Savage Mark II Ammo Preference

Discussion in 'Rimfire & Smallbore' started by JaoeyP, Nov 24, 2018.

1. JaoeyP

JaoeyP Silver $$ Contributor

What ammo are you guys getting the best groups from your Savage Mark II? IvI' tried a few so far, nothing with stellar results.

2. watercam

watercam Gold $$ Contributor

SK Rifle Match and Winchester Super-X 40 gr. HPs gave me .5" 50 yd. groups with mine. CCI SV was OK, not spectacular. I added a rear action screw by drilling and tapping the rear pillar and I did glass bed the action/pillars into the laminate stock.
    It is a pretty great rifle for the money.

JaoeyP likes this.
  3. Peebles24

Peebles24 Gold $$ Contributor

Im shooting about 1 moa at 50 and over 1 moa probably closer to 2 at 100 with cci standard velocity. This is outdoor though. I need to retry my ammo testing.

4. linekin

linekin Silver $$ Contributor

I shoot SK Match in mine. Use to shoot Wolf well too. A friends wouldn't shoot std velocity ammo well & grouped best with CCI Mini Mags. You'll just have to see what yours likes.

Keith

5. kzin

kzin

tenex > center-x > wolf match extra > cci sv > wolf match > junk

Same pattern with all 5 of my 22 rifles(1 savage mk2)

Based on my experience and the fact that the best ammo is statistically proven to be more consistent by the maker I have a lot of trouble with the whole 'my rifle likes best' thing.

6. daleboy

daleboy Silver $$ Contributor

^ Huh ?

FJIM likes this.
  7. 1885Winman4590

1885Winman4590

Hey bud, mine likes center X and eley target the best. SK is a close 3rd. It only seems to like standard velocity.
    Results are +/- 1/4" @ 50, +/-1" @ 100.
    Hope this helps, gotta try em all though. Good shootin

8. Rsadams

Rsadams

There's really no way to answer your question , only to give suggestions.... You could buy two rifles exactly the same and one may like one brand of ammo and one another... .22lr is a finicky mistress , the only way to really find out is to test , clean and test till you find it... Almost every rifle will shoot CCI standered velocity fairly well , like I said almost , not all... Your probably going to find standered velocity ammo to be what you're looking for...

After a good cleaning be sure and shoot say ten rounds of whatever ammo you're testing before shooting for a group... Be sure your rifle is torqued up , scope and rings etc and ready for a day out... Some rifles when new take a bunch of ammo down them before they really dial in and start shooting... It meens your out shooting when testing , so there's worse things...

Mikey_P likes this.
  9. FJIM

FJIM

I must be lucky but I have bought several different lots of SK standard + ammo and every rifle I have shoots it very well maybe not the best but good. I even gave a few boxes to a buddy and two rifles he has shoots it well also.
    Seems to be a nice inexpensive all around good shooting ammo along with the CCI Mini Mag's. But yes a lot of high end match ammo will not shoot well if you do not have a chamber that likes it. Some of it is really designed for a certain chamber and a loose factory chamber most likely wont shoot it well.