Tempilaq users

Discussion in 'Reloading Forum (All Calibers)' started by geraldgee, Jul 12, 2018.

1. geraldgee

geraldgee Gold $$ Contributor

Ok - I drank the annealing Kool-Aid and purchased an Annealeez. Got it and played with it some yesterday. I also purchased a bottle of Tempilaq 750. Nevertheless - here is my question to you Tempilaq user -

In painting this substance on, I find it comes out of the bottle a bit clotty or lumpy and it goes on to the case the same way. I shook the bottle aggressively several times and it didn't seem to have any real effect. If the label on the bottle cap is to be believed, it was manufactured in March 2018.

I watched a YouTube Vid where it looked like it had the consistency of thick paint - NOT the stuff I bought. Any suggestions/ideas?

Thanks in advance for your constructive help.

Gerald

jackson1 likes this.
  2. Dan S

Dan S Silver $$ Contributor

Tempilaq sells thinner

3. Ccrider

Ccrider Silver $$ Contributor

Yea. Thinner. And it is expensive.

4. Dan S

https://m.grainger.com/mobile/product/TEMPIL-Temperature-Indicating-Thinner-31MF01

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
  5. danny

danny

Gerald,
    Typically, it is pretty thin , and, if I remember correctly, you are supposed to paint it on in thin coats. I can't explain why yours is thick, but in any case, you really need their thinner to exist with this stuff, unless you are a chemistry teacher, chemical engineer or sales rep that can identify it as a commonly available and less expensive solvent by odor. This substance evaporates and gets thick in less than short order.

Danny

6. Dan S

Annealeez is a great machine btw. I love mine. I look for reasons to anneal just so I can watch it in action. It’s memorizing ;)

LGKLAS likes this.
  7. geraldgee

Thank you for your quick responses.

I bought the thinner. I wasn’t sure if it needed thinned or more shaking. I guess I expected a more consistent texture. I’ll add some thinner and see what I end up with. Thanks again.

Gerald

8. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE Gold $$ Contributor

Be sure to sneak up on that thinner it goes a lot faster than you expect!!

Ccrider and geraldgee like this.
  9. geraldgee

Test run - successful. I annealed some 7.62X40 WT. I will let y'all know how the load and shoot.

Thank you all for your help.

LGKLAS likes this.
  10. Ccrider

Ccrider Silver $$ Contributor

And be sure to close your bottles right or you will reach for it to find that it has disappeared much like Casper the friendly ghost . Ask me how I know.

LGKLAS and geraldgee like this.
  11. danny

danny

Usually,
    The thick residue sinks to the bottom after time.

Danny

geraldgee likes this.
  12. Nature Boy

Nature Boy

You have to shake the crap out of the bottle, then shake it some more

geraldgee likes this.
  13. Richard Coody

Richard Coody Silver $$ Contributor

shake the crap out of it. paint on several coats. make sure you put it inside the neck not on the outside where it is exposed to the flame. time how long it takes to melt and set it up and carry on.

teele1 and geraldgee like this.
  14. danny

danny

I had more time to read your post as I sit down for the evening. Mine got to where it was semi solid (almost). I had to stir and bust up some of the lumps and even then kind of let the thinner sit and work on the clumps, then went back at it with shaking, stirring and busting up the clumps.

Danny

geraldgee likes this.
  15. Richard Coody

Richard Coody Silver $$ Contributor

you might have got an old bottle. shake the hell out of it and put on several coats allowing to dry between coats. when in melts not burns off its ready. inside the neck.

geraldgee likes this.
  16. geraldgee

Following the advice above to go easy on it, I added just a bit of thinner last night. I let it set til morning and shook the snot out of it - it appears as if the coagulating/clumping is gone.

Thanks for all the helpful advice. I appreciate it.

Gerald

LGKLAS likes this.
  17. Fotheringill

Fotheringill

If you have a dry tumbler, wrap the bottle in duct tape and throw it in to the tumbler the next time you are cleaning brass. It will help.

Without the thinner (which I don't have) the stuff lasts about six months before it clots.

18. jepp2

jepp2 Silver $$ Contributor

Mine must be the really good stuff. Date of manufacture is 092013A, and it hasn't dried up or lost volume. The solids do tend to drop to the bottom, but they are easy to re-disperse. When I do use it, I paint it on (goes on thin) and recap the bottle immediately and tighten the lid. I just checked both bottles and they are both fine.

19. divingin

divingin

Don't think it's common and likely not cheaper:

http://www.tempil.com/assets/1/31/GreenLabelThinner_TIL004NA_EN_LACO1510023_v1.0.pdf

Bromopropane and epoxybutane, whatever those are.