put a rattlesnake in a cage inside an enclosure. You bring your dog, wearing a shock collar, into the enclosure. When the dog goes up to the snake he gets a shock. You remove him and come back an hour later and try him again. If he goes for the snake another shock. When he will no longer even look at the snake he is deemed to be snake proof.

AJC, dogdude, 300_whisper and 2 others like this.
  4. Medic505

Medic505 Dean Wheeler Gold $$ Contributor

^^^^^This.
    I had a Lab I did this to and she would turn tail and run at the sent of a snake. I shot several while hunting with her. She never did offer to retrieve one....:eek::eek::eek:

Riesel and joshb like this.
  5. Knotwild

Knotwild Silver $$ Contributor

Check with your vet. They now have vaccine's for rattlesnake bites. Guys here are using it on bird dogs. When I talked to the veterinarian about it he said it doesn't make them immune, but it alleviates the poison's affect enough that you have time to get the dog to the vet and survival rate goes up. It also hinges on how much poison the snake injects with the bite.

joshb, pirate ammo, Medic505 and 2 others like this.
  6. fe1

fe1

I’ve never known of a dog or cat that’s died from any kind of snake bite. And I’ve lots bitten.

okie, 300_whisper and joshb like this.
  7. DirtySteve

DirtySteve Gold $$ Contributor

Contact the German Short Haired Pointer Club of San Antonio. They put on a "Snake Avoidance" training for dogs. It is usually held just before dove season so you may be a bit late for this years training. Plus a second vote for the vaccine. The Shots are about $15-20 here in Montana. I once paid a over a grand in treatment for one of my dogs. She was bit multiple times. the snake was under a rock and that crazy bitch kept trying to get him. Her face swole up like a basket ball. Her lips even peeled off. She survived but it took a while for her skin to fit again. lol..

Most of the time a single bite in the face is not a problem. It is treated with benidryl and antibiotics.

Edit. You can google Pat and James Dunn SouthwindGSP in San Marcos. Or contact the Gulf Coast GSP club.. They have a FB page I think.
    San Antonio Club http://www.gspcsa.org/

Last edited: Sep 17, 2019
    joshb and Medic505 like this.
  8. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE- Thread Derail Crew Gold $$ Contributor

Keep benadryl on hand. Ive had a rat terrier get bit so many times he stopped swelling up

9. muleman69

muleman69 USMC -1st marine Div. RVN Gold $$ Contributor

Is this a tab? how do you administer it and how much?

joshb likes this.
  10. Medic505

Medic505 Dean Wheeler Gold $$ Contributor

Google Diphenhydramine Citrate, probably enough info there to make your head explode

joshb and muleman69 like this.
  11. pirate ammo

pirate ammo Guaranteed to take the wind out of their sails Gold $$ Contributor

Taking Phideoux in next week for her snake shot,,do it twice a year.

joshb likes this.
  12. Bamban

Bamban Silver $$ Contributor

Would EpiPen work on a dog bitten by a snake to prevent swelling?

Last edited: Sep 18, 2019
  13. snert

snert Gold $$ Contributor

Somehow I cannot get the picture of a Jack Russel after a shot from an Epipen outta my head...

Snuggie, Medic505, DirtySteve and 3 others like this.
  14. Dusty Stevens

FB1668FC-FDFF-4580-AE54-021E07D72477.jpeg

muleman69 likes this.
  15. Sniper338

Sniper338

We train amateur, and I have a professional trainer. We have high end hunt test dogs. We do yearly snake training. Basically you get a rattler, staple its mouth shut, put it out in the feild then walk up on it with a dog on a leash and shock collar on turned all the way up. When the dog goes to sniff it, and or the snake strikes, light up the dog with the collar. They learn quick and dont want nothing to do with that sob. Refresh their memory every year.

Most dogs will come unglued and freak out, yelp, and not want anything to do with the snake. Once they see it again, they are headed the other way. Works fairly well.

joshb likes this.
  16. pirate ammo

pirate ammo Guaranteed to take the wind out of their sails Gold $$ Contributor

hope you got a good hold on that thing.:eek::eek::eek:

17. Dusty Stevens

Id like to see a pic of one stapled shut!

18. muleman69

I would like to see a pic also, some of them we have killed here you would need stove bolts

Urv, jbarnwell, New Gun and 2 others like this.
  19. KMart

KMart Gold $$ Contributor

Stove Bolts. Now there is something that has the younger generation scratching their heads.:)

Snuggie, 'Freak, D Coots and 4 others like this.
  20. muleman69

Ha,but they can always look it up on there I-phones

Lone Hunter, New Gun, dogdude and 3 others like this.