Savage question

Discussion in 'Main Message Board' started by josebd, Jan 23, 2020.

1. josebd

josebd Silver $$ Contributor

Are the bolts the same for top and bottom release?
    Short action

2. DHuffman

DHuffman Gold $$ Contributor

Should be if all is equal so to speak. There are things like flat back versus round, rear baffles with bolt stops can vary in length but are interchangeable. Bolt heads can vary as well,

3. varget204

varget204

Yes, Have Both

Zero333 likes this.
  4. beemanjohn

beemanjohn Silver $$ Contributor

Like all things Savage it depends on which one you have. My bottom bolt release gun takes a shorter front screw than a top release. Mine was one of those Cabela's specials they build from time to time. (a 16 fluted varmint)

5. olddav

olddav

They are the same design (more or less) but If you are replacing a bolt you will want to check the headspace.

RDA72927 and SPJ like this.
  6. Zero333

Zero333 Silver $$ Contributor

I've converted 2 bottom bolt release actions to top bolt release because it's much easier to take the bolt out with the top bolt release.

That's when I was still able to buy the top bolt release sear from brownells. They don't have it anymore.

It's not a straight swap, but doable. You have to bend the side release out a bit, hoping it won't break. I had one break. So I welded it back together, but made sure the sear edge was emerged in a ice cube when doing the welding so it doesn't undue the factory heat treat.

And of course relief cut the stock to accept the top bolt release sear.

338 dude likes this.