Stock Inlet and Bedding

Discussion in 'Gun Project Questions & Gunsmithing' started by Jerry S, Dec 23, 2019.

1. LRI_Chad Dixon

LRI_Chad Dixon

I do.

2. 1911nut

1911nut

So what’s next? Synthetic bedding compound over the wood bed?

fantastic looking bedding work!

3. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE- Thread Derail Crew Gold $$ Contributor

How much to do the wood in a foundation stock for a vudoo?

4. jimmymac

jimmymac Gold $$ Contributor

That is impressive. Thanks for sharing that video.

5. WayneShaw

WayneShaw

I know you did the work and it's first class. I thought at first the "wood" was an epoxy of some kind that had the grain highlighting in it, thus my question "who makes it".

6. LRI_Chad Dixon

LRI_Chad Dixon

More on this wood bedding block thing and my reasoning for doing it on this little rimfire.

1st, this gun was built for one of our dealership shops that we do a ton of work for. It was as much of a "hold the beer n watch this" as it was anything else. They give me a long leash when goofing around with stuff like this.

My thoughts: First, I grew up in this trade shooting service rifle while in the Marine Corps. I was 19 years old shooting on the Camp Pendelton SR team when I first met Mid Tompkins and Nancy Gallagher. I can't count the number of times Mid shared his opinion that he liked a wood stock more than a composite. Then later in life comes Neal Johnson, Lonnes Wigger, yada, yada. The list goes on... Next, my Dad. He was an electronics geek in the AF in the first part of his career. That meant our house had model trains, RC stuff, and a ridiculous stereo, all of which rubbed off on me as well. I spent the better part of a decade putting together a Class A home audio setup. While shopping for a high-end turntable stylus I was blown away by a company in Germany that sells one that is encased in a slug of machined English Walnut. The reason is what got my attention; Wood manages big words like resonation, amplitude, frequency, and harmonics better than just about anything. English walnut being exceptional at it.

So, take the words of Mid Tompkins, Neal, Lonnes, and my predilection for vinyl and we decided to conduct a little experiment. -Machine a bedding block from walnut and see how it goes.

That's what I did and the thought train behind it. The client loves it and performance has had zero negative impact thus far.

7. hpshooter

hpshooter Gold $$ Contributor

"More on this wood bedding block thing and my reasoning for doing it on this little rimfire."

Thanks for sharing the back story on this project, I found it interesting. Please post some long term reports on the accuracy of the rimfire rifle in the future.

Billy Meyers bedded rimfires in what he refereed to as a "resilient adhesive" and they shoot very well from what I have read.

8. LRI_Chad Dixon

LRI_Chad Dixon

It seems to work well. It's not the first time I've done this. The L/H blue Nesika Palma Rifle that I've blasted all over the internet for the last 15 years was/is the first gun I ever tried this on. Charles Clark is a dear friend and another "lab rat" of mine. When that gun was built he was in his shooting prime and the elevation that rifle held at 1k bordered on F Class accuracy. 1/3rd moa was very possible when conditions played nice.

Now, keep in mind Charles is one of these people that insist that toilet paper rolls in a certain direction and I'd lay a bet he also irons his socks and underwear. :) His routine for ammunition preparation borders on the absurd and everything he uses for Fullbore is absolutely top-shelf. -Now add that he trains and practices at a pace that would make the former Soviet Block jealous.

My only take from all of it is that what I did certainly did not hinder its performance and he's fortunate to be able to compete internationally. (the point there being the gun has proven to perform over a broad variety of climatic conditions)

It's certainly not something I would do on a "squirrel team 6" rifle, but for princess square range target rigs, it seems to work.

Dusty Stevens, PhilKeil and hpshooter like this.
  9. Fast14riot

Fast14riot Silver $$ Contributor

I'm sure those rifles cost less than a Grado Lineage Epoch cartridge!

10. swadiver

swadiver Silver $$ Contributor

audiophile, eh?

Fast14riot likes this.
  11. Fast14riot

Fast14riot Silver $$ Contributor

On a very small budget, yes, lol!