Shooting Tips - Practice Shooting Fast and Accurately

Discussion in '6BR, 6BR Improved & Wildcats' started by BartsBullets, Oct 30, 2019.

1. Don_Parsons

Don_Parsons

Your welcome Jp, a true loss to the community up there to the Gal and her infant child along with her husband,,, friends and family...

She didn't stand a chance...

Sad loss for her husband, friends and family.

Don

Last edited: Nov 3, 2019
    Rustytigwire likes this.
  2. comagutsa

comagutsa

Think I better lower my seat then to.. I sort of sit over the rifle.. Time for some testing sitting lower.. Monkey on a football here haha

Rushty and SPJ like this.
  3. Rushty

Rushty Silver $$ Contributor

Monkey on a football would be a step up for you bud!!

comagutsa likes this.
  4. arkcomatt

arkcomatt Matt Owens Gold $$ Contributor

I can't hardly load and shoot this fast! Let alone aim while doing it.
    I've worked with Bart and he is a master with his technique. He can coach you on the smallest things that most of us never notice or even realize. Under one such session, he asked me if i was pushing the gun up with my shoulder? I said I was. He said "are you?" He gave me that look. That look that told me I was doing it wrong. I really was not, but thought I was. Turns out I was pushing forward with my thumb on the bolt, then opening it. In my head I was doing it correct though. His eye could catch it though. Still working on perfecting it.

5. liljoe

liljoe Silver $$ Contributor

I have got that same look from him before Matt.

Joe

BartsBullets, Mulligan and arkcomatt like this.
  6. Shooter13

Shooter13 Gold $$ Contributor

When I first got my 30BR I just came off a 6PPC and did the same thing! Dang! Free recoil my butt! I may try it again but guarantee my shoulder will only be mm off the stock on that 30BR! :eek:

SSeal likes this.
  7. dogdude

dogdude Egan O'Brien Gold $$ Contributor

I got too Practice Fast yesterday with a fire form barrel too blow out virgin brass ! H/G, WSM with a Shurefeed set up next to the port..6 ten shot strings averaged 25 seconds per. Most fun I've had at my range in awhile, no worrying about heating up the barrel or cleaning..14 strings too go..yeeha!

arkcomatt, BartsBullets and Dgd6mm like this.
  8. damoncali

damoncali Bullet Maker Site $$ Sponsor

I know it's not as popular these days, but anyone have any tips on right bolt right port handling? I can't bring myself to put my face in front of a port...

Lostcreek likes this.
  9. BartsBullets

BartsBullets Gold $$ Contributor

Several of the Top short range guys shoot a right/right. To include Tony Boyer. It’s just as fast as a left port/right eject. The biggest problem I see with the right /right is shooters tend to come out of position (getting shoulder over the back of the stock) when reaching for ammo.

The technique is basically the same. With a right bolt right port right eject your left hand can stay on the aiming stick. While your right hand opens the bolt, picks up a round, closes the bolt. Learn to do all of that without having to look for the ammo or bolt.

Bart

Last edited: Nov 14, 2019
    fultonbig9, dogdude, Ccrider and 4 others like this.
  10. johara1

johara1

That all sounds good but I never say a condition last for 10 shots, you better be looking at the flags.... jim

Whitehunter likes this.
  11. BartsBullets

Jim,

This is a gun-handling thread not a flag reading thread. This technique works whether you’re shooting fast or slow. Its an excellent way to work on bench manners as well handling the gun. Conditions dictate how you shoot! Sometimes you run them, other times you’ve got to pick, occasionally you have to hit the breaks. Just depends! But it’s doesn’t hurt to have that extra gear when you need it.

As for will it work for 10 shots...came in second HG group at the 1000 yard Nationals.
    There were only 3 targets shot in HG that were smaller than my 4.4! So it can work.

As you know I’m a big fan of flags! Been shooting over them for nearly 30 years. Had lots of people tell me they don’t work for long range. I don’t hear that nearly as much anymore.

Bart

12. Evan

Evan Gold $$ Contributor

That's just hilarious. I too find it easier to shoot without flags! It's so much easier to blame your equipment when you've got no flags ruining the story that you tell yourself and others about all those "flyers".

TIMO and BartsBullets like this.
  13. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE- Thread Derail Crew Gold $$ Contributor

or the one i like most- waterline

Evan likes this.
  14. mike a

mike a 6BR Rocks Gold $$ Contributor

My rear bag moves a tiny bit to the right every shot moving the muzzle left. After 5 shots my joystick is near fully right. Mike

15. Alex Wheeler

Alex Wheeler Gold $$ Contributor

The butt is hitting the wrong place on your shoulder. Change your position behind the rifle until it tracks straight.

DHuffman, Ccrider, Ragnar and 7 others like this.
  16. BartsBullets

Check out what Alex is saying. It’s excellent advice.

Also make sure you’re not pushing on the bag with your shoulder /chest. I like about an inch of the stock to stick out behind the rear bag to keep me from moving the bag.

Bart

DHuffman, McGraw, WyleWD and 4 others like this.