Self Timing Muzzle Brake

Discussion in 'Main Message Board' started by Iowa Fox, Sep 18, 2015.

1. Iowa Fox

Iowa Fox Silver $$ Contributor

Has anyone here had an opprtunity to try the 2 piece self timing brake from member IdahoCTD ?

2. boltfluter

boltfluter

If it's anything like his other products, it will be first class all the way. ;)

Regards, Paul

www.boltfluting.com

3. jonbearman

jonbearman I live in new york state,how unfortunate ! Gold $$ Contributor

Harrells makes a radial that is a lot less money.

4. Drop Port

Drop Port Silver $$ Contributor

No but APA Gen II's are very good. Just put a Gen II micro bastard on a 223 and it is as good as it gets. The outside thread jam nut works perfectly.

5. snert

snert Silver $$ Contributor

Ok, showing ignorance here...but can someone tell me what it means to time a MB and why ? I have several and they were put on by good smiths...so no issues...but just really curious what is being done to "time" it? thanks in advance

Snert

6. Iowa Fox

Iowa Fox Silver $$ Contributor

snert, On the side discharge brakes the side ports and the holes on the top of the brake must be indexed so everything is 90 degrees to the bore. This can be accomplished with shims, washers, nuts, or facing the shoulder of the tenon in a lathe so everything lines up. Radial brakes as a rule do not need to be indexed unless they have a portion without holes that need to be faced down. If a smith screws on your barrel and does the brake its no big deal, he does everything in one shot.

For guys like me without a lathe building a Savage Target action for the matches in 2016 Idaho's self timing brake is a big thing. Yes I can mark the top of the barrel after I head space it and ship it to someone I trust to index it but freight charges are sky high. Easily pay for a brake. Another big concern for me is shipping damage. I've seen a lot of that over the years. Good friend of mine sent an XP action in for a barrel and brake. UPS delivered it back to him with the end of the box torn open and his brand new barrel dragging on the concrete. Talk about tears. Lead time on a ordered premium barrel is about 16 weeks + or-. If it gets lost or damaged its easy to miss a match that you have spent a year preparing for. Hope this half way explains your question.

One thing, Idaho & Lynwood Harrel single point their brakes. Thats a big thing for me.

Back to the OP- Anyone here had a chance to actually range test one of Idaho's self timing brakes?

Thanks
    Guys

7. snert

snert Silver $$ Contributor

Got it, thanks Iowa