T3 varmint question

Discussion in 'Small Stuff--22s, 20s, and 17s' started by Bugs, Mar 29, 2020.

1. Bugs

Bugs Gold $$ Contributor

Folks. . . I have a T3 varmint in .223 that I've started shooting for the first time (It's sat in the back of the safe for a couple of years) and it's "two-grouping". I removed the Vortex viper and replaced it with a trusted NF 12 x 42 BR scope but the problem is still there. It will put several shots under a half inch and then for an unknown reason start to throw shots about a minute and a half low and right. I thought I'd throw this out there for any ideas before I start ripping my hair out and indiscriminately trying things. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. I already checked and rechecked scope bases, ring screws, action screws etc. etc.

2. Ramblerman

Ramblerman Gold $$ Contributor

You probably did, but did you check the barrel channel for obstructions and if it has any pressure points with it sitting on a rest?

SPJ and Idaho-Lefty like this.
  3. joshb

joshb Gold $$ Contributor

I just had a similar problem but it turned out to be the dummy behind the gun. I had adjusted my front rest and forgotten to retighten the post lock.
    Is your neck tension consistent?
    Did you upgrade the trigger spring with a Yo-Dave?
    ^^^^^^Check for stock contact.

You could just send it to me and I'll figure it out.:):):);):p:rolleyes:

std7mag likes this.
  4. Bugs

Bugs Gold $$ Contributor

I've had several offers like that LOL

std7mag and joshb like this.
  5. joshb

Just know we're here to help, any way we can.;) I have to get another one, myself. I had three. Gave them to my son in law , a grandson, and a deserving friend.:(

6. K22

K22

I have the same model in the same caliber. Also have the Vortex Viper, 4 x16, on mine. Not crazy about the scope but I got it on sale at Midway - last time I ever order a scope over the internet unless it's a Leupold.

1. What bullet / powder combo are you shooting?

2. Does the "group" shift (i.e. two distinct multiple shot groups) or is there just an occasional flyer?

3. What kind of rest are you using?

4. While the barrel is fairly heavy and doesn't heat up quickly, how rapid are you shooting your groups?

5. Did you shoot with variable winds over 10 mph and / or heavy mirage?

6. Are you checking Scope cant before each shot?

Mine like 60 Vmax's, H4895, and Federal 205 match primers.

7. Bugs

Bugs Gold $$ Contributor

A) 52 grain Vmax with 25 gr. benchmark / fed 205. Throat is long so I am not anywhere near the lands. This load has shot well in several other .223 rifles.
    B) using an old, well traveled Bald eagle slingshot. Note: I have removed the swivel studs so no bag interference.
    C) definitely two distinct multi shot groups.
    D) there is a level on the rifle and I am checking cant on each shot.
    E) wind was about 3-4 mph; overcast with no mirage. Shooting on 42 power

8. joshb

There's your answer. You need to work up a load for the gun in question. Each barrel has it's own wants and needs. Call that "harmonics".

9. xswanted

xswanted Gold $$ Contributor

Do the odd shots happen after the barrel is warm?

My guess is if they are consistently low right and happen as the barrel heats up, you’ve got some carbon build up or copper build up that is messing with your bullet jackets causing them to drop low and right. Right hand twist guns will occasionally do this if they are “funky” dirty. Sitting in a safe for a few years my guess is you when you started shooti fit again you got some fouling in the barrel. And seeing as it’s an 8 twist it might be highlighted even more.

Clean it good, maybe even use a little JB and my guess is your problem will go away.

Or it could be something else.

10. Downhill

Downhill Gold $$ Contributor

I own a Tikka T3 Varmint in a Bell & Carson stock, do not have the issues you describe. But I also own a Steyr Mountain Rifle and if I let the barrel get hot it will string diagonally at 2 o'clock. I have always thought it has something to do with the spiral hammer forged barrel design. When I let it completely cool down it shoot back at sight location. I think the Tikka has a similar barrel type.

11. littlebuddybr

littlebuddybr Gold $$ Contributor

Watch your shoulder pressure.

joshb likes this.
  12. Uglybird

Uglybird

I had similar issues with my varmint. Turned out it was mostly just very picky - wouldn't shoot anything lighter than 77 smk, but would put those into 5-leaf clovers @ 100. I also dremeled out the stock to give a full free-float - that did tighten it up some as well. Without that, I expect the 77's would've shot 1/2" instead of 1/4".

joshb likes this.
  13. grovey

grovey

It's your load, or you. It isn't the gun. I thought I had those issues when my ,223 superlite was grouping 2 in and 1 out. Changed bullets/load, and it was a hammer.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2020
  14. BradY

BradY

Not a 1:8 twist is it?