Single shot pistol loading thread

Discussion in 'Reloading Forum (All Calibers)' started by Muzzlestuffer, Dec 28, 2019.

1. gemihur

gemihur

Bill, you're right!
    Keep shootin', man!
    7-30 waters w target med.jpg

2. bsekf

bsekf

Thank you. Loading for TC's is a whole different ball game.

Bill

3. Muzzlestuffer

Muzzlestuffer

Loaded up some ladder loads with 130 gr vld target bullets over h4350 starting at 35 grains seated two sets each .15 thou off lands and .20 thou off lands I didn't need to neck turn but did need to use a .263 expander mandrell as the necks were way too tight will test Sunday or Monday.

4. gemihur

gemihur

I've learned an awful lot working with these break actions.
    They are strong, versatile, and very accurate.

Iowa Fox likes this.
  5. Iowa Fox

Iowa Fox Silver $$ Contributor

Yes they are.

6. Muzzlestuffer

Muzzlestuffer

Went to the range today with the break open pistol. I just had Leupold put a target adjustable turret on my scope. I had some ladder loads put together to try out but I stopped shooting because I just couldn't get a stable sight picture I'm not sure it was bad enough to get the groups I was getting so I have to figure out a stable adjustable rest to take out that part out of the equation. any ideas on a good solid rest would be appreciated!!

7. TC260

TC260

Assuming you're shooting something like a TC, you can use a normal front rest like you'd use for a rifle to rest the forend. Then use a small squeeze bag under the grip cap to provide stability to the back of the pistol. Squeeze the bag to adjust elevation with one hand, shoot the pistol with the other. Use a light grip and let the pistol recoil, don't try to hold it tightly to stop it from recoiling, that'll kill accuracy.

8. Muzzlestuffer

Muzzlestuffer

Shooting a freedom arms break open squeezing not enough need some sort of adjustable set up I might try a scissor jack with a deep style bag on top.

9. ihmsakiwi

ihmsakiwi

I shot both scoped & open sighted pistols in the IHMSA discipline and was constantly surprised at how I was able to shoot consistantly better scores from the Creedmore position than I ever shot over bags / rests with them.

I scoped my FA 357Mag & .22LR revolvers thinking I might use them exclusively in lieu of a different pistol for each class but never got to grips with bags & rests. Ended up doing all my testing from the Creedmore position which is where i was ultimately going to shoot from anyway, plus the LER scopes in use were dialed in for the Creedmore eye-relief.

10. Muzzlestuffer

Muzzlestuffer

Interesting I never thought of that style shooting thanks !

11. Muzzlestuffer

Muzzlestuffer

I found just what I'm looking for ? It's a adjustable shooting rest with a deep bag I found it on black widow web site when I was ordering a trimmer 11 brass trimmer

12. JayHHI6818

JayHHI6818

Real shame Manufacturer stopped making this Bulls bag. Best pistol rest to shoot off of. You can open it up and let it lightly squeeze the fore end

[​IMG]

13. Muzzlestuffer

Muzzlestuffer

Yeah looks like a good set up

14. Muzzlestuffer

Muzzlestuffer

Funny I checked e-bay there was the exact one mint condition 45 bucks for stand and bag I bought it !!

15. JayHHI6818

JayHHI6818

Congratulations on your ebay find!!!!
    You will love it !!!

16. Muzzlestuffer

Muzzlestuffer

I was surprised to find one so quick I see buds still makes shooters bags but are about 80 -100 range so I think I got lucky with this find ?

17. gemihur

gemihur

Just give 'er some legs
    Gonic GA-90 45 cal w custom stock sm.jpg

18. Muzzlestuffer

Muzzlestuffer

Yeah I'm having a new forearm made with a bipod adaptor. I also have a couple new shooting bags to try out hope to get out on Sunday to do some shooting again !

gemihur likes this.
  19. TC260

TC260

Tony's forends and grips are my favorite pillar bedded forends for bipod use. Worth a phone call to talk to him about shooting pistols with a bipod, he knows a lot about it.

http://www.tonysforendsandgrips.net/

20. Muzzlestuffer

Muzzlestuffer

Thanks I'm not sure he does one for the freedom arms but I'll find out ?