Savage axis question

Discussion in 'Competition Forum (All Calibers)' started by spudgun, Jan 14, 2020.

1. spudgun

spudgun

Ok, I have a donor Savage axis, 308 win that I want to re barrel to 6mm Creedmoor.

2 things I wish to do is:

1. Install a better trigger or replace with accu trigger system.
    2. Re stock with Boyds AT one stock.

Is the Axis receiver stronger/weaker than say the Model 12 or 10 receiver?

2. Rat Rifle

Rat Rifle

The Axis receiver is at least as strong as the Savage 10, and can handle any small shank chamberings.

At least one Axis owner has modified Savage bolts to chamber for 300 Win Mag and 7mm Rem Mag. He says his face is still intact ;)

std7mag likes this.
  3. std7mag

std7mag

The axis action is theoretically stiffer than the model 10, 110, 11, 111 as they are open accross the top.
    Don't forget that the axis is a "long" action only. The difference between short action chamberings & long action in the axis plastic stock is actually the trigger guard housing.

4. Hohn

Hohn

I don't think any difference in strength is relevant, whatever chambering used originally is likely close to or similar pressures as a .308.

5. std7mag

std7mag

Strength, no.
    Stiffness would be a different matter.
    The stiffer, the less possible flex, the more consistant.

6. Grimstod

Grimstod Machinist, Designer, and Shooter.

I have an axis and it is about as strong as their 12BR style receivers. Takes any small shank barrel.

6 Needmoor?
    If you want to shoot something accurate perhaps the 6x47 ;)

7. boltfluter

boltfluter

Looks to be a very rigid action with a small loading port. Plus, it's not quite as ugly as the others! :D:D:p

Paul

Stan Taylor and dmoran like this.
  8. wbm

wbm

The Axis is as strong as the 10 or 110's. With the exception of the recoil lug setup I like them better. Have 3. One is a Creedmoor heavy barrel on the Boyd's Light Weight Thumb hole and Rifle Basix Savage 1 Trigger that I prefer over the Accutrigger. Fun to shoot and very accurate.

Ah Geez! Not another one. Give it a rest. This is an AXIS were talking about here! Creedmoor Derangement Syndrome can be treated. And yeah you gonna "needmore" alright, a LOT more. Have to take out a bank loan before ya go with the Lapua unless you got a few Benjamins tucked away for a rainy day. If you're gonna drop that kind of coin go with a 6mm Dasher on something other than a Savage Axis.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2020
    Stan Taylor and dmoran like this.
  9. joe12180

joe12180

C0F3B8C3-2756-446E-99F3-93D6BF789DA8.jpeg The Boyd’s AT1 stocks that I’ve had on Savage rifles tended to split at the rear action screw. I had them on model 10’s and 12s.

MislMan and dmoran like this.
  10. dmoran

dmoran Donovan Moran Silver $$ Contributor

^^^^^ more proof of why pillars (pillar bedding) are a must for accuracy.

Great picture.... thanks for sharing !.!.!

boltfluter, Mark W and wbm like this.
  11. primer popper

primer popper

Jard has a new trigger for the AXIS.